Why you choose to not believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 06:10 AM
RE: Why you choose to not believe?
(01-11-2014 03:12 AM)Switz5678 Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 10:49 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  No need to apologize to me. You can always lie to yourself to try to make yourself feel better. You know, pretend to have "faith" in the existence of an afterlife/god. If every logical part of your brain says that the possibility seems irrational, then I doubt it will give you much peace.
Seems, to me, like it would be better to accept what seems most realistic and learn to be happy with that.

I'm not lying to myself. Every logical part of my brain points to the idea that it's irrational to consider I know the possibility. I do accept that which is more realistic, it is you who needs to reconsider. This isn't considering things like the possibility of living from a 5280 foot free fall, or the possibility of winning the lottery.. This is something that really nothing can be said besides the fact that we wonder about it. I'm not claiming that any religions have it right in any way shape or form, and therefor I carry none of the baggage that follows these religions, which is easily dismissed. This god could be some alien, and we are in a computer simulation for all I know..Afterlife conditions? don't fucking have a clue.. With all that said, what I'm claiming is that you should entertain the scenario which makes you most happy at this point. If you would rather wait for evidence that you might not ever attain instead, and that takes precedence over your happiness then I think that's stupid. On the other hand, if you wont gain some happiness from entertaining some scenario, and => don't.. Well that is perfectly reasonable to me.

I can only describe what you have been saying as cognitive dissonance. In one sentence you say, "I do accept that which is more realistic" and then "... entertain the scenario which makes you most happy" (I assume you speak of an afterlife), those two are exclusive of one another.

Lost and Insecure pretty much sums it up for you in her response above.

You can't go around saying you are realistic and at the same time "entertain" ideas that are merely wishful thinking. It seems to me that you are having a terrible time of coming to grips with what you already suspect and that is of your own mortality. People have probably been struggling with this since the dawn of our species so you aren't alone. You are almost there.

Once you internalize and accept that your life and consciousness will cease to exist there will be a feeling of loss that quickly passes and is replaced with a feeling of liberation and urgency. Everything will seem precious, you will take people for granted less often, you won't pass up the opportunity to do someone a favor, you'll love deeper and feel more alive than you have ever felt. I know I did. Good luck.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 08:51 AM
(31-10-2014 10:21 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 06:05 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  So I can look forward to none of my points or objections being addressed at all then?

I will tomorrow perhaps..

Try to at least make your answers intellectually consistent and based in reality. It's conducive to good conversation.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
01-11-2014, 08:54 AM
It is not a choice!!!!!!!

that is all - move on

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
01-11-2014, 09:11 AM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I can understand the obvious flaws in all the mainstream religious belief systems. What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?
------------------------------------
I guess my basic line of reasoning can be summed up as follows..

-We're unable to discern a method to establish the likelihood of one, or the other.
-I see life/living as preferable to death/nonexisting.
-In the absence of the ability to discern possibility/probability you should choose what makes you most happy.

My end game from this would be that its rational to believe, and not rational to not believe.
---------------------------------------

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing your views

I have a picture of afterlife here:

[Image: 24o14rd.jpg]

-Man has long viewed life/living as preferable to death/nonexisting

-choosing to fabricate a fairy tale to tell your children and each other that after a life of servitude, bowing and scraping and fervent prayer, when you die, if you are deemed to have been a good little boy, you get to live in a magical place called heaven for ever and ever, filled with all of your loved ones, puppies and rainbows....is not only sad, and childish, but an indication of an innate inability to deal with life/death without a self created emotional crutch to lean on.

I posit it is not rational, nor advised, to cling to a made up fairy tale, simply because some people lack the mental and emotional resilience to just LIVE. Death comes to us all, and it part of life, no reason to fear it. We also fear death because we associate it with pain.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
01-11-2014, 01:18 PM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I can understand the obvious flaws in all the mainstream religious belief systems. What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?
------------------------------------
I guess my basic line of reasoning can be summed up as follows..

-We're unable to discern a method to establish the likelihood of one, or the other.
-I see life/living as preferable to death/nonexisting.
-In the absence of the ability to discern possibility/probability you should choose what makes you most happy.

My end game from this would be that its rational to believe, and not rational to not believe.
---------------------------------------

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing your views

I dared to get an education.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
01-11-2014, 01:30 PM
(01-11-2014 08:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  It is not a choice!!!!!!!

that is all - move on

I haven't been checking up on this thread as much as everyone else, but hasn't this been said and proven a dozen times? Is he/she still fighting that fact or have we moved onto something different?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
01-11-2014, 01:34 PM
(01-11-2014 09:11 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I posit it is not rational, nor advised, to cling to a made up fairy tale, simply because some people lack the mental and emotional resilience to just LIVE. Death comes to us all, and it part of life, no reason to fear it. We also fear death because we associate it with pain.

It's a character flaw. A manufacturing defect. I expect recall, oops, I mean rapture, notices any day now.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
01-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Held out as long as I could. Blush

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Haven't read all the posts, but just because you believe something doesn't make it true. It's only true if there's proof and there's no proof of God. I'm on the search for the truth and won't accept some fairy tale just because it sounds nice. Just because it sounds nice doesn't make it true. No evidence = no conclusion. No evidence of God = No conclusion to whether or not god exists.

Same thing with sasquatch. No evidence of sasquatch = no conclusion to whether or not sasquatch exists.

Same thing with ghosts and the tooth fairy. You can see why we don't believe. Same thing for this question: is there life elsewhere in the universe? No evidence = no conclusion. It's very logical and simple really.

Hope that helps you understand the agnostic atheists' point of view.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes smileXsmileXsmile's post
01-11-2014, 10:05 PM
(01-11-2014 08:51 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 10:21 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I will tomorrow perhaps..

Try to at least make your answers intellectually consistent and based in reality. It's conducive to good conversation.

I looked through your posts, and I don't see the need to address your points. You go for personal attacks, and others have already made more developed arguments without doing so.