Will I be any help to the world?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2013, 09:47 AM
RE: Will I be any help to the world?
(16-12-2013 09:10 AM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  Also, I think it is a dangerous assumption that people must move away from their parents when they reach a certain age. I never did understand why it was more acceptable in society for a man to live with a wife and yet when he lives with his mother, then someone thinks it's wrong.

Why dangerous? Where is the danger?

The benefit of moving away is simply change and growth. You and your mom share the same ancestral experience and makeup (genes, DNA) and while on the surface you may seem to be very different, the basis from which you operate is very similar. Living with someone with a different ancestral experience will promote growth and learning of new and different ways to see many things.

Change is something we all tend to resist, but it, too, is a very important component in growth.

Having been home schooled, as well as still living with your mom, is depriving you of a lot of varied experiences.

That doesn't mean that you life may not be perfectly fine and you are growing in various ways, but it does mean you are missing a variety of possible experiences.

I am not putting your choice down, my aunt lived with my grand parents until they passed, and she is one of my favorite (albeit profoundly indoctrinated) people. Unless your mom is less than ideal as a mom, your choice may well be a comfortable and efficient one.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-12-2013, 10:11 AM
(16-12-2013 09:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 09:10 AM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  Also, I think it is a dangerous assumption that people must move away from their parents when they reach a certain age. I never did understand why it was more acceptable in society for a man to live with a wife and yet when he lives with his mother, then someone thinks it's wrong.

Why dangerous? Where is the danger?

The benefit of moving away is simply change and growth. You and your mom share the same ancestral experience and makeup (genes, DNA) and while on the surface you may seem to be very different, the basis from which you operate is very similar. Living with someone with a different ancestral experience will promote growth and learning of new and different ways to see many things.

Change is something we all tend to resist, but it, too, is a very important component in growth.

Having been home schooled, as well as still living with your mom, is depriving you of a lot of varied experiences.

That doesn't mean that you life may not be perfectly fine and you are growing in various ways, but it does mean you are missing a variety of possible experiences.

I am not putting your choice down, my aunt lived with my grand parents until they passed, and she is one of my favorite (albeit profoundly indoctrinated) people. Unless your mom is less than ideal as a mom, your choice may well be a comfortable and efficient one.

The danger is that sometimes people move away from their parents when they are not ready yet. In my case, I wasn't ready when I was 18. Also, what is great about my mom is that she does not discourage me from making life choices. She was a great support when I joined the Navy.

I think it's sad that so many people are deprived of a great friendship with parents. For those who do have abusive parents, I think they are right to run away.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2013, 10:55 AM
(16-12-2013 10:11 AM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 09:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  Why dangerous? Where is the danger?

The danger is that sometimes people move away from their parents when they are not ready yet. In my case, I wasn't ready when I was 18. Also, what is great about my mom is that she does not discourage me from making life choices. She was a great support when I joined the Navy.

I think it's sad that so many people are deprived of a great friendship with parents. For those who do have abusive parents, I think they are right to run away.

It's not running away for most. It is running towards something new...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-12-2013, 06:07 PM
(15-12-2013 02:49 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  I think that there is no hope for humanity

Why ever not? We're a flawed little species I'll grant you but the most interesting things in life are.

(15-12-2013 02:49 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  I was deconverted from christianity by the bible which they tell me to read even though most of them don't.

My experience has been that many of them do, they just don't read it critically.

(15-12-2013 02:49 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  At the same time, I feel good. I feel like there is some type of explanation for what is going on in the world. I also have the experience to remind me of how damaging religion is. I know that the truth is not based on my feelings and yet I don't know how to remove my feelings. If I had the power to wish myself out of existence, I am sure I would. But since I don't have the option, I could sure use some advice from anyone who has been in a difficult spot such as this.

Don't wish yourself out of existence. There's no future in it and you'll miss the punchline. I expect that right now you're going through a pretty grim time. You've removed one of your core beliefs and have to rebuild the entire thing from scratch. It's not something you've any experience in doing and it's going to suck. All I can tell you is that it'll get better. In the mean time, find some friends who won't judge you and lean on them for support.

(15-12-2013 02:49 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  Basically, I want to improve the world by any means, which of course to me means removing religion and superstition so that people can think more clearly. What can I do to help those I care about. The afterlife is irrelevant to me right now. I just want to stop the pain that many people experience in this world and I am not sure how much good I am doing.

First fix yourself up. You're in no condition to save the world as you are. Don't worry about other people at the moment. They're big kids and can take care of themselves.

Second, you don't make the world a better place by getting rid of religion. You get rid of religion by making the world a better place. Peddlers of false hope find it hard to push their wares when people have the real thing.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
18-12-2013, 08:58 PM
"Save yourself, save the world." - My Own Personal Jesus

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-12-2013, 07:57 AM
(17-12-2013 06:07 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  you don't make the world a better place by getting rid of religion. You get rid of religion by making the world a better place. Peddlers of false hope find it hard to push their wares when people have the real thing.

Thumbsup

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
25-12-2013, 09:38 PM
You were in the Navy. There's a subject your could possibly write about - religion and how you perceived it's affects on these military people.