WikiLeaks: Hackers humble MasterCard; IT firm threatens to sue Visa Europe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2010, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2010 08:36 AM by BnW.)
RE: WikiLeaks: Hackers humble MasterCard; IT firm threatens to sue Visa Europe
Quote:But why build infrastructure that's dependant on the internet?

How do you avoid that, though?

(09-12-2010 09:26 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  
(09-12-2010 08:42 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Would surely be an epic event if this lead to an internet war... Because despite the government and the technologies, Anon is assured victory.

When government controls the Internet, Anon exists because they're permitted to get online. Assurance, is therefore limited.

I just noticed this. How does government control the internet?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:How do you avoid that, though?
Didn't gas, electricity, power plants, water services, defense services and security services work before internet? Is there any sense in making them dependant on the internet if some pissed off Russians can take 'em down in a day or two?

On telly some guy hacked pretty easily (notifying that he's a hacker of course) into a local oil depository or some other facility which had oil tanks, I don't remember the details. With a few presses of buttons he could have caused a big oil spill by screwing a few pipes, but thank Go... but luckily he was a good guy, but not everyone is.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
10-12-2010, 04:15 PM
I guess my point is that everyone is so connected to the internet now that we can't easily wean ourselves off of it. It's like saying "cars are killing the planet so we should just stop driving them". Easy to say, but impossible to do.

I literally work globally. I am on-line with Europe in the morning and on-line with Asia and India in the evening (I don't sleep much). I work from home a lot because of the hours I keep (and because my office is a 4 hour round trip commute). The internet is my lifeline for my continued employment, and that is before you factor in that I make my living in telecom and IT and work for a company that provides these services globally). The internet is our Achilles heal, just like anyone else, but without we don't exist. I think government is largely the same way now. We've integrated it into every aspect of what we do. We can't just turn it off now without taking a major step backwards in how we do things.

Sadly, that opens us up to some vulnerabilities. It is what it is, I guess.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost