Why we should have gratitude for talking snakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2015, 11:32 PM
Why we should have gratitude for talking snakes
From God of Organized Religion by Robert Green Ingersoll

The first account we have of the Devil is found in that purely scientific book, Genesis, and is as follows:

Now, the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field that the Lord God had made, and he said unto the woman, “Yea, hath God said that ye shall not eat of the trees of the garden?” And the woman said unto the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden, but of the fruit of tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die”.

And the serpent said unto the woman, “Ye shall not surely die, for God doth know that in the day thou eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened and thou shall be as gods, knowing good and evil”. And when the woman saw that the fruit was good for and pleasant to the eye and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof and did eat and gave, also, unto her husband with her, and he did eat”.

And the Lord God said, “Behold the man has become as one of us, to know good and evil and now, lest he put forth his hand and take, also, of the tree of life and eat and live forever”. Therefore, the Lord God sent him forth from the Garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken. So he drove out the man and he placed at the east of the Garden of Eden cherubims and a flaming sword which turned every way to keep the way of the tree of life.

According to this account, the promise of the Devil was fulfilled to the very letter. Adam and Eve did not not die and they did become as gods, knowing good and evil. The account shows, however, that the gods dreaded education and knowledge, then, just as do now. The church still faithfully guards the dangerous tree of knowledge and has exerted, in all ages, her utmost power to keep mankind from eating the fruit thereof.

The priests have never ceased repeating the old falsehood and the old threat: “Ye shall not eat of it neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die”. From every pulpit comes the same cry born of the same fear: “Lest they eat and become as gods, knowing good and evil”. For this reason, religion hates science; faith detests reason; theology is the sworn enemy of philosophy, and the church with it's flaming sword still guards the hated tree and like its supposed curses to the lowest depths, the brave thinkers who eat and become as gods.

If the account given in Genesis is really true, aught we not, after all, to thank this serpent. He was the first schoolmaster, the first advocate of learning; the first enemy of ignorance; the first to whisper in human ears the sacred word “Liberty”; the creator of ambition; the author of modesty, of inquiry, of doubt, of investigation, of progress, and of civilization. Give me the storm and the tempest of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith.

Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like 666wannabe's post
20-12-2015, 12:02 AM
RE: Why we should have gratitude for talking snakes
I would have eaten both the fruit and the snake.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
20-12-2015, 12:05 AM
I would not eat the snake. Tongue I would keep him as a pet and tell Adam and God to go screw themselves like Lilith did.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-12-2015, 05:10 AM
(20-12-2015 12:05 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I would not eat the snake. Tongue I would keep him as a pet and tell Adam and God to go screw themselves like Lilith did.

Depends on what kind of snake it was/is/whatever. One doesn't want a death adder as a pet. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
20-12-2015, 08:10 AM
If there were any truth to the myth, it would be more likely that Yahweh is a powerful, yet tyrannical ruler and the Devil was a servant with inside knowledge who knew that the only way to destroy the evil ruler was to "wake up" nation.
20-12-2015, 08:18 AM
Because the myth of the snake and the plant granting immortality is one of the most fascinating Babylonian myths, from which the assemblers/editors of the Hebrew texts took directly, their myths, when they cooked up their own national history/epic.

" 'There is a plant that looks like a box-thorn, it has prickles like a dogrose, and will prick one who plucks it. But if you can possess this plant, you'll be again as you were in your youth'. 'This plant, Ur-shanabi, is the "Plant of Heartbeat", with it a man can regain his vigour. To Uruk-the-sheepfold I will take it, to an ancient I will feed some and put the plant to the test' "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid160188

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Snakes can't talk. Simple as that.
20-12-2015, 11:27 AM
(20-12-2015 05:10 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 12:05 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I would not eat the snake. Tongue I would keep him as a pet and tell Adam and God to go screw themselves like Lilith did.

Depends on what kind of snake it was/is/whatever. One doesn't want a death adder as a pet. Wink

My biggest laugh from that fable is that some relgionists say that the snake had legs before he did that dastardly deed and God took his legs away. I have heard people swear that that is in the Babble, but they cannot find it, but know it is there.
20-12-2015, 12:33 PM
(20-12-2015 12:02 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I would have eaten both the fruit and the snake.

"Never experiment on species with members capable of calculus; simple rule, never broke it." - Dr. Mordin Solus, Mess Effect 2

And by extension, don't eat it. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
21-12-2015, 07:02 AM
It's a good thing they invented religion.

For, if there was no religion, there'd be no churches.

Because since Ronald Regan made all the cuts back in the 80's without churches, there's be no place to send the crazyassed people who believe in talking snakes, burning bushes, worldwide floods and other such obnoxious drivel.......

There's just not enough room in the asylum anymore.......

Without churches, where would we put all these nutters???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post