Wicked Clown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2014, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 06:53 PM by Dark Light.)
RE: Wicked Clown
I hope that for most of you found my Forum Announcement regarding this issue . Some of you obviously hate our decision to not immediately permaban the clown. I understand it. Hopefully, most of you also understand that forum governance has nothing to do with how I feel, nor how anyone feels. I act in accordance with the forum rules, and for good reason. I feel it is my duty to treat all members equally under the rule of forum law regardless of personal feelings. I do my best to achieve that - and when forum rules are broken, there are consequences. Sometimes that means doing what is unpopular; or more accurately, not doing what is popular. A couple of members in this thread have stated in so many words that they feel like it is "Us vs. Them". I do not share that feeling, because like all of you, this is my place too. I am a member of this community, and I care what happens to it. It is why I am here, and I don't like it when folks cause division either. I hope most of you understand even when you disagree.

V/R,
DL

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
02-09-2014, 05:13 PM
(02-09-2014 05:08 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 04:42 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Grossly off topic
But
A gay man (or even being joked with or mistaken for) is not the same as being called a woman.

Dude???......* weird expression*
I'm sure that's not what you meant...

Right?
Hmm, I didn't think what I wrote would be misinterpreted that much. Of course being called gay and being called a woman are not the same. Just like being called a woman and being called Asian are not the same.

The point is, I'm not gay, I'm not a woman, and I'm not Asian. So please don't call me any of the above. And further (and back to my original question to DLJ), why would being called something that you are not be considered a compliment?

At first I thought he meant that if he was hit on by someone who was gay that he'd be flattered (and why not? I'm flattered when someone hits on me, even if im not interested) But you've put it that way I'm thinking I misinterpreted.

If someone thought I was gay and said I was I dont think I'd take it as a compliment or an insult...just a mistake. Would it really bother you that much?
02-09-2014, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 05:24 PM by Adrianime.)
(02-09-2014 05:13 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  If someone thought I was gay and said I was I dont think I'd take it as a compliment or an insult...just a mistake. Would it really bother you that much?
Usually it's not a huge problem. But I've grown up as a minority who is admittedly "unusual" so I've been labeled much of my life by terms that people thought described me more than my actual attributes(because I didn't act like how they thought I should act given the fact that I'm a straight "black" male). Once or twice is no problem. If it becomes recurring or often then I get annoyed.

And yeah....nothing I said has anything to do with being hit on. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-09-2014, 05:23 PM
(02-09-2014 05:08 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 04:42 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Grossly off topic
But
A gay man (or even being joked with or mistaken for) is not the same as being called a woman.

Dude???......* weird expression*
I'm sure that's not what you meant...

Right?
Hmm, I didn't think what I wrote would be misinterpreted that much. Of course being called gay and being called a woman are not the same. Just like being called a woman and being called Asian are not the same.

The point is, I'm not gay, I'm not a woman, and I'm not Asian. So please don't call me any of the above. And further (and back to my original question to DLJ), why would being called something that you are not be considered a compliment?

I imagine that a person insistently asking a homosexual person, "You sure you aren't hetero?" wouldn't be considered a compliment, right?

No being called something you're not isn't really a compliment. But might not be an insult either.
Depends.
In this case
We were all just joking around.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
02-09-2014, 05:27 PM
(02-09-2014 05:13 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  At first I thought he meant that if he was hit on by someone who was gay that he'd be flattered ...

I have a lot of gay guy friends (and a couple of lesbian in-laws, yay Maryland for recognizing their union). They tell me "You know, Bob. There's a reason gay men find you attractive." ... Blink ... Blink ... Hobo ... Bechased

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-09-2014, 05:29 PM
(02-09-2014 05:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 05:13 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  At first I thought he meant that if he was hit on by someone who was gay that he'd be flattered ...

I have a lot of gay guy friends (and a couple of lesbian in-laws, yay Maryland for recognizing their union). They tell me "You know, Bob. There's a reason gay men find you attractive." ... Blink ... Blink ... Hobo ... Bechased

You sexy girlyman you! Chase
02-09-2014, 05:30 PM
(02-09-2014 05:23 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 05:08 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hmm, I didn't think what I wrote would be misinterpreted that much. Of course being called gay and being called a woman are not the same. Just like being called a woman and being called Asian are not the same.

I imagine that a person insistently asking a homosexual person, "You sure you aren't hetero?" wouldn't be considered a compliment, right?

No being called something you're not isn't really a compliment. But might not be an insult either.
Depends.
In this case
We were all just joking around.
I know and I agree.

I was actually genuinely curious why DLJ thinks it is flattering...

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-09-2014, 05:31 PM
(02-09-2014 05:12 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I hope that for most of you my Forum Announcement regarding this issue has found you well. Some of you obviously hate our decision to not immediately permaban the clown. I understand it. Hopefully, most of you also understand that forum governance has nothing to do with how I feel, nor how anyone feels. I act in accordance with the forum rules, and for good reason. I feel it is my duty to treat all members equally under the rule of forum law regardless of personal feelings. I do my best to achieve that - and when forum rules are broken, there are consequences. Sometimes that means doing what is unpopular; or more accurately, not doing what is popular. A couple of members in this thread have stated in so many words that they feel like it is "Us vs. Them". I do not share that feeling, because like all of you, this is my place too. I am a member of this community, and I care what happens to it. It is why I am here, and I don't like it when folks cause division either. I hope most of you understand even when you disagree.

V/R,
DL

Thanks for the update, DL! I don't feel like it's "us vs them" either. I just want an open dialogue about it. I think the issue is that the folks who've interacted with him on the forum feel he has broken rule five. Both by his actions, and his own admittance (clear and direct threats to members on this forum, and admitting he was only continuing to post in order to piss everyone off). In this vein I don't think I'm basing my opinion on feeling either.

I don't "hate" the decision to not permantly ban him, I just don't understand the decision if he's broken rule five, made gross jokes about a banned topic, posted explicit smileys, caused unending arguments all over the forum, and driven forum members away. I know a lot of these rule infractions are debatable, but adding everything up not to mention the level of discourse his presence has caused... I don't get the decision. Am I not interpreting rule five correctly? Can any clarity be added to the rule?

Like I've said in other posts, I've got no ill will toward anyone, and I know it's not my place to make such decisions, I don't want a big heated argument, just a discussion, or a deeper explanation perhaps? Unless for some reason it's private info?

Thanks!
Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
02-09-2014, 05:35 PM
This ⇧

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-09-2014, 05:38 PM
(02-09-2014 05:35 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This ⇧

Good to see you around! Big Grin

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post