Will God Ever Die?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2013, 06:17 PM
RE: Will God Ever Die?
(17-08-2013 06:11 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 06:09 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  No. Faith is inherent in the human condition. If you're referring to "the Christian god," he's already dead... he's all Jesus now. Dodgy

Your vote goes to evolution then?

There's a vote? Tongue

No. We have evolved to simulate future. In one of those simulations, there is a persistent gap called death. So there will always be a god to peek outta that gap.

Also, people are stupid. Another big gap for god to peek outta.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-08-2013, 06:20 PM
(17-08-2013 06:17 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 06:11 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Your vote goes to evolution then?

There's a vote? Tongue

No. We have evolved to simulate future. In one of those simulations, there is a persistent gap called death. So there will always be a god to peek outta that gap.

Also, people are stupid. Another big gap for god to peek outta.

There's only one god and its name is death... And we only say one thing to death: Not Today Evil_monster

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post
17-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Gods will die when every human has something equivalent to a high school education, enough wealth to be comfortable, and connection to the global community. Under good social and economic conditions like that, superstition dies off on its own. So, when the worst-off parts of the world are like Sweden is today, religions and gods will be nothing more than subjects of historical interest.

That could take hundreds of years, thousands of years, or never happen at all because something horrible throws back progress.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 3 users Like Elesjei's post
17-08-2013, 07:30 PM
The Singularity is near.
Human knowledge is in a parabolic upswing.
So yeah, the ole guy's days are numbered.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-575983...s-of-2029/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

17-08-2013, 07:46 PM
I think he will never die as long as there are people around. Believers will be the minority, but that will make them all the more tenacious, they will feel persecuted and cling to him for dear life.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-08-2013, 08:19 PM
(17-08-2013 07:46 PM)Dom Wrote:  I think he will never die as long as there are people around. Believers will be the minority, but that will make them all the more tenacious, they will feel persecuted and cling to him for dear life.

Well, as long as they are the minority.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
17-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Humans have a tendency to anthropomorphize even things they do understand, and more so things they don't. And there will always be things we don't know. Even if science were to somehow manage to discover everything, it would be more than any individual could learn. So as long as that tendency's there, we're going to see some flavor of God rearing its head.

(Is there a word for "anthropomorphize" that isn't gender-specific?)

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
17-08-2013, 08:35 PM
(17-08-2013 08:29 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Humans have a tendency to anthropomorphize even things they do understand, and more so things they don't. And there will always be things we don't know. Even if science were to somehow manage to discover everything, it would be more than any individual could learn. So as long as that tendency's there, we're going to see some flavor of God rearing its head.

(Is there a word for "anthropomorphize" that isn't gender-specific?)

"Anthro-" is not gender specific. The gender specific forms are "andro-" and "gyno-".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-08-2013, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2013 09:50 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(17-08-2013 05:07 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  *assumes an atheistic mindset*

As long as there are things that humans can't explain things or do not know, there will be a god of some sort.

Since people do not know what happens after death, people will believe in a god for comfort while on this earth.

As for the Christian God, no... He will never die. There are some things that are too ingrained in humanity. If He was going to disappear, it would have been done in the early centuries when data, information, and beliefs were not easily shared.

Now that we live in an information saturated world, the Christian God will always have traction because the belief has the endless ability to reach people.

*ends atheistic mindset*

lol, I've been hanging around here too long... that sounds like a pretty good atheist... man, I would be an awesome double spy.

Historically the vast majority of humans who ever lived on this planet were not Christians. That god may seem important today, in some places. Historically it's not the number one religion, so, to do projections about which gods will succeed or not is not valid, just because one good seems important in one area. "Reaching" people isn't helpful, if they reject the *system* being sold. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

17-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I think that religion of some sort will always exist in some culture or subsection of humanity for as long as humanity persists in the way it has since recorded history began. As for the Christian god, I don't think he will die in the next few decades or maybe even centuries. But it seems that all deities die after a time, and so I have no reason to believe that Christianity will not eventually die out just like so many other religions before it have.