Why you choose to not believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Why you choose to not believe?
I can understand the obvious flaws in all the mainstream religious belief systems. What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?
------------------------------------
I guess my basic line of reasoning can be summed up as follows..

-We're unable to discern a method to establish the likelihood of one, or the other.
-I see life/living as preferable to death/nonexisting.
-In the absence of the ability to discern possibility/probability you should choose what makes you most happy.

My end game from this would be that its rational to believe, and not rational to not believe.
---------------------------------------

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing your views
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 04:31 PM
RE: Why you choose to not believe?
Available evidence and probability.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
29-10-2014, 04:33 PM
(29-10-2014 04:31 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Available evidence and probability.

What evidence? How are you ascertaining probability?
29-10-2014, 04:36 PM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I can understand the obvious flaws in all the mainstream religious belief systems. What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?

-We're unable to discern a method to establish the likelihood of one, or the other.
-In the absence of the ability to discern possibility/probability you should choose what makes you most happy.

My end game from this would be that its rational to believe, and not rational to not believe.

I don't choose not to believe. I simply do not believe things for which there is no evidence.

Wanting something to be true doesn't make it true, and I prefer to avoid delusions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 18 users Like Chas's post
29-10-2014, 04:37 PM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I can understand the obvious flaws in all the mainstream religious belief systems. What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?

Pascal's Wager.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/pasc-wag/
It's been shown to be irrational many times, in many places.
http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics/pascals-wager.htm
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics...wager.html

Do you chose to believe in teapots orbiting the sun ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
It isn't a choice.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 9 users Like Anjele's post
(29-10-2014 04:33 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 04:31 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Available evidence and probability.

What evidence? How are you ascertaining probability?

There is no evidence for any gods, so the probability that any do seems very low.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2014, 04:40 PM
I don't believe in unicorns either though it would be really cool to see one. And, if I ever do see one - I will believe in them. 'Cause - proof...not choice.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 11 users Like Anjele's post
29-10-2014, 04:43 PM
(29-10-2014 04:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 04:33 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  What evidence? How are you ascertaining probability?

There is no evidence for any gods, so the probability that any do seems very low.

And also the plausibility of such a thing as a god, whatever definition you can come up with, is extremely low when you take into account scientific knowledge which is based on evidence.
29-10-2014, 04:47 PM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  ---
What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?
---

"A godless universe without the chance of an afterlife" hmm.... sounds like a lottery.

I don't view an afterlife to be a necessary requisite for life or living. In fact, I am quite fulfilled living right now and only living and striving for a better world to exist after I am dead. I don't need to have a stake in some after death experience in order to be happy right now. Shy

(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  My end game from this would be that its rational to believe, and not rational to not believe.
---

Well, good for you. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post