Why was today a good day thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-09-2013, 11:37 PM
RE: Why was today a good day thread
(02-09-2013 05:20 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Because the last scientist who was very successful with this, got his name dragged through the mud by pharmacological lobby and then was arrested, his books burned and he died in prison.
If this is that orgasmatron guy then I can tell just by reading his long-dead aura that he was a quack.

Quote:Nevermind that, but people are social creatures and scientists believe in reputation very much, they are very conservative. There used to be scientists who claimed we will never get to the moon in 1000 years. They did not behave like scientists, but they were very popular and had a good reputation.
Being wrong is allowed. Being right is extremely difficult and the whole point of the game is to try prove you wrong, if you're a scientist. It was mostly engineering that got us to the Moon. Oh, a bit of science too, the *results* of previously confirmed theories...

Quote:Scientific method is rational, but the rest of the society really isn't. Just because it has something to do with old traditions, religious people experimenting with their nerve system, is going to deter most scientists. I suppose as long as science is occupied by conservatism, politics, military and commercial projects, these things will not come into fashion. I believe I've got all the data to make a good case, but it's not easy actually getting someone to look at the data.
If you can demonstrate this shit in controlled conditions you can grab the Randi prize. What's to lose ? You'd have millions of people instantly interested. Assuming it's not something a priori defined so as to be undetectable such as "gives you angel wings undetectable by modern science". If it *is* so defined, what's the point ? I already got angel wings.

Quote:I mean it in all ways, that's how I experienced it. There is at least one more layer to our nerve system than just the biologic one. It's measurable by electrical effects in the living tissue and it has a great effect on consciousness, endocrine system and health. It connects us with our environment in ways previously unimaginable. It's closer to describing what a person is, than our biology or genetics.
I have observed more than that, but this alone is enough to overturn most notions about human nature, life and death. I know science is adventure, but this is a frontier where even an individual like you or me can discover a great deal.
So write a paper. If they're *your* discoveries, you should claim them. Even if not, write a review paper. Say something like "there's something in old Chinese medicine, here's my evidence". If you're willing to write stuff on the internet, why not for scholars? Worst that can happen is you get rejected.

Quote:Another way to put it... When I exercise my body of flesh, I suffer, lose fat and gain muscles. But when I exercised my body of energy, I suffered, lost old ideas and prejudices and gained new ways to look at the world.
You mean that body of energy which everyone has but only you and a select few seem to be aware of ?

Today was a good day 'cos I woke up early... and now I have had breakfast. Shortly, I shall do some coding... then maybe go for a run. After that I'm not too sure, but today was a good day already.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 06:17 AM
(02-09-2013 06:55 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 06:49 PM)Luminon Wrote:  That.. What's the matter? Your forgetting, or my impatience?

As far as I knew I had posted last in that thread. Apparently I was mistaken.

If you wanted a response you could have asked me about it, instead of making some passive-aggressive aside in an entirely unrelated thread.
Thumbsup
Sorry, I didn't realize it wasn't visible, I use the search username function a lot and it makes the new replies really obvious. I didn't want to pester you about a "homework". I know I can be very intense and obsessive, so I was holding myself back.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
03-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Skyrim instead of school, and enough bagels with cream cheese to make my appendix want to rupture.

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
04-09-2013, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 12:42 PM by Luminon.)
Today I finally got the term and place laid down for my bachelor's degree exams. The winter is coming!

(02-09-2013 11:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  If this is that orgasmatron guy then I can tell just by reading his long-dead aura that he was a quack.
Hey, my aura has more active chakras than yours, so be careful what you say Dodgy Do you mean the Christopher Turner's book? Have you read the review of it?

(02-09-2013 11:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  Being wrong is allowed. Being right is extremely difficult and the whole point of the game is to try prove you wrong, if you're a scientist. It was mostly engineering that got us to the Moon. Oh, a bit of science too, the *results* of previously confirmed theories...
Being wrong is not wrong. Having opinions is wrong. Instead of having an opinion, say, "I don't have information about that."

(02-09-2013 11:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  If you can demonstrate this shit in controlled conditions you can grab the Randi prize. What's to lose ? You'd have millions of people instantly interested. Assuming it's not something a priori defined so as to be undetectable such as "gives you angel wings undetectable by modern science". If it *is* so defined, what's the point ? I already got angel wings.
What's to lose? My university degree, my savings, my time, my reputation and all the things I want to do in this country (perhaps politically or academically), on this continent, not somewhere in America. Maybe I know the best, but I'm the least equipped to prove anything. If I can't make people read one fucking paper from a fucking internet journal, I'm not going to bet my money on it. I need to know how to make people think "wow, I totally want to read that!" and not "I'll wait until it appears in Physics Review." Fuck that. If people can't read or think, there's no guarantee people in Physics Review can read and think.

(02-09-2013 11:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  So write a paper. If they're *your* discoveries, you should claim them. Even if not, write a review paper. Say something like "there's something in old Chinese medicine, here's my evidence". If you're willing to write stuff on the internet, why not for scholars? Worst that can happen is you get rejected.
I didn't discover anything new, I just know which way to point my finger. No, the worst thing is that people will say "I'll wait until it appears in Physics Review. Or Nature." If people don't read the papers that are already written, how can they read anything new? They already have it all, theories, protocols, tests, results, publications... Yet something is missing. Maybe a fad, a change of politics. This deaf ears syndrome worries me. People gave up their brains to the journals. If that is so, then maybe I shouldn't try to give them more science that would allow production of more terrible weapons.

"On the day you need journals to do the reading for you, you deserve the politicians to do the thinking for you" Big Grin (or some other great inspirative quote like that)

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
04-09-2013, 12:35 PM
(04-09-2013 12:29 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Today I finally got the term and place laid down for my bachelor's degree exams. The winter is coming!

Congratulations!

(04-09-2013 12:29 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I didn't discover anything new, I just know which way to point my finger. No, the worst thing is that people will say "I'll wait until it appears in Physics Review. Or Nature." If people don't read the papers that are already written, how can they read anything new? They already have it all, theories, protocols, tests, results, publications... Yet something is missing. Maybe a fad, a change of politics. This deaf ears syndrome worries me. People gave up their brains to the journals. If that is so, then maybe I shouldn't try to give them greater science that would allow production of more terrible weapons.

If something so apparently well-demonstrated is not accepted as credible by the greater body of academic review, then there must be a reason for this discrepancy.

But remember, papers marked "it's a conspiracy" will not be marked.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
(04-09-2013 12:35 PM)cjlr Wrote:  If something so apparently well-demonstrated is not accepted as credible by the greater body of academic review, then there must be a reason for this discrepancy.

And if it's purely ideology that's holding people back from studying it then you yourself, Luminon, are not alone and sooner or later someone will make sense of all the quackery.

All we're asking for is repeatable experiments... there's even a whole friggin' organization set up to test these claims for you, CSICOP (Admittedly seriously lousy choice of acronym). You can send your claims to them - they *investigate* the paranormal or the supernormal or the subparallel (or whatever other random word is in fashion) phenomena. Their purpose is to debunk them, but they do thorough analysis and they publish the results. You are free to criticise them. You are free to find the weak points in their studies. Yo are free to ask for a retrial.

In the unlikely event that even a single one of these things ever checks out, it *will* be instantly front page news everywhere, 'cos who the hell doesn't wanna do astral projection ?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-09-2013, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 03:01 PM by Luminon.)
(04-09-2013 01:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  And if it's purely ideology that's holding people back from studying it then you yourself, Luminon, are not alone and sooner or later someone will make sense of all the quackery.

All we're asking for is repeatable experiments... there's even a whole friggin' organization set up to test these claims for you, CSICOP (Admittedly seriously lousy choice of acronym). You can send your claims to them - they *investigate* the paranormal or the supernormal or the subparallel (or whatever other random word is in fashion) phenomena. Their purpose is to debunk them, but they do thorough analysis and they publish the results. You are free to criticise them. You are free to find the weak points in their studies. Yo are free to ask for a retrial.

In the unlikely event that even a single one of these things ever checks out, it *will* be instantly front page news everywhere, 'cos who the hell doesn't wanna do astral projection ?
CSICOP? I'll check them out, read the website and send them a letter. They seem a better beginning than PLOS Biology. After I'm done with this bachelor exams and thesis defense, I'll give them a try. In fact, I made quite a number of New Year resolutions of long, long neglected things to do if I pass the Bachelor exams Big Grin If they make a shit job of the response, I'll share it with you guys and you can join me in rightful indignation.

All I need them to say, is, "yeah, this stuff is internally consistent and does not contradict the science. It even seems to predict some phenomena. Now that's about all we can do, we never thought of what to do if woo turns out to be real. Unless you attend the next conference, where several senior professors will be obliged to eat their hats."

I can't promise astral travel, that stuff is made of way more exotic matter, but the discovery of etheric body is a stepping stone to it.

The Venus Project
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
04-09-2013, 03:34 PM
I have two essays and trigonometry homework, but I probably won't complete any of it because my friend let me borrow Oblivion today and I just

Weeping Heart

[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
05-09-2013, 02:50 PM
I blitzed loads of money today but I got plenty of clothes and a new pair of shoes which is epic because it means I won't have to go clothes shopping again for ages (I really hate clothes shopping). I also have a new webcam and a new cable for charging my iPhone. Plus, I had KFC and Taco Bell while I was out because that's what I wanted to do and why the fuck not. Smile

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Well, I didn't do my essays last night, but I did do them at school today. I had to write a compare/contrast essay, and the topics I chose were Skyrim and Oblivion. So I basically wrote about what I do on a daily basis, finished my essay in little than thirty minutes, and my teacher loved it.

And that, my little shits, is why today was a good day. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post