Why we must fight religious indoctrination, example #3,481,284

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Why we must fight religious indoctrination, example #3,481,284
I am often asked (usually on Facebook) why we atheists are so "hateful" about religion. Every so often, meaning a few times a day, I come across an example of why, though I know they wouldn't see it, so I don't bother listing them for the people who ask. However, occasionally I see one that is an example of why secularists must fight for the rights of women and anyone else the religious community would try to harm.

Article and video, below. (Caution, violent and disturbing.)

http://mrdemocratic.com/2015/06/1000-mus...y-graphic/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
25-07-2015, 12:44 PM
RE: Why we must fight religious indoctrination, example #3,481,284
Incidentally, the title of this is inaccurate. Those aren't Muslims stoning her. They are Yazidis who were angry that she wanted to convert to Islam for a man she loved. Ooooh, The Truth™ of Religions that must be enforced by violence! Rolleyes

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
25-07-2015, 01:17 PM
(25-07-2015 12:34 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I am often asked (usually on Facebook) why we atheists are so "hateful" about religion. Every so often, meaning a few times a day, I come across an example of why, though I know they wouldn't see it, so I don't bother listing them for the people who ask. However, occasionally I see one that is an example of why secularists must fight for the rights of women and anyone else the religious community would try to harm.

We must/should oppose indoctrination cause it's rob others of chance to find their own way and impose on them primitive taboos.

While there is more reasons to fight it for me reason stated above is enough.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
25-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Not gonna read it 'cos I hate this kind of shit and I'll just be even more angry but this kind of bullshit needs to be eradicated. What the fuck is with the religious and this assumption of some kind of right to interfere in other people's lives? This is extreme but... there's all kinds of harmful shit that they are explicitly to blame for, from oppression of gays to sectarian violence to fucking *everything*. Imagine a world without religious wars. What the fuck would we kill each other over? How fucking hard can it be?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
25-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Their culture sucks - big time.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
25-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Fucking savages.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
28-07-2015, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2015 04:41 PM by Lienda Bella.)
(25-07-2015 12:44 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Rolleyes

Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
28-07-2015, 11:45 PM
(25-07-2015 01:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 12:34 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I am often asked (usually on Facebook) why we atheists are so "hateful" about religion. Every so often, meaning a few times a day, I come across an example of why, though I know they wouldn't see it, so I don't bother listing them for the people who ask. However, occasionally I see one that is an example of why secularists must fight for the rights of women and anyone else the religious community would try to harm.

We must/should oppose indoctrination cause it's rob others of chance to find their own way and impose on them primitive taboos.

Give power to atheists and they will become communists. Atheists killed millions and millions of people in former USSR.
I do not talk about atheists who do not seek power.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
29-07-2015, 12:07 AM
(28-07-2015 11:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  Give power to atheists and they will become communists. Atheists killed millions and millions of people in former USSR.

You're nuts, kid. Just FYI.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-07-2015, 12:39 AM
(28-07-2015 11:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 01:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  We must/should oppose indoctrination cause it's rob others of chance to find their own way and impose on them primitive taboos.

Give power to atheists and they will become communists. Atheists killed millions and millions of people in former USSR.

Wait.

Communism.

As in, ownership of the means of production (farms, factories, et cetera) and management of the economy by the bureaucracy of the state, as governed by a solitary party?

Atheism leads to this?

I mean, I'd get if you said that Communism leads to atheism and the oppression of religion. Most Communist regimes have adopted the position that organized religion challenges the party's control of the state, and have cracked down on it to maintain power and advance their ideologically economic agenda. Not ALWAYS, mind you, but often. So, yeah, Communism promotes atheism, I could kinda see where that claim would have backing. And Communism leads to oppressive regimes because of the whole one-party, government-domination thing. But that's not oppression BECAUSE of atheism. That's oppression BECAUSE of communism, and atheism because of communism. Caused by the same factor, rather than one causing the other. It's not akin to the OP, which was about violence springing FROM religion.

But the other way around? With the causal implication in the other direction? Atheism leads to a specific governmental model of state-owned and -managed economics and single-party politics? Where the fuck is that coming from? How is that logically connected AT ALL?

Oh. Wait. Fox News, Pat Robertson, and all those other right-wing propaganda whores* say it, so it must be true.

If anyone who is reading this and ISN'T caught in the bubble of the religious right wants to know what a secular state looks like, check out most of Scandanavia. Highly secular, high populations of open atheists, very low crime rate, general prosperity, free market... some regulation, but not state-owned and -operated... healthy democracies, not always trying to race into the next war with someone on the other side of the planet, basically some of the best places to live on Earth.

* Actually, I have a hell of a lot more respect for prostitutes than those guys.
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post