Poll: Will America become a fascist regime?
Yes
No
Our consitution is strong
[Show Results]

Will America become a fascist regime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 08:17 AM
RE: Will America become a fascist regime?
(03-02-2017 06:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 05:46 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Italics mine.

Sorry, the highlighted statement is incorrect.

In today's terms, Germany owed $768 billion after WWI.

America currently owes 163 trillion dollars to China.

This may technically true, but Germany had just recovered from a hyper-inflation. It also (like everybody else) suffered from the great depression. Both things that the USA of today luckily doesnt have to deal with.
I admit however to not ecactly know how much both these situations are comparable, since the circumstances are quite different.
In the 20s, people were still adjusting to just having lost the gold standard, so everybody owing everybody else tons of (virtual) money was much more of an issue than nowadays, where noone loses sweat about the number you have given, because everybody was thinking of having some real goods behind those numbers (like "how much caol do we have to export to make 700bio?"). Nowadays trillons and trillions of dollars are *generated* and *destroyed* every day with pencils. Noone gives a shit if there are some real values connected to this. At least thats my interpretation of todays sitation. I am not very firm with economy and financial business. Particularly the latter makes me wanna shower too often when i think about it. Tongue

Are you forgetting TGFC?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2017, 03:36 AM
(03-02-2017 08:02 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And for the record, as a percentage of GDP our debt is about the same as Australia's and about 1/5 of the UK's.

Not so...

• Australia - 34.258
• USA - 106.710
• Canada - 86.515
• UK - 84.860

IMF, Debt-to-GDP Ratio, Percentage.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
04-02-2017, 06:42 AM
(04-02-2017 03:36 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:02 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And for the record, as a percentage of GDP our debt is about the same as Australia's and about 1/5 of the UK's.

Not so...

• Australia - 34.258
• USA - 106.710
• Canada - 86.515
• UK - 84.860

IMF, Debt-to-GDP Ratio, Percentage.

We were talking about external debt (i.e. money owed to China).

'Murican Canadian
04-02-2017, 07:17 AM
(10-11-2016 12:55 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 10:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  The panic is premature. Not that there isn't a reasonable basis, but change can't happen with the speed that is being suggested here.

Chas, with ALL due respect I entirely disagree. Change happens fast and with shock. There are too many historical instances to name here.

Because of the nature of our national structure, split into fifty states with much governmental power devolved to that level, I think you're overestimating the speed and shock of change here. History may repeat itself, but it isn't ineluctable, and it does not ignore the differences that distinguish countries and people.
04-02-2017, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 07:55 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
Sinclair Lewis wrote a book about this called "It Can't Happen Here".While I don't know how Trump's presidency will turn out, his actions so far have been highly concerning. People are acting like our governmental structure is impenetrable. It isn't. Especially not when authoritarian fucks like Trump get into power, and begin to delegitimize the election process by claiming that millions of people voted illegally, or claiming that protestors are being "paid" to protest against him. Being dismissive of the possibility that America could become fascist is having far too of a rosey-eyed view of things. If there was ever a time it was more plausible than before, it's now.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
04-02-2017, 08:40 AM
I don't think there's a country in the world that couldn't collapse into a seething shithole in a matter of days under the right conditions, Trump or no Trump. But I do think in the context of current USA, the cause is more likely to be self fulfilling prophesy than anything Trump intentionally does.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Will America become a fascist regime?
President Camacho er I mean Trump is helping the US become Idiocracy. Electrolytes... it's what plants need!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like treefireguy's post
04-02-2017, 10:01 AM
(04-02-2017 09:51 AM)treefireguy Wrote:  President Camacho er I mean Trump is helping the US become Idiocracy. Electrolytes... it's what plants need!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that mean I can be a pilot?

'Murican Canadian
04-02-2017, 11:30 AM
My original hope was that the grownups would essentially take charge, pat Donny on the top of the head, tell him he's doing a good job and let him continue to appoint dog-catchers.

That hope was lost when the majority of the GOP establishment stood dumbly by with fingers up their collective noses and watched DJT sign poorly-drafted and legally-dubious executive orders. (These are the same GOP-ers which excoriated Obama for signing executive orders. Funny, now that the shoe is on the other political foot, does their tone change.)

But all is not lost.

Seems the current White House is leaking like a sieve. There's even a twitter account called Rogue POTUS Staff which may (or may not) be legit, as well as White House Leaks.

Other resistance accounts include Alt Dept of State and altEPA.

To be clear, there's no way to really know if these accounts are legit.

NPR outlined issues with the avalanche of White House leaks as well: Trump White House Leaks: Done On Purpose Or Lack Of Loyalty?

Talking Points Memo writes about it too: You’re Not Crazy, The Leaks Coming Out Of The Trump Admin Really Are YUGE

Even the Trumpians at Fox can see the White House leaks are causing a real problem: Conway rips 'dangerous' leaks on Trump's foreign leader calls

The resistance is gaining steam. And it's not going to go away anytime soon.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
04-02-2017, 11:39 AM
(04-02-2017 08:40 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I don't think there's a country in the world that couldn't collapse into a seething shithole in a matter of days under the right conditions, Trump or no Trump. But I do think in the context of current USA, the cause is more likely to be self fulfilling prophesy than anything Trump intentionally does.

The courts seem to be still working. In fact, I would be hard pressed to name any other administration where the courts have stepped in as frequently in that short a time.

As long as these checks are working, there's still a lot of hope.