Why you choose to not believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 05:02 PM
RE: Why you choose to not believe?
Because it's embarrassing to be the only guy in the room still praying to Wotan.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 05:02 PM
(29-10-2014 04:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 04:48 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Unicorns are more plausible than gods. A rhinoceros has a single horn. Plenty of horse like creatures have evolved (horses, donkeys, zebras). It is plausible that a unicorn could have evolved if things turned out differently. Or maybe genetic modification could eventually create a unicorn from a horse?

But because there is no evidence of a unicorn ever existing then this alone is enough to lack a belief in their existence.

It is not plausible though that a god could exist because it would violate a lot of what we know to be true based on scientific evidence. So there's even less reason to believe in the existence of a god.

Yeah, I realize that my unicorn sighting is much more likely.
Especially if it's narwhalsSmile
Those nobility types passed off narwhals tusk as unicorn horn. Sure makes a great conversational piece.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
29-10-2014, 05:03 PM
(29-10-2014 04:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 04:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't believe in unicorns either though it would be really cool to see one. And, if I ever do see one - I will believe in them. 'Cause - proof...not choice.

Bad example. Unicorns exist. I've seen them and they are fabulous.

[Image: unicorn.jpg]

I choose not to believe in those. No

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
29-10-2014, 05:04 PM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I can understand the obvious flaws in all the mainstream religious belief systems. What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?

It is not a choice, it's an obligate condition dictated by my understanding of the relevant facts and evidence.

I could not believe in the supernatural even if I wanted to, because you don't control what you believe. You can control what you profess, what you claim to believe, but what you actually believe is determined by what you think you know; and ideally is subject to change with the addition of new information.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
29-10-2014, 05:13 PM
(29-10-2014 04:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It isn't a choice.

Thread over. Move along, people, nothing more to see here...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
29-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Bucky Ball-
I'm familiar with pascals wager.. I don't think that this is an off-shoot of pascals wager. I'm not making an argument about gain/loss post-death.
-------
If choose to believe in what you do based on tangible evidence, and that choice makes you most happy I can understand that.
-------
Chas

My argument doesn't hinge on wanting something to be true.. I agree wanting something to be true can be very dangerous. The main reason I turned away from Christianity is because I began to wonder if I believed for good reasons, or believed because I wanted it to be true. For me this has been a painful experience.

-------

I see probability as a very fickle thing when applied outside of mathematics. Take for example this scenario

First and foremost I believe in evolution

Person A (believes in evolution)
The chances must be astronomical for the constituents required for the complex chemistry to turn into biology, and then go through selective processing to end with us humans.

Person B (mental illness)
I have a mental illness, and evolution is just some kind of mental projection distorting what I perceive to be reality.. I'm crazy

Which is more likely?

Have you read the Boltzmann brain paradox? its very interesting
29-10-2014, 05:16 PM
(29-10-2014 05:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 04:59 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I am not sure if anyone has said this before yet, as I have not read anything beyond your post, BUT!, Belief is not a choice.

Please refer to post #8.

OK! I gave that post a thumbs up for ya!

I think we have well established that belief is not a choice.

Also, SWITZ5678, I want you to watch this video by AronRA! I think this video should be able to wrap up anything else that can be left lingering around that the OP might be able to dredge up.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
29-10-2014, 05:17 PM
(29-10-2014 05:13 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  Person A (believes in evolution)
The chances must be astronomical for the constituents required for the complex chemistry to turn into biology...

Which isn't a matter of evolution. Since evolution applies only once there is biology...

(29-10-2014 05:13 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  ... and then go through selective processing to end with us humans.

Unlikely, yes. But it happened.

(29-10-2014 05:13 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  Person B (mental illness)
I have a mental illness, and evolution is just some kind of mental projection distorting what I perceive to be reality.. I'm crazy

Which is more likely?

I can't prove I'm not a brain in a jar, either. So what?

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
(29-10-2014 05:13 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 04:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It isn't a choice.

Thread over. Move along, people, nothing more to see here...

In reality you're not taking on my argument in its strongest form. Perhaps choose to believe was a poor choice of words.
I'm sorry guys there are so many responses I can keep up with them.. I'm trying hahahaha
[+] 1 user Likes Switz5678's post