Will I be any help to the world?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Will I be any help to the world?
I think that I might be in a unique situation. I am 26 years old and living with my mother who homeschooled me. I am very confused about my idea of God but I am trying to push that aside for right now so that I can focus on my job and writing. I have published one book so far and my mother has published two books.

The trouble is that I want to be honest in what I write. I find it difficult because there is this huge conflict between what I feel and what I think. I think that there is no hope for humanity and that there probably was a God who made the world but that he didn't know what he was doing. In fact I got this idea from the bible since it shows that he regreted humanity(Genesis 6:6). The whole God concept changed when I noticed that if God did exist, he certainly wasn't omniscient. I was deconverted from christianity by the bible which they tell me to read even though most of them don't.

But since now I no longer believe the bible. I have no real limitations on what I believe. I cannot say whether I believe in God if I do not have a definition of what God is. Therefore I do not know what I am writing about or even quite sure what to think of the first book I wrote.

At the same time, I feel good. I feel like there is some type of explanation for what is going on in the world. I also have the experience to remind me of how damaging religion is. I know that the truth is not based on my feelings and yet I don't know how to remove my feelings. If I had the power to wish myself out of existence, I am sure I would. But since I don't have the option, I could sure use some advice from anyone who has been in a difficult spot such as this.

Basically, I want to improve the world by any means, which of course to me means removing religion and superstition so that people can think more clearly. What can I do to help those I care about. The afterlife is irrelevant to me right now. I just want to stop the pain that many people experience in this world and I am not sure how much good I am doing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2013, 03:02 PM
RE: Will I be any help to the world?
(15-12-2013 02:49 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  I think that I might be in a unique situation. I am 26 years old and living with my mother who homeschooled me. I am very confused about my idea of God but I am trying to push that aside for right now so that I can focus on my job and writing. I have published one book so far and my mother has published two books.

The trouble is that I want to be honest in what I write. I find it difficult because there is this huge conflict between what I feel and what I think. I think that there is no hope for humanity and that there probably was a God who made the world but that he didn't know what he was doing. In fact I got this idea from the bible since it shows that he regreted humanity(Genesis 6:6). The whole God concept changed when I noticed that if God did exist, he certainly wasn't omniscient. I was deconverted from christianity by the bible which they tell me to read even though most of them don't.

But since now I no longer believe the bible. I have no real limitations on what I believe. I cannot say whether I believe in God if I do not have a definition of what God is. Therefore I do not know what I am writing about or even quite sure what to think of the first book I wrote.

At the same time, I feel good. I feel like there is some type of explanation for what is going on in the world. I also have the experience to remind me of how damaging religion is. I know that the truth is not based on my feelings and yet I don't know how to remove my feelings. If I had the power to wish myself out of existence, I am sure I would. But since I don't have the option, I could sure use some advice from anyone who has been in a difficult spot such as this.

Basically, I want to improve the world by any means, which of course to me means removing religion and superstition so that people can think more clearly. What can I do to help those I care about. The afterlife is irrelevant to me right now. I just want to stop the pain that many people experience in this world and I am not sure how much good I am doing.

I wrote a book in 2007 in an endeavour to come to some tentative grips with the God concept. I ended up upsetting both atheist and theist.
Not an easy task and congratulations in your efforts.
Hope you don't wish yourself out of existence, you may have quite a bit to offer.
Yes, eschatology suffers from over kill.....
If there is an ineffable God, I believe we can only operate kind of 'through a glass darkly' to use a Paulian term, and, perhaps, become pragmatic spiritualists. (No not the folk with the ouija boards).
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
15-12-2013, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2013 09:30 AM by DLJ.)
(15-12-2013 02:49 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  ...
Basically, I want to improve the world by any means,

You just did!

Many people I know have deconverted after reading the bible (or in my case, learnt is as stories and never took it seriously in the first place).

But I don't know anyone (you are the first) who has done so purely on this basis. Meaning that most have witnessed some dissent that started the ball rolling.

You have a story to tell, my friend.

Someone will read your post and the tales you have yet to tell and start their journey. Perhaps, many will.

As to hope? It's over-rated. Leave that to Hollywood.

There is hope here... a kind of helpless, hopeless hope:

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
15-12-2013, 03:06 PM
If you take it upon yourself to fix the world, you're gonna have a bad time...

Seriously, don't try to be some kinds of messiah or something like that, just be as good as you can and try to find places or organizations that will serve as a resonance box for your actions. And hope that whatever you do works out fine.

Otherwise you'll end up frustrated and depressed.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
15-12-2013, 05:16 PM
What is your book about? And your mother's book?

I think you can already be good by just helping the people around you.
If you are feeling you are not doing enough, you can always volunteer
for something.

You are still living with your Mom? Maybe it is time to move out...
[+] 1 user Likes black_squirrel's post
15-12-2013, 06:57 PM
You want to know a little secret? Those who do change the world aren't the ones seeking to change the world.
Don't put so much pressure on yourself, focus on what you love, tell your story. Your a writer, a published writer so you're already at that place very few aren't. I always found it helpful to take notes on well, everything. Whats going on in your life what you see in the world and build on it. Keep a journal, write something just for you. Think of what your interests are, hobbies you have whatever I don't know just think about it. You'd be surprised to know that God can mean so many things, it really varies from person to person and it doesn't have to be a literal entity that controls everything it could even be a feeling.
I really enjoyed These videos which really put into perspective many things about religion and god. It's a journey of a devote christian to an atheist and may hold many questions you may have to. Very informative and has a very relaxed nature to it.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
16-12-2013, 09:10 AM
(15-12-2013 05:16 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  What is your book about? And your mother's book?

for something.

My book is titled "Confessions of a Confused Virgin: Where did sex come from and where is it going?". I wrote it at a time when I was frustrated about the way christians talk about sex. It is my own thoughts about sex, dating, marriage, and some bizarre teachings of churches I have been in. You can look at it on amazon.
http://amzn.com/B00D0IWBW4

And my mom wrote an autobiography that tells her story of recovering from Satanic Ritual Abuse.
http://amzn.com/B00D0VMELE

As well as a book of poetry that she had written throughout her life.
http://amzn.com/1492789062

Also, I think it is a dangerous assumption that people must move away from their parents when they reach a certain age. I never did understand why it was more acceptable in society for a man to live with a wife and yet when he lives with his mother, then someone thinks it's wrong.
16-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Write about what you know. And help yourself before you help others. Get comfy, it's gonna be a heckuva ride. Wink

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
16-12-2013, 09:16 AM
(15-12-2013 03:02 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I wrote a book in 2007 in an endeavour to come to some tentative grips with the God concept. I ended up upsetting both atheist and theist.

Where can I find your book? Anything that upsets atheist and theist alike has got to be good.

And thanks to all of you people for the encouraging replies. I know that I can't fix the world by myself. The very fact that so many people from all different places are also writing and speaking about new things shows me that I am not alone.
16-12-2013, 09:41 AM
(16-12-2013 09:10 AM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  
(15-12-2013 05:16 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  What is your book about? And your mother's book?

for something.

Also, I think it is a dangerous assumption that people must move away from their parents when they reach a certain age. I never did understand why it was more acceptable in society for a man to live with a wife and yet when he lives with his mother, then someone thinks it's wrong.

dangerous? I don't think so. But I do think stepping out on your own is one of those 'milestones' in life that typically brings with it a new way of discovering the world and your place in it….just like going off to school…whether it be kindergarten, college, the military or simply running away from home. Its about perspective or a point of view, an experience. Also, just wanted to add that while Moms and wives are female, living with them is a different relationship because of the intimate/romantic nature of the relationship.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller