Why wont prayer heal amputees ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2013, 02:04 PM
RE: Why wont prayer heal amputees ?
(01-11-2013 01:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  What the journalist said was that there is insufficient evidence to show that his leg had actually been amputated.

When he used the word "journalist" I took it to mean the people who recorded the event at or around the time it happened. Not the guy who wrote the skeptic version almost 400 years later.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2013, 02:12 PM
(28-10-2013 10:37 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Dude you have to go back to the 17th century to dig that shit up?

Shoo fly!

Your criticism is silly.

I have to go back to the 17th century to find documentation of the last supernova to be observed with the naked eye. Somethings are just rare occurrences and because they don't happen in your lifetime, doesn't mean they didn't happen.

Dude you can do better....No?

Shoo fly.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

01-11-2013, 03:13 PM
(01-11-2013 01:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Also there is a difference between acknowledging something as evidence and accepting that evidence as definitive proof. There are different kinds of evidence...you should know this if you are a scientist. I acknowledge that the case of the Miracle of Calanda is circumstantial evidence that supports a particular world view......while you pretend it isn't evidence at all by concocting new "facts" to hand wave away the evidence.....which is silly in my opinion.

There are indeed several senses in which the word evidence is used. You, facetiously, skip merrily from one to the next when it suits you, without acknowledging so.

Now, your insane troll logic here appears to be:
A claim is made. The evidence used to support this claim is specious. But because the claim is not refuted by the very materials used to support it, any refutation is therefore dependent on externally introduced 'facts' and is thus invalid.

Because a claim having been made is apparently to be construed as evidence of the claim itself. You... are aware that this line of 'argument' lends itself to supporting, oh, every single claim ever made by anyone, yes?

"There exists circumstantial evidence which, when examined uncritically from a certain point of view, supports that view".
That's literally all you've got here - and you're only saying so on behalf of other people. You don't even accept the evidence as constituting definitiveproof.

There exist documents which attest to the fact that Pellicer possessed, at one point in time, two legs. There exists no documentation whatseover beyond fourth-hand post-hoc "eyewitnesses" that he ever possessed, at any point in time prior to that, one leg.

"An eyewitness account from the 1600s related by a later author" is not compelling evidence. This is the same level of evidence we might consider in favour of Blemmyes and Vegetable Lambs. But, of course, to ask for any further documentation of the existence of Blemmyes and Vegetable Lambs before accepting their existence would be "handwaving away evidence because it doesn't fit one's worldview".

Yep. Perfectly logical.

Even for an acquitted defendent, the evidence for the prosecution is, indeed, evidence. Except that's not, in any way, the point. It is less compelling than the alternative. That's the point.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
01-11-2013, 03:15 PM
(01-11-2013 02:04 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 01:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  What the journalist said was that there is insufficient evidence to show that his leg had actually been amputated.

When he used the word "journalist" I took it to mean the people who recorded the event at or around the time it happened. Not the guy who wrote the skeptic version almost 400 years later.

Your reading of it is incorrect.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
I've heard about microsurgery reattaching limbs... but I don't think prayer helps with that (O, we thank thee Med School...).

To each his own!
01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
(01-11-2013 03:21 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  To each his own!

In the case of reattaching limbs this is a safe option.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
01-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Because it's bullshit Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
01-11-2013, 03:43 PM
(01-11-2013 03:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 03:21 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  To each his own!

In the case of reattaching limbs this is a safe option.

You can say that again!

[Image: 000strangelove.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Dr Strangelove FTW!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-11-2013, 03:50 PM
(01-11-2013 03:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  Dr Strangelove FTW!

I need to watch that film.