Why was today a good day thread

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
28-10-2014, 08:30 PM
RE: Why was today a good day thread
(28-10-2014 08:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 05:02 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I didn't actually know what a pep rally was when I read this. So I googled it and checked out some videos on youtube.

I can certainly see why you would want to avoid going to one of them.

I always wondered why I was supposed to be cheering on some random segment of the school at sports day and consequently why I was meant to wish the rest of the school not to do so well in their sporting endeavours.

How is it educational? It isn't. What's the point of it? To encourage tribalism and to condition the next generation to care about an arbitrary group of people that they have been assigned to so that they can be more easily controlled. And when they enter the work place it means that people have been conditioned to be more easily manipulated by companies, governments and the mass media to be more productive, to accept certain things as true or to go off and die for your cause.

It's exactly the same pack instinct exploited by organised religion. Tell your flock to care about something completely arbitrary that separates them from other humans, get them to emotionally investment in it and they are less likely to question your motives.

Well.....um. I suppose that's one way of looking at it. But where I came from I guarantee that almost nobody there gave a shit about the sports. Pep rallies were nothing more than a chance to get out of class and goof around and let off some steam with your friends and enjoy some comraderie. That's really the long and short of it.

Not everything that is educational has to be academic. Let's be honest, most of what you learn about life in school has nothing to do with the classroom, but is just as important.

Not that I think pep rallies were important per se, but let's not go overboard in condemning something that's really pretty benign. I get that not everybody enjoys them, but damn.

If I wouldn't get disowned by my son, I would find pictures of him dressed as a cheerleader along with other football players for one of their pep rallies and post them here. He was just so cute in pink frosted lip gloss. Tongue

When I was in school the pep rallies were a good way to just have some fun with the whole school in attendance. A pep rally beat mass any day!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
28-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Got my assessment results for a piece of training work I've been doing.

I kicked ass! Big Grin

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 4 users Like CiderThinker's post
28-10-2014, 08:42 PM
(28-10-2014 08:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If I wouldn't get disowned by my son, I would find pictures of him dressed as a cheerleader along with other football players for one of their pep rallies and post them here. He was just so cute in pink frosted lip gloss. Tongue

When I was in school the pep rallies were a good way to just have some fun with the whole school in attendance. A pep rally beat mass any day!

That reminds me of our homecoming rally when I was a freshman. I was in the "Mr. Trojan Pageant" (set up just like a beauty pageant for a bunch of us freshman guys).

I had the cutest pink dress for the evening gown portion, and was still wearing it when I was announced the winner. I played it up perfectly, waving my hands at my face and pulling tissues out of my bra to wipe my tears of joy. Big Grin

The entire town was there (yeah, small town) and I never lived that one down. It's in the damn yearbook. Weeping

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
28-10-2014, 08:50 PM
(28-10-2014 08:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 08:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If I wouldn't get disowned by my son, I would find pictures of him dressed as a cheerleader along with other football players for one of their pep rallies and post them here. He was just so cute in pink frosted lip gloss. Tongue

That reminds me of our homecoming rally when I was a freshman. I was in the "Mr. Trojan Pageant" (set up just like a beauty pageant for a bunch of us freshman guys).

I had the cutest pink dress for the evening gown portion, and was still wearing it when I was announced the winner. I played it up perfectly, waving my hands at my face and pulling tissues out of my bra to wipe my tears of joy. Big Grin

The entire town was there (yeah, small town) and I never lived that one down. It's in the damn yearbook. Weeping

That's awesome!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
28-10-2014, 08:52 PM
(28-10-2014 08:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

Hey now... You know the rules!!!! Pics or it didn't happen Drinking Beverage

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
28-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Good lord don't tell him!

[img][Image: 25938_522137811607_486775_n_zpseffb78c7.jpg][/img]

I think the hairy belly is a nice touch where the top is notched. Tongue

And the tattoo is a nice touch - doncha think?

[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
28-10-2014, 09:02 PM
(28-10-2014 08:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Good lord don't tell him!

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
If you were my mom, I'd kill you! But, your secret is safe with me Yes

You're right though - the lip gloss, tattoo,and belly hair really work well together Wink

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
28-10-2014, 09:04 PM
(28-10-2014 09:02 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 08:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Good lord don't tell him!

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

You're right though - the lip gloss, tattoo,and belly hair really work well together Wink

Found the picture on his Facebook so...fair game?

28-10-2014, 09:05 PM
(28-10-2014 09:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 09:02 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Found the picture on his Facebook so...fair game?

Ah, this is true Yes

28-10-2014, 09:19 PM
(28-10-2014 08:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Hey now... You know the rules!!!! Pics or it didn't happen Drinking Beverage

Oh I hate you so much right now. Dodgy

[Image: 20141028_221153_zpsondl9wyz.jpg]

And during the swimsuit competition...

[Image: 20141028_221045_zpsr79j5wtv.jpg]

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post