Why you choose to not believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 05:32 PM
RE: Why you choose to not believe?
(29-10-2014 05:28 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 05:23 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  No what I'm saying is that since I can't gain the insight to form a solid belief based on evidence I choose to believe in afterlife/god/unicorn. If I were to know better through evidence, and then choose to believe despite that evidence I would be deliberately fooling myself.

And here we have it yet again. A characteristic common to all ardent theists or zealots. An inability to think in relative terms, only absolutes. You can't absolutely know one thing therefore anything goes.

No. One is more plausible than another.

You've got it all wrong here my friend.. I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2014 05:39 PM by Clockwork.)
You've caught me in a bad mood, so I'm going to reply.

(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I can understand the obvious flaws in all the mainstream religious belief systems. What I can't understand is why the choice to believe in a Godless universe without the chance of afterlife? or even an afterlife without a God entity?
If you understand the obvious flaws, then I'm not sure how exactly you could take any religion seriously. That's part of the point. We didn't choose to stop believing. I believe in trees because I see them. I believe in wind because I see the physical ramifications of wind and storms. What I don't believe in is deities because I don't see them. Anything attributed to them can be explained or at least be seen by another point of view.

Seeing the world with its finite life-death cycle is opposition to unfounded beliefs in religions. We see many things born, live, and die. An afterlife does not click with what we've seen. However, other life going on after we die does. One day I'll be worm food. When an animal or plant dies, its constituent parts go on to feed other life. Does consciousness live on? Don't know 100%, but until we die, we won't know.

(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  -We're unable to discern a method to establish the likelihood of one, or the other.
Going by that thinking, why not believe in all religions? After all, one is just as likely as the other. But good luck trying to get them all to fit together.

(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  I see life/living as preferable to death/nonexisting.
What we want and wish for do not matter. I would like to know that tomorrow I will wake up, but I cannot say for certain. It doesn't matter that we would like another century or two to live on. Death is a necessary part of life. Otherwise, the world would have been overrun by humans long ago. You didn't exist a century ago, so why is the other side of not existing any different? The world was fine without me and you, and it will be fine again when we're long gone.

(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  In the absence of the ability to discern possibility/probability you should choose what makes you most happy.
But how is trying to believe in something making anyone happy? I can't go back to being a Catholic or a Kabbalist. I can't become a Satanist. I can't become a Hindu. I can't become part of the Bahá'í Faith. Why? I can't just say, hey, a certain number of people believe, so why shouldn't I? I may as well believe in the probability of growing wings and becoming a superhero.

(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  My end game from this would be that its rational to believe, and not rational to not believe.
Is it rational to believe something for which you have no proof? Is it rational to make things up or memorize apologists' logical twisting? Is it rational to just say the hell with that wonderful wet blob inside your skull that tells you otherwise?

I didn't choose to stop believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, God, Ayn Sof (אין סוף), or the monster under my bed. What I did was realize that they're not real, I have no reason to believe in them, and therefore the phantom hold they had on my psyche chipped away.
[+] 4 users Like Clockwork's post
29-10-2014, 05:36 PM
[/quote]

I can't prove I'm not a brain in a jar, either. So what?
[/quote]

The so what is that one is more probable then the other, and I don't think that its evolution. This is why probability as a way of reasoning is a double-edged sword
29-10-2014, 05:37 PM
(29-10-2014 04:28 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  My end game from this would be that its rational to believe, and not rational to not believe.
---------------------------------------

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing your views

You actually think your god is so fucking stupid he wouldn't know what you're up to ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-10-2014, 05:38 PM
I believe in magic..... Does that go along with your theories?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
29-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Still waiting for why you think you can possibly survive your own death. Any plausible mechanism of action will do. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
29-10-2014, 05:42 PM
(29-10-2014 05:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
---------------------------------------

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing your views

You actually think your god is so fucking stupid he wouldn't know what you're up to ?

The bible says
Be ye not luke warm..

Aka...... No half hearted believers.
So
Can you say screwed?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
29-10-2014, 05:43 PM
I want to make it clear..

I don't think that because it makes me happier means it has to be true

I'm saying that we can't provide any meaningful way of even beginning to ascertain a method of testing this. When you reach that point why not choose to entertain the idea of an afterlife if it does make you most happy? If flipping a coin really is 50/50 why not entertain the idea of it being heads if you like that side better? The thing is that a lot of people here are pointing at probability without bringing any quantitative arguments to the table. How are you through evidence coming up with a probability?
29-10-2014, 05:43 PM
(29-10-2014 05:36 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  The so what is that one is more probable then the other, and I don't think that its evolution. This is why probability as a way of reasoning is a double-edged sword

Your personal incredulity means fuck all. There is tons of evidence for evolution and none for magical space wizards thus making evolution infinitely more likely.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-10-2014, 05:45 PM
(29-10-2014 05:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Still waiting for why you think you can possibly survive your own death. Any plausible mechanism of action will do. Drinking Beverage

Wasn't the point