Why you choose to not believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 04:48 PM
RE: Why you choose to not believe?
(29-10-2014 04:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't believe in unicorns either though it would be really cool to see one. And, if I ever do see one - I will believe in them. 'Cause - proof...not choice.

Unicorns are more plausible than gods. A rhinoceros has a single horn. Plenty of horse like creatures have evolved (horses, donkeys, zebras). It is plausible that a unicorn could have evolved if things turned out differently. Or maybe genetic modification could eventually create a unicorn from a horse?

But because there is no evidence of a unicorn ever existing then this alone is enough to lack a belief in their existence.

It is not plausible though that a god could exist because it would violate a lot of what we know to be true based on scientific evidence. So there's even less reason to believe in the existence of a god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 04:49 PM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I can understand the obvious flaws in all the mainstream religious belief systems. What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?
------------------------------------
I guess my basic line of reasoning can be summed up as follows..

-We're unable to discern a method to establish the likelihood of one, or the other.
-I see life/living as preferable to death/nonexisting.
-In the absence of the ability to discern possibility/probability you should choose what makes you most happy.

My end game from this would be that its rational to believe, and not rational to not believe.
---------------------------------------

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing your views

No evidence for god or gods. Don't want an afterlife. Living for eternity would be worse than hell. Ick.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-10-2014, 04:51 PM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife?

Are you saying that you chose to believe in a god and an afterlife because you wanted it to be true rather than because you thought it actually was?

So really you are admitting that you are deliberately fooling yourself?
29-10-2014, 04:52 PM
(29-10-2014 04:48 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 04:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't believe in unicorns either though it would be really cool to see one. And, if I ever do see one - I will believe in them. 'Cause - proof...not choice.

Unicorns are more plausible than gods. A rhinoceros has a single horn. Plenty of horse like creatures have evolved (horses, donkeys, zebras). It is plausible that a unicorn could have evolved if things turned out differently. Or maybe genetic modification could eventually create a unicorn from a horse?

But because there is no evidence of a unicorn ever existing then this alone is enough to lack a belief in their existence.

It is not plausible though that a god could exist because it would violate a lot of what we know to be true based on scientific evidence. So there's even less reason to believe in the existence of a god.

Yeah, I realize that my unicorn sighting is much more likely.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
29-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Quote: What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife?

And if you believe in it and it is all bullshit do you think it will happen?

Do you still clap for Tinkerbelle, too?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
29-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Jackson the God-Slayer is the reason I don't believe.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
29-10-2014, 04:55 PM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?

An afterlife presumes dualism. Dualism is untenable and incoherent. Many have tried. All have failed. But have a go at it if you like.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-10-2014, 04:59 PM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I can understand the obvious flaws in all the mainstream religious belief systems. What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?

-We're unable to discern a method to establish the likelihood of one, or the other.
-In the absence of the ability to discern possibility/probability you should choose what makes you most happy.

My end game from this would be that its rational to believe, and not rational to not believe.

I am not sure if anyone has said this before yet, as I have not read anything beyond your post, BUT!, Belief is not a choice.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
29-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Bad example. Unicorns exist. I've seen them and they are fabulous.

[Image: unicorn.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-10-2014, 05:01 PM
(29-10-2014 04:59 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  

I am not sure if anyone has said this before yet, as I have not read anything beyond your post, BUT!, Belief is not a choice.

Please refer to post #8.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat