WikiLeaks: Hackers humble MasterCard; IT firm threatens to sue Visa Europe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2010, 03:03 PM

08 December, 2010

MasterCard's Web site is offline after a suspected attack from hackers in retaliation for the card company's decision to cut of payments to whistle-blowing outfit WikiLeaks. The attacks appear to have also hit the MasterCard SecureCode service, disrupting potentially millions of online transactions.

The group of activists, calling themselves Anonymous and linked to the 4chan site are understood to have targeted 'anti WikiLeaks' sites in a move dubbed 'Operation Payback'.

In a tweet the group claims to have caused an outage today, ongoing at the time of writing, at mastercard.com. This follows a similar distributed denial of service attack that forced PayPal's blog offline. The Web site of Swiss bank Postfinance was also recently taken down for around 24 hours after it closed WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's account.

On Monday MasterCard said it is blocking payments because WikiLeaks is engaging in illegal activity, a move soon followed by Visa, as corporate America joins in the condemnation of the organisation as it continues to embarrass the US political elite by publishing leaked diplomatic cables. (More @ Finextra)
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2010, 10:11 PM
RE: WikiLeaks: Hackers humble MasterCard; IT firm threatens to sue Visa Europe
"Operation Payback" Tongue! For a credit card! Tongue
I love Anonymous. <3 They're assholes, though. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2010, 02:43 AM
I think it's a bit scary that the only people who are not scared of attacking the bullshit are those who can't be seen.

Still... I won't say wether I did or did not join the Visa website flood.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
Find all posts by this user
09-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Hactivists of this nature are the answer to those who ask what damage WikiLeaks has done, as it inspires idiocy of this nature. Mastercard and Paypal and Visa are entitled to revoke their services to WikiLeaks.
What's revealing about idiocy like Anonymous, is they claim to be in support of Assange and his furtherance of supporting espionage against America because they believe a corrupt government needs to be outed and brought down. All the while, Hackers and Anonymous example the same lack of moral character as they damn American government for possessing. Terrorists, who example they know no bounds and shall continue to demonstrate as much, in future I'm sure.

All in the name of supporting the compromise of American's national security, and that of other nations and their people.

Al-Qaeda and Hamas and all others of their ilk, must be wetting themselves to watch this all transpire.

While Guy Fawkes, who's image/mask Anonymous members wear in public demonstrations, would vomit to see his likeness adorn those who example themselves as everything he fought against.
09-12-2010, 06:46 PM
People just believe that Assange is being attacked by the world governments and corporations because he set up a forum where people could find out what the governments and corporations should have told them in the first place. And there is a strong chance that this is a correct assumption.

09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't think he's being attacked by corporations because he set up his forum. I think he's being attacked by, at least US, corporations because they were basically threatened by the US government.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Would surely be an epic event if this lead to an internet war... Because despite the government and the technologies, Anon is assured victory.

09-12-2010, 09:18 PM
I don't know what an "internet war" is, so I'm not sure he anyone is assured victory, but I'm happy to take your word for it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-12-2010, 09:26 PM

(09-12-2010 08:42 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Would surely be an epic event if this lead to an internet war... Because despite the government and the technologies, Anon is assured victory.

When government controls the Internet, Anon exists because they're permitted to get online. Assurance, is therefore limited.
10-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Quote:I don't know what an "internet war" is
A video of an internet war attack in 2007 in Estonia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZkCdpPLBE
The attack was from Russia, but there's no evidence that the Russian goverment would have played a part.

But why build infrastructure that's dependant on the internet?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.