Why was today a good day thread

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
10-06-2016, 03:57 PM
RE: Why was today a good day thread
(02-06-2016 07:03 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 08:37 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I scored a job interview for a job that is probably the highest-paying job that I am semi-qualified for with my current employer. I've applied for similar positions several times and got nothing but crickets. I even offered to come on and work for free as an intern until a position became available, but was turned down for security policy reasons. I took a big gamble and randomly e-mailed the hiring manager who has no idea who I am. It may have paid off because he said he wanted to interview me. At 6 AM. I think this might be his way of seeing how badly I want the job. Either way, I will be up and at 'em. Been studying for the past 30 something hours now (not straight, of course), hoping to do well. Bad news is - if I don't get it, I probably have screwed any future chance at the position as well, which is the only "upward mobility" job with my current company at my location which I really want - so if I fuck up, I'm probably going to have to score a better gig elsewhere. If I do get it - it's a life-changer for me. Wish me luck.

Fucking nailed the interview - answered every tech question correctly, and have been the only person to do so according to the manager. I may have also been underestimating my value as I apparently am more certified than some of his team. He introduced me to his team, and said he was going to talk to my current manager. Looking good! I'm over the moon excited.

So - that job I thought I had a good chance at...I didn't get it...

Instead the hiring manager was impressed enough by the interview to offer me an even better position requiring more tech skills! I couldn't believe it! This changes EVERYTHING! The hours suck, but everything else is a dream come true for me!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Dark Light's post
10-06-2016, 04:46 PM
(10-06-2016 03:57 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 07:03 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Fucking nailed the interview - answered every tech question correctly, and have been the only person to do so according to the manager. I may have also been underestimating my value as I apparently am more certified than some of his team. He introduced me to his team, and said he was going to talk to my current manager. Looking good! I'm over the moon excited.

So - that job I thought I had a good chance at...I didn't get it...

Instead the hiring manager was impressed enough by the interview to offer me an even better position requiring more tech skills! I couldn't believe it! This changes EVERYTHING! The hours suck, but everything else is a dream come true for me!

The only way work hours don't suck is if one doesn't have to work (as in, retired). Then one only has oneself to blame.
14-06-2016, 09:12 AM
I'm going to lay back down & go back to glorious sleep.
lovely wonderful sleep Sleepy

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
14-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Went back to the office (it's my first day back in WI) and found my student evals waiting. Ever since I TAed for the first time, I've hated evals and dreaded them. If they're negative, I have to write a written defense and provide documentation and they have way too much input on if I get tenure or not; this actually leads to many faculty "dumbing down" classes to get better reviews. So I was nervous. Mostly good reviews within departmental standard deviation (cause enough to be happy), but I did fall outside the departmental standard deviation in one area and it was on the positive side of being outside it, "Caring for students". Smile

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
14-06-2016, 01:53 PM
(14-06-2016 11:31 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Went back to the office (it's my first day back in WI) and found my student evals waiting. Ever since I TAed for the first time, I've hated evals and dreaded them. If they're negative, I have to write a written defense and provide documentation and they have way too much input on if I get tenure or not; this actually leads to many faculty "dumbing down" classes to get better reviews. So I was nervous. Mostly good reviews within departmental standard deviation (cause enough to be happy), but I did fall outside the departmental standard deviation in one area and it was on the positive side of being outside it, "Caring for students". Smile

Can't have that! Time to dust off the thumbscrews.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
14-06-2016, 03:30 PM
(14-06-2016 01:53 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 11:31 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Went back to the office (it's my first day back in WI) and found my student evals waiting. Ever since I TAed for the first time, I've hated evals and dreaded them. If they're negative, I have to write a written defense and provide documentation and they have way too much input on if I get tenure or not; this actually leads to many faculty "dumbing down" classes to get better reviews. So I was nervous. Mostly good reviews within departmental standard deviation (cause enough to be happy), but I did fall outside the departmental standard deviation in one area and it was on the positive side of being outside it, "Caring for students". Smile

Can't have that! Time to dust off the thumbscrews.

I think you mistake me for a colleague in PoliSci...who probably would if he could. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-06-2016, 03:53 PM
(14-06-2016 03:30 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 01:53 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Can't have that! Time to dust off the thumbscrews.

I think you mistake me for a colleague in PoliSci...who probably would if he could. Wink

Laugh out load We had a math prof like that. If you took a class from that guy, he acted as though his was the only class you were taking. Tons of homework. I dropped his Junior- level applied math class when he announced that the Math majors who were taking that class instead of the second semester of senior level calculus were going to get that material as well. That class was tough enough without putting things in that didn't belong there. I was a double major- math and physics. I knew of two people who managed to get an "A" in one of his classes. I ended up dropping the math major after garnering about 45 units of math, because it would have taken me another year of school, and I'd already been there 6-1/2.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
14-06-2016, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2016 05:11 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(14-06-2016 03:53 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 03:30 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I think you mistake me for a colleague in PoliSci...who probably would if he could. Wink

Laugh out load We had a math prof like that. If you took a class from that guy, he acted as though his was the only class you were taking. Tons of homework. I dropped his Junior- level applied math class when he announced that the Math majors who were taking that class instead of the second semester of senior level calculus were going to get that material as well. That class was tough enough without putting things in that didn't belong there. I was a double major- math and physics. I knew of two people who managed to get an "A" in one of his classes. I ended up dropping the math major after garnering about 45 units of math, because it would have taken me another year of school, and I'd already been there 6-1/2.

Good God that's horrifying. I can't blame you for sticking with just the Physics part then. Similar situation, switched from Computer Security with a Criminal Justice minor to a CJ major in undergrad after a math prof exactly like that. "Discrete Mathematics". 8 started in the class. 2 of us by last day to drop. Dropped with an F somewhere in the 20s percentile wise...only person left was the curve and got an A with a 30 or so percent. I had a full 5 subject notebook filled with notes, he had no book, and self professed horrible penmanship. Tongue

--
Second Good Day reason: Seth's latest podcast has introduced me to people who do my sort of reviews. God Awful Movies is on the podcast today. Post podcast edit: Oh my God, Seth you and your fellow podcasters have introduced me to Nollywood (Nigerian) Christian films. Thank you for this gloriously bad stuff.

18-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Because I got to meet this guy, hear his speech, and get his autograph. Thanks for coming to Mobile Seth

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 7 users Like Captain Congo's post
19-06-2016, 07:50 AM
My son passed his road test today and is now licensed to drive.

The cat celebrated by vomitng on the stairs.Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like julep's post