Why was today a good day thread

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
30-05-2016, 06:20 AM
RE: Why was today a good day thread
This same young man sat with my oldest sister and talked quite a bit. She told him she was going to church the next day, and after a while he asked what church.
She replied Unitarian Universalist, and explained how she studied all the religions and how it helped her to be kind to people and other good things.
He asked if she believed in god, and she said no, and explained her position on it. After a good long while, he told her he did not either.
He said, " no god would give a child the childhood I have had"
It is heartbreaking to think about his hard times with a non-present addicted mother and a father who brought more addicted persons into the house, and how he was living with his grandparents because the parents were not capable. At the same time it was good to know that he was not going to live the illusion and try to reconcile his feelings under the fog of Catholicism, that he knew none of it could be his fault at all. He gives me hope.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2016, 01:42 PM
I taught my mother how to pay a bill online.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
31-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Found out the untouched gift card that's been in my wallet for over a year has a hundred bucks on it.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
31-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Prom! My son was so excited about going tonight, and he looked great in his tux.

I wasn't allowed to go to Prom or any other dance when I was in high school (because dancing is fun: therefore, obviously, bad for your soul), and it was great to experience Prom vicariously.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
31-05-2016, 09:11 PM
(31-05-2016 08:43 PM)julep Wrote:  Prom! My son was so excited about going tonight, and he looked great in his tux.

I wasn't allowed to go to Prom or any other dance when I was in high school (because dancing is fun: therefore, obviously, bad for your soul), and it was great to experience Prom vicariously.

Did you live Footloose?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
01-06-2016, 05:26 AM
(31-05-2016 09:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(31-05-2016 08:43 PM)julep Wrote:  Prom! My son was so excited about going tonight, and he looked great in his tux.

Did you live Footloose?

Kind of. Except there was no happy ending for me, just escape from that environment. Church sermons on why syncopation in music was a tool of Satan: staple of my teenage years.

My son had a wonderful time. He got to bust out his best dance moves, and he even got elected to Homecoming Court, which was a total surprise to him.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
02-06-2016, 07:03 PM
(28-05-2016 08:37 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I scored a job interview for a job that is probably the highest-paying job that I am semi-qualified for with my current employer. I've applied for similar positions several times and got nothing but crickets. I even offered to come on and work for free as an intern until a position became available, but was turned down for security policy reasons. I took a big gamble and randomly e-mailed the hiring manager who has no idea who I am. It may have paid off because he said he wanted to interview me. At 6 AM. I think this might be his way of seeing how badly I want the job. Either way, I will be up and at 'em. Been studying for the past 30 something hours now (not straight, of course), hoping to do well. Bad news is - if I don't get it, I probably have screwed any future chance at the position as well, which is the only "upward mobility" job with my current company at my location which I really want - so if I fuck up, I'm probably going to have to score a better gig elsewhere. If I do get it - it's a life-changer for me. Wish me luck.

Fucking nailed the interview - answered every tech question correctly, and have been the only person to do so according to the manager. I may have also been underestimating my value as I apparently am more certified than some of his team. He introduced me to his team, and said he was going to talk to my current manager. Looking good! I'm over the moon excited.

[+] 4 users Like Dark Light's post
02-06-2016, 10:43 PM
(02-06-2016 07:03 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 08:37 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I scored a job interview for a job that is probably the highest-paying job that I am semi-qualified for with my current employer. I've applied for similar positions several times and got nothing but crickets. I even offered to come on and work for free as an intern until a position became available, but was turned down for security policy reasons. I took a big gamble and randomly e-mailed the hiring manager who has no idea who I am. It may have paid off because he said he wanted to interview me. At 6 AM. I think this might be his way of seeing how badly I want the job. Either way, I will be up and at 'em. Been studying for the past 30 something hours now (not straight, of course), hoping to do well. Bad news is - if I don't get it, I probably have screwed any future chance at the position as well, which is the only "upward mobility" job with my current company at my location which I really want - so if I fuck up, I'm probably going to have to score a better gig elsewhere. If I do get it - it's a life-changer for me. Wish me luck.

Fucking nailed the interview - answered every tech question correctly, and have been the only person to do so according to the manager. I may have also been underestimating my value as I apparently am more certified than some of his team. He introduced me to his team, and said he was going to talk to my current manager. Looking good! I'm over the moon excited.

When they ask you how much money you expect (if they haven't already), ask for 20% more than you think that the position pays. Easier to chisel you down than for you to bump it up. My first job out of uni, I didn't do my homework on that question, and asked for about $2k below that company's minimum. That mistake hurt me, my whole "career". I figure that mistake cost me close to $.5M over the 25 years I was there.
02-06-2016, 11:30 PM
(27-05-2016 08:41 AM)Fireball Wrote:  We had a Maltese that just loved to eat paper. Crapped a $1 once.

I'm not going to lie, I'd love a dog that shat money.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
02-06-2016, 11:42 PM
(02-06-2016 11:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(27-05-2016 08:41 AM)Fireball Wrote:  We had a Maltese that just loved to eat paper. Crapped a $1 once.

I'm not going to lie, I'd love a dog that shat money.

Basic economic theory says it'll shit out less than it takes in...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post