Why was today a good day thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-09-2013, 10:22 AM
RE: Why was today a good day thread
(02-09-2013 12:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  Oh dear, Lumi will never respect scientists then Tongue
There already are or were a few of such scientists. And there might be one more, when Cjlr finally does his homework Wink

(02-09-2013 12:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  Lumi, go look at a dead human sometime. I had the opportunity a few months ago at an exhibition called BodyWorlds. Humans are packed full of amazing. So much amazing that you almost wonder how the hell it all fits in there.
What you can see at the exhibition isn't human, it's animal. The corpse statue and the horse that it's riding on, there is no difference between them, but taxonomic. What you can see on the streets isn't human either, it's less than that, it's memetic. What we call humans are animals ridden with memes as other animals carry fleas, only fleas don't control their dogs. So what does it mean to be human? When there will be intelligent life on Earth? These are the questions that this exhibit makes me ask. Why don't people ask themselves? I know the answers of course, but they're useless, unless people ask themselves first.

(02-09-2013 12:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  No need to have extra invisible boring stuff tacked on.
Said the astrophysicist and erased all the dark matter and dark energy variables in equations.

You're right, we don't need anything extra to be animals crawling with memes. However, we need a lot of the invisible stuff to become something more than that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2013, 11:11 AM
I started over on Skyrim.

My past two plays I've gone through as a rogue (lock picking, sneak, speech, light armor, one handed, restoration, enchantment.) This time, I think I'll get more into heavy armor and archery, along with alchemy and some illusion magic too. It's always nice to summon a couple draugr or wolves of your own to fight with you when you're lacking a companion.

Skyrim is great stress relief. If only I could find someone who has Oblivion and Marrowind I could borrow.
02-09-2013, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 12:17 PM by Hughsie.)
(02-09-2013 11:11 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I started over on Skyrim.

My past two plays I've gone through as a rogue (lock picking, sneak, speech, light armor, one handed, restoration, enchantment.) This time, I think I'll get more into heavy armor and archery, along with alchemy and some illusion magic too. It's always nice to summon a couple draugr or wolves of your own to fight with you when you're lacking a companion.

Skyrim is great stress relief. If only I could find someone who has Oblivion and Marrowind I could borrow.

I have Oblivion and never got into it. If you weren't a little bitch who has xbox instead of PS3 and lives in a different region to me I'd have happily given it to you.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
02-09-2013, 03:27 PM
(02-09-2013 10:22 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 12:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  No need to have extra invisible boring stuff tacked on.
Said the astrophysicist and erased all the dark matter and dark energy variables in equations.
There is good physical evidence for dark matter, and a body of falsifiable theory - but it's still the new kid on the block, and could easily go the way of phlogiston (going by what I've picked up, which isn't much). Can you say the same of chakra / whatever other mystic stuff you're experiencing with the meditation ? If so, where are the scientists studying it and why is it regarded as fringe science / pseudoscience ?

Quote:You're right, we don't need anything extra to be animals crawling with memes. However, we need a lot of the invisible stuff to become something more than that.
I guess invisible is the wrong word. After all even radio waves are invisible to us. But... I think we become something more when we discard these outdated ideas Tongue
02-09-2013, 04:21 PM
1. Woke up at 2:30pm
2. Froze in horror thinking I was late, but then remembered it's Labor Day. "hahahahaha, fuck you"
3. Had exactly 3 eggs left for an omelet when I did finally get out of bed.

1+2+3 = Good Day Thumbsup

02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
(02-09-2013 03:27 PM)morondog Wrote:  There is good physical evidence for dark matter, and a body of falsifiable theory - but it's still the new kid on the block, and could easily go the way of phlogiston (going by what I've picked up, which isn't much). Can you say the same of chakra / whatever other mystic stuff you're experiencing with the meditation ? If so, where are the scientists studying it and why is it regarded as fringe science / pseudoscience ?
Because the last scientist who was very successful with this, got his name dragged through the mud by pharmacological lobby and then was arrested, his books burned and he died in prison. Nevermind that, but people are social creatures and scientists believe in reputation very much, they are very conservative. There used to be scientists who claimed we will never get to the moon in 1000 years. They did not behave like scientists, but they were very popular and had a good reputation. Scientific method is rational, but the rest of the society really isn't. Just because it has something to do with old traditions, religious people experimenting with their nerve system, is going to deter most scientists. I suppose as long as science is occupied by conservatism, politics, military and commercial projects, these things will not come into fashion.
I believe I've got all the data to make a good case, but it's not easy actually getting someone to look at the data. See, Cjlr hasn't responded yet and he claimed to be competent.

(02-09-2013 03:27 PM)morondog Wrote:  I guess invisible is the wrong word. After all even radio waves are invisible to us. But... I think we become something more when we discard these outdated ideas Tongue
I mean it in all ways, that's how I experienced it. There is at least one more layer to our nerve system than just the biologic one. It's measurable by electrical effects in the living tissue and it has a great effect on consciousness, endocrine system and health. It connects us with our environment in ways previously unimaginable. It's closer to describing what a person is, than our biology or genetics.
I have observed more than that, but this alone is enough to overturn most notions about human nature, life and death. I know science is adventure, but this is a frontier where even an individual like you or me can discover a great deal.

Another way to put it... When I exercise my body of flesh, I suffer, lose fat and gain muscles. But when I exercised my body of energy, I suffered, lost old ideas and prejudices and gained new ways to look at the world.
02-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Slept until 2:15 undisturbed, and my mom brought home a box of 20 piece nuggets for lunch.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ihatethesidebar's post
02-09-2013, 06:20 PM
(02-09-2013 05:20 PM)Luminon Wrote:  See, Cjlr hasn't responded yet and he claimed to be competent.

I'm sorry, what?

... this is my signature!
02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
(02-09-2013 06:20 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 05:20 PM)Luminon Wrote:  See, Cjlr hasn't responded yet and he claimed to be competent.

I'm sorry, what?
That.. What's the matter? Your forgetting, or my impatience?
02-09-2013, 06:55 PM
(02-09-2013 06:49 PM)Luminon Wrote:  That.. What's the matter? Your forgetting, or my impatience?

As far as I knew I had posted last in that thread. Apparently I was mistaken.

If you wanted a response you could have asked me about it, instead of making some passive-aggressive aside in an entirely unrelated thread.
Thumbsup

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post