Wife is leaving me because of my nonbelief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2013, 08:26 PM
RE: Wife is leaving me because of my nonbelief
(06-05-2013 02:13 PM)SingingBear Wrote:  I don't see why an atheist and a christian couldn't stay together and raise as many children as they wish, if both are reasonable people.

Never was an issue for this atheist and his Catholic schoolgirl mate going on 30 years in raising 4 now adult children. Wasn't even difficult. Easy as pie.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-05-2013, 10:30 PM
(09-05-2013 09:45 AM)Scully Wrote:  You don't need someone to berate you or bully you because you are atheist. Your wife is doing that and you have to create some boundaries that she can't cross. Maybe if you say something like "Listen, you can believe whatever you want. I won't stop you from going to church or spending time with your friends from church. All I ask from you is the same respect for my position and point of view. Let's be reasonable and respectful and set a good example for our son on how to treat the people we love. I don't think that's asking too much, do you?"

At some point, she needs to realize that going off on you is counterproductive to her underlying goal of winning you back to the church. I know I wouldn't follow someone anywhere if they were going off on batshit crazy tirades about trying to save my soul or how the devil is going to drag me to hell, etc. We respond to reason, not emotional rants.

Good luck...

Trust me that is the first thing I tried. I told her almost those exact words if ill respect your beliefs if you respect mine an her response was "I am not going to let you go to a meeting where you are just going to learn about lies!!!"

She is a very circular type of arguer.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2013, 08:37 AM
(09-05-2013 10:30 PM)ReasonandScience Wrote:  Trust me that is the first thing I tried. I told her almost those exact words if ill respect your beliefs if you respect mine an her response was "I am not going to let you go to a meeting where you are just going to learn about lies!!!"

She is a very circular type of arguer.

Ohmy at the obvious display of the psychological defence mechanism known as projection.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 1 user Likes Scully's post
15-05-2013, 09:07 AM
(09-05-2013 08:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 02:13 PM)SingingBear Wrote:  I don't see why an atheist and a christian couldn't stay together and raise as many children as they wish, if both are reasonable people.

Never was an issue for this atheist and his Catholic schoolgirl mate going on 30 years in raising 4 now adult children. Wasn't even difficult. Easy as pie.

We do this too. It takes two people willing to be respectful towards the other and being ok with their partner being their own person.

My advice- seek a marriage counselor. They should be able to help you sort out the real issue--whether its a difference in belief/non-belief, or a different issue completely that is just showing itself in this way.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
15-05-2013, 03:07 PM
(09-05-2013 08:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Never was an issue for this atheist and his Catholic schoolgirl

Yeah, but your marriage sounds sexier than the OP's.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
[+] 2 users Like cbb2274's post
15-05-2013, 09:05 PM
(09-05-2013 08:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

What was the deal when it came to your children?

Nobody really knows where all this shit came from. But I think I'd rather trust the dudes in lab coats who aren't demanding I get up early every Sunday to overdress and apologize for being human.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2013, 04:29 PM
(15-05-2013 09:05 PM)ReasonandScience Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 08:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Never was an issue for this atheist and his Catholic schoolgirl mate going on 30 years in raising 4 now adult children. Wasn't even difficult. Easy as pie.

What was the deal when it came to your children?

In order to be married by a Catholic Priest in a Church I had to promise the Church I would not interfere with their Catholic upbringing. I kept my promise (ensuring they had critical thinking and reasoning skills don't count as meddling). They all turned out to be atheists anyway.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post