Wikileaks: Julian Assange arrest warrant arrives in UK

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2010, 02:56 PM

[Image: mwy5b5.jpg]
Julian Assange is thought to be in hiding in south-east England
Britain has received a European arrest warrant from Sweden for the Wikileaks' founder Julian Assange.

The warrant is being processed by the Serious Organised Crime Agency and will be sent to the Metropolitan Police, as he is thought to be in the London area.
BBC News

Now will he found so as to be taken into custody? That's the real next question!
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2010, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2010 03:18 PM by Kikko.)
RE: Wikileaks: Julian Assange arrest warrant arrives in UK
Do people with rape and harrashment charges always get international warrants?
According to his lawyer, they are going to meet the police in the UK.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2010, 05:56 PM

(06-12-2010 03:12 PM)Kikko Wrote:  Do people with rape and harrashment charges always get international warrants?
According to his lawyer, they are going to meet the police in the UK.
I think this is an inroad the system is using so as to acquire custody of Assange. If they can get him on these allegations, then other charges can be pressed regarding the Wikileaks issue and the unlawful dispersal of classified documents.

He's running, and that in itself demonstrates to law enforcement officials a consciousness of guilt.
06-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Quote:He's running, and that in itself demonstrates to law enforcement officials a consciousness of guilt.

Completely disagree with this statement. Running when someone is chasing you demonstrates the evolutionary traits of "flight or fight". His opponent is much bigger and more dangerous so he can't realistically fight, so he's chosen flight.

I've no idea if the allegations against him are true or not and I don't much care as they don't really go to the issues around these releases. His credibility is not in issue as the documents speak for themselves. If he's guilty, he should be held held accountable. If he's not, then he should be left alone.

As for the releases themselves, there seems to be two distinct issues here and I've noticed that the focus from various groups is on one side or the other to the exclusion of all other issues. The issues, as I see them are:
1. his releasing of classified US documents and all the issues around that; and
2. what they reveal about how the US government has lied to its people and the gross misuse of tax payer dollars, as well as the outright deceit in how it conducts business in our name.

I'm concerned about #1 as I think there is a point when his releases are going to do more harm than good, and he may have hit that point today. However, I'm even more concerned about #2 at this point and think that when all the hand-wringing and chest thumping over this is done, there is some serious 'splaining that needs to be done by both GW Bush and BH Obama over some of the things revealed in those documents.

Frankly I'm a bit disturbed that there is mass outrage over his releasing the documents and minimal outrage over what they reveal. As an American, I'm appalled to find out some of what has been done in our good name over the past 10 years.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
06-12-2010, 07:03 PM
I have a strong feeling that the censorship counsel made up his charges.

What other "rapist" has got an international arrest warrant?

I think it's scary and sick that someone would be hunted down for making a website where people can use evidence to tell the truth about their governments and organizations.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
06-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Quote:What other "rapist" has got an international arrest warrant?

Roman Polanski. And, to be honest, I'm sure there are probably a lot more. They just don't make the news like this. If these charges are real, he should absolutely have to face the charges. His celebrity (or infamy) does not put him above the law.

06-12-2010, 07:37 PM
But they fact that the UN has been trying to get rid of him without appearing to be censorship puts the charges in doubt.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
06-12-2010, 07:43 PM

(06-12-2010 06:30 PM)BnW Wrote:  
Quote:He's running, and that in itself demonstrates to law enforcement officials a consciousness of guilt.

Completely disagree with this statement. Running when someone is chasing you demonstrates the evolutionary traits of "flight or fight". His opponent is much bigger and more dangerous so he can't realistically fight, so he's chosen flight.
If he's not guilty, he has the money to retain an attorney to fight on his behalf. As it stands, running from these rape charges makes it necessary to hunt him down so as to face the charges that are presently calling his reputation and his character into question, because he's alleged to be a rapist. Running, when he is presumed innocent until proven guilty, and is fully entitled to council so as to address the charges against him and, if they are false, defeat them, makes him look guilty of the charges he refuses to face.

If he was the so called "freedom fighter" many applaud, he would invest his time and commit his website WikiLeaks to releasing sensitive stolen classified information given to him by others who are committed to espionage and putting at risk peoples lives and other nation's security. Instead, he chooses to release information that put's America at risk.
That's not a fight for freedom. That's a compromise of national and personal securities.
06-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I think that's a gross exaggeration of what he's done, to date. Prior to earlier today, I've not read or heard anyone point to a specific release he's given that puts anyone's life in danger. He's caused major embarrassment, to be sure, and he's potentially damaged diplomatic relationships, but please point me to the specific thing he has released that put someone's life in danger.

Now, that said: today he released some internal US communiques that, at least in my opinion, cross the line. The documents put together lists that the US felt could be damaging to our economy and nation security if they were destroyed by terrorists. That I thought was a real threat to national security. Prior to that, though, I think what he's mostly done is embarrass us.

I think the bigger issue here is that we are a democracy and yet these documents clearly reveal we've a government that runs as if it has zero accountability to the people. We are lied to, deceived, and the big outcry is that we now know about it. Screwing with our relationships with foreign nations is not in any way helpful and these releases certainly do not strengthen our ability to deal with countries like Iran and North Korea. However, those are political and diplomatic issues that can be resolved. I am far more concerned with the things that these documents reveal.

Yes, Assange has information that I'm sure can put lives in danger. I've no doubt that he has the potential to be very, very dangerous. And, I think he's walking very close to the line. Today, I think he completely crossed it. Arguably some of the information he's already released may have crossed it, although I'm not yet convinced it has. However, none of that changes the fact that we have been outright lied to.

Like I said, there are two issues in play here and my observation, to date, is everyone is focusing on just one or the other. You can be outraged by what this guy did - I don't love it myself - but how about stopping for 2 seconds to consider what we've learned.

As for the criminal charges, I'm fine for him to have to answer to his accusers. I just don't take his flight as an automatic assumption of anything. And, spare me this stuff about "innocent until proven guilty". There are a whole lot of people who've already decided his guilt or innocence, based solely on what he's done with his website, and no amount of facts will change their minds at this point.

07-12-2010, 12:15 AM
1.It has never been proven that the documents endangered anyone.
2.The right-wing in the US is double standard. See the case around Scooter Libby. Assange should be executed but Scooter should just get a fine despite the fact that his actions were proven to have endangered 100 american operatives.
3.The rape charges against him are ridiculous.They claim he had consensual sex with a woman but because he could not withdraw fast enough after the condom broke it's rape.

Just my thoughts.