Widespread severe weather expected from Texas to Virginia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Widespread severe weather expected from Texas to Virginia
https://abcnews.go.com/US/widespread-sev...itter_abcn

Quote:
Severe weather this weekend brought more than 100 damaging storm reports from western Texas to the mid-Atlantic. Storms are expected to continue in the eastern U.S. for the next few days.

Winds of more than 60 mph produced damage in Pennsylvania Sunday, uprooting trees and destroying some buildings. Meanwhile, hail the size of baseballs covered the ground in Texas Panhandle. Earlier this morning, an EF-0 tornado, with winds up to 80 mph tore through Palm Beach County, Florida.

A stormy pattern from the Great Plains to the Northeast will continue for the next couple of days as a stalled frontal boundary remains in place. Several atmospheric impulses will move along this frontal boundary over the next two days increasing the chance for severe thunderstorms.

Photo from Twitter:

[Image: DdMqDWIXcAIna4m.jpg]

It looks like god is angry with Trump. Oh wait, god is never angry with conservatives, just liberals.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2018, 12:48 PM
RE: Widespread severe weather expected from Texas to Virginia
Most people I know either hate or love thunderstorms.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-05-2018, 12:49 PM
(15-05-2018 12:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Most people I know either hate or love thunderstorms.

I love them. What's not to love unless you think god is punishing you? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
15-05-2018, 12:50 PM
We had a boomer about 20 miles northwest of my place last night, fine light show, little precipitation. It seems to have passed, we probably just caught a glance from the fireworks up north.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-05-2018, 01:03 PM
(15-05-2018 12:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Most people I know either hate or love thunderstorms.

My feelings about them are mixed and quite situational. My only transportation is a bicycle, so a thunderstorm at commute time is a real downer. Riding my bike during thunderstorms (as well as hiking or climbing during them, both of which I have done) has resulted in some of the most exciting and memorable experiences of my life, but it is not something I would ever do voluntarily -- it's too dangerous.

If I'm safe at home, on the other hand, I love watching the lightning and hearing the thunder. I particularly enjoy the loud explosive thunder that results from nearby lightning strikes (although I'm not a fan of sudden loud noises in general).

Of course, there is always the potential downside of high winds, large hail, tornadoes, etc., and the damage they can cause. Still, Mother Nature in a bad mood is always impressive and awe-inspiring.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
15-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Western Massachusetts has a tornado warning.
Pretty unusual there!

I think we are getting heavy thunderstorms and possible hail.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
15-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Where I live, t-storms are regular, especially between March and October. I've got a few lightning hits on the property to show for it. As long as they don't carry a spinner, and my truck is under a tree against hail, I'm good. I like the sound of rolling thunder.

We had one last week right over my trailer. I count light-vs-thunder, one crash was so close I couldn't get to "Mississippi" before my humble abode literally shook. It caught a tree just on the other side of the property line, perhaps two hundred yards away. Sounded like a bomb cooking off. Those can be worrisome.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-05-2018, 02:05 PM

I went out of my way to try and get my older daughter to like them from a young age. We'd watch them from the comfort of our house, through a window open to the porch. That way, we could get the full effect without the rain. Really, most of her reaction will be cued off of mine.

The only reason I don't like thunder storms (apart from being caught out in them) is if I'm trying to sleep and it's pretty close. That, and losing power.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
15-05-2018, 04:34 PM

I only like them onstage.

We're having the real thing right now. Blech.

fudge is the only divinity that matters
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
15-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Thought we'd miss today's activity, but wind-shear and cool cloudbursts are starting.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post