Will America ever have an Atheist President?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2011, 01:08 PM
RE: Will America ever have an Atheist President?
(22-09-2011 12:13 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  17th knight, while I agree fully with your description of the mid-western portion of the US (being from Missouri), I must say that people aren't really more tolerant. They just don't inform others of their intolerance.

That's what tolerance is, Lilith, putting up with things you don't like. What you've said is precisely why the Midwest is tolerant and the South is not. Note the very definition of the word:

tolerate: tol·er·ate verb/ˈtäləˌrāt/
1. Allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference
2. Accept or endure (someone or something unpleasant or disliked) with forbearance.

By the very definition of the word you cannot "tolerate" something if you are accepting of it or if you approve of it. It is only by disliking something and continuing to allow it to exist that you become tolerant.

If two men don't like black people, and one simply says nothing about it and never bothers a black person, that is being tolerant. If the other one is attending kkk rallies and handing out racist literature, that is being intolerant. Even if they share the same mindset.

People are defined in how they react to things they dislike, not how they react to things they approve of.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2011, 03:11 PM
(22-09-2011 11:17 AM)hillzy Wrote:  I understand America was originally founded by puritanic Christians but it's a well known fact that America's founding Father's were against religion rather than for it hence the segregation between church and state.

I doubt they were against religion - in those times, very few people could even entertain the idea of a religion-free world. (Not many can, even now!) What they were against was a state religion, such as England and France had, because many of the settlers were minorities, escaping persecution by those state religions.
What they hoped to achieve was a civil government, under which all religions could be practiced freely. Of course, freedom of necessarily includes freedom from, but that's a byproduct, not the main purpose.

Quote:I find it incredibly ironic that by today's standards America is far more religious compared to the rest of the western world.
Well, that depends partly on what you mean by western. There are other places where the resurgence of religiosity has been strong - even Canada! Seems like a political revival, rather than a spiritual one: fathead conservatives are tapping into deep reservoirs of insecurity, bigotry and jealousy.
I don't know how South America will handle religion in its rise to power.

Quote: Why do you think Europe is so different? In the UK Nick Clegg (deputy Prime Minister) is a confirmed Atheist so too is Ed Miliband (leader of the opposition) and nobody could care less.....
...how in the 21st century can religion seem to be on a dangerous rise only in America? Whereas in Europe it's on the decline especially in politics.

Don't get too comfortable! Xenophobia is on the rise in Europe, too. And religion is creeping into public discourse. That nazi pope keeps getting the red carpet treatment in countries that call themselves civilized, and heads of state mention god or providence or something in their speeches more frequently. Much of this is probably backlash against Islam (imported via European colonies - serve 'em right!) which has become increasingly militant and frightening; some of it is kow-towing to America; a lot of residual resentment of communism, and i wouldn't be surprised if some of it were a politic response to a [correct] reading of the popular mood.
Eastern Europe and Russia are swarming with missionaries. So is poor, abused Africa. Some of the busybodies actually help, but they sure don't serve to unite peoples! In the middle east, it's anybody's guess right now which way it will go. For sure, Israel hasn't divested itself of state religion, and nor have most of its unfriendly neighbors.
It's a long, long road!

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
23-09-2011, 12:15 AM
I think it has one now, albeit a shrewd closeted one. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
23-09-2011, 08:43 AM
(23-09-2011 12:15 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it has one now, albeit a shrewd closeted one. Wink

Shhhh! Doesn't he have enough trouble?
On the other hand, i'm pissed at him (again!) for that craven performance at the UN.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
23-09-2011, 01:16 PM
I think the best we can hope for will be a president that calls him/herself a Spiritual Agnostic. By this I mean the person will probably be an Atheist but will play it off like they believe there is something out there beyond our knowledge guiding us. That would likely appease the religious majority. Of course that president will also believe in Evolution, The Big Bang, String Theory, etc. An out of the closest Atheist, no, I don't see it anytime soon.