Wicca, LDS, Scientology, and "mainstream" Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Wicca, LDS, Scientology, and "mainstream" Christianity
One complaint that will often come up in religious debates is the existence of other religions. Christians will deal with this in several different ways. The more liberal ones will say "everyone believes in their own way" or something. Others feel that other religious people are terribly misguided or even deceived by Satan. They might even counter that other old religions were the result of superstitions, but Christianity is totally real and the result of real historical events.

That being said, you'd think that the existence of Mormonism, Wicca, and Scientology would be troubling to them.

Both Wicca and Scientology have been on this earth less time than my living grandmother. Yes, there are totally people who can remember a time before those religions existed, and yet there are people that seriously believe them. The LDS sect shows that people are totally capable of taking existing doctrine, turning it into something else, and getting thousands, and eventually millions of followers (even ones willing to kill, back when the sect was being formed). The transformation from Protestantism to Mormonism perfectly mirrors that of Judaism to Christianity.

You'd think that these things would be troubling to Christians. We've already seen all the mechanisms that created their religion in action within the last two hundred years. What is the common defense/argument against this? What's the apologetics to say that Christianity is totes real?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-12-2013, 07:24 AM
RE: Wicca, LDS, Scientology, and "mainstream" Christianity
From what I have experienced, the typical Christian argument is still that those followers of those false religions are being deceived either by Satan or the people who created and control the religions.
29-12-2013, 07:29 AM
The answers I got are along the same lines atheists would use: They are obviously silly and how could someone possibly believe this... It's sad that the irony is lost on them Tongue
[+] 4 users Like Vipa's post
29-12-2013, 07:44 AM
I asked my mom this question recently. I didn't compare Christianity to other religions, but I asked her if she thought she would go to hell if she were born before Christ's birth and didn't particularly like Judaism. She said that once Jesus was born she would have "known in her heart" it was "the one true religion."

There is nothing we can do make them realize the hypocrisy. Some of them are in too deep and they just can't see past it.

Btw, public service announcement; if Chippy decides to contribute to this thread, do your sanity a favor and just keep scrolling. Drinking Beverage

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
29-12-2013, 08:04 AM
I always thought scientology was the one religion that people of all other faiths and atheists can laugh at in perfect harmony. Am I wrong now?Sad

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
29-12-2013, 08:53 AM
(29-12-2013 07:19 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  What's the apologetics to say that Christianity is totes real?

1. Totes
A shorter more convenient form of the word: totally. This word is most commonly used by teenage girls.

The most obvious advantage of using this word is the time saved. Data collected at a prestigious university found that every syllable spoken takes approximately 0.14 seconds.

The same prestigious university also found that the average valley girl says the word totally around 190 times a day.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
29-12-2013, 09:00 AM
(29-12-2013 08:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 07:19 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  What's the apologetics to say that Christianity is totes real?

1. Totes
A shorter more convenient form of the word: totally. This word is most commonly used by teenage girls.

The most obvious advantage of using this word is the time saved. Data collected at a prestigious university found that every syllable spoken takes approximately 0.14 seconds.

The same prestigious university also found that the average valley girl says the word totally around 190 times a day.

I was using it in mocking the belief that their one particular nonfalsifiable belief is the correct one, Chas. Tongue
29-12-2013, 09:07 AM
(29-12-2013 09:00 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 08:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  1. Totes

I was using it in mocking the belief that their one particular nonfalsifiable belief is the correct one, Chas. Tongue

Oh, I thought I had outed you as a teenage girl. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-12-2013, 09:39 AM
(29-12-2013 09:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, I thought I had outed you as a teenage girl. Big Grin

Fool! There are no girls on the Internet! Evil_monster
[+] 6 users Like RobbyPants's post
29-12-2013, 10:03 AM
(29-12-2013 09:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 09:00 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I was using it in mocking the belief that their one particular nonfalsifiable belief is the correct one, Chas. Tongue

Oh, I thought I had outed you as a teenage girl. Big Grin

This is why we can't have nice things. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post