Wikleaks makes tweet about collating sensitive info on all "verified" Twitter users

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Wikleaks makes tweet about collating sensitive info on all "verified" Twitter users
So this is pretty interesting:
https://www.hackread.com/wikileaks-suppo...-database/
'Wikileaks Task Force' Twitter account Wrote:We are thinking of making an online database with all “verified” twitter accounts & their family/job/financial/housing relationships.”

I first heard about this from Ars Technica, who used the headline
WikiLeaks teases mass doxing wave of verified Twitter accounts

'Wikileaks Task Force' Twitter account Wrote:Dishonest press reporting our speculative idea for database of account influencing *relationships* with Wikileaks doxing home addresses

So if I'm getting this straight, Wikileaks wants to make a giant proximity graph containing the following info on as many verified Twitter accounts as possible:
Family Relationships
Job Relationships
Financial Relationships
Housing Relationships (don't know what this is)

and knowing Wikileaks, they'd probably want some aspect of this database to be publicly searchable, because "muh transparency."
So uhh yeah, even if this info were not being used to dox people directly, I still call Super Creepy Jeepies.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like cactus's post
08-01-2017, 07:06 PM
RE: Wikleaks makes tweet about collating sensitive info on all "verified" Twitter users
When Windows 10 pushed out, I got Twitter. First tweet I got was some shite about Justin Beebeebrain. Dodgy

Settings>System>Apps&Features>Twitter>Uninstall, aaaand done. FFS, I don't even follow my own children around.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
08-01-2017, 07:29 PM
RE: Wikleaks makes tweet about collating sensitive info on all "verified" Twitter users
I got just got rid of an old Twitter account, too, that I used to share with my brother. It wasn't a "verified" account, but it doesn't matter, we never really used the site for anything. That account has been hacked in the past and used to post spam, so, buh bye, I won't miss it.

08-01-2017, 07:51 PM
I doubt twitter gives a fuck about me. I'm not a verified user.

I'm not one of those people not worthy of that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Unless it's making private-information public that isn't already public it's not doxxing.
08-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Hmm. I'm not on twitter or facebook.

Too peoply.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
08-01-2017, 08:41 PM
From Twitter's terms of service:
Quote:crawling the Services is permissible if done in accordance with the provisions of the robots.txt file, however, scraping the Services without the prior consent of Twitter is expressly prohibited
Sounds like scraping to me. Would Wikileaks need Twitter's consent to perform this "little" experiment?

08-01-2017, 08:45 PM
(08-01-2017 08:13 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Unless it's making private-information public that isn't already public it's not doxxing.
That depends on who you ask. Many people would consider that a legal form of doxing. Collecting and redistributing info like that on a specific person could definitely break Twitter's harassment policy in certain situations, though.

08-01-2017, 09:28 PM
More glad than ever I never signed up.
08-01-2017, 10:54 PM
RE: Wikleaks makes tweet about collating sensitive info on all "verified" Twitter use
This is just one example of why it is helpful for a real journalist to have an editor's pen and to show discretion in what material to publish. Wikileaks is a blind and unthinking organization that releases anything and everything regardless of the consequences. That is just as irresponsible as it is that traditional journalists withhold information based on their political point of view filter.