Will Kasich drop out next?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Will Kasich drop out next?
Just reported: Kasich cancelled his scheduled campaign event today and announced he will meet with the media @ 5:00pm back home in Ohio.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2016, 09:39 AM
RE: Will Kasich drop out next?
(04-05-2016 09:31 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Just reported: Kasich cancelled his scheduled campaign event today and announced he will meet with the media @ 5:00pm back home in Ohio.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's under pressure to help unite the party.

Of course, I've heard murmurs of the GOP running another candidate, sacrificing the white house to win more seats in congress. At this point, I'm assuming that's just rumors and conjecture, but I have no idea what percentage of the GOP is fully behind uniting the party.
04-05-2016, 09:45 AM
(04-05-2016 09:39 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 09:31 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Just reported: Kasich cancelled his scheduled campaign event today and announced he will meet with the media @ 5:00pm back home in Ohio.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's under pressure to help unite the party.

Of course, I've heard murmurs of the GOP running another candidate, sacrificing the white house to win more seats in congress. At this point, I'm assuming that's just rumors and conjecture, but I have no idea what percentage of the GOP is fully behind uniting the party.

I've also heard that. I've read there is a group that wants to run some former General as an independent. Forget his name. They're trying to get money together now.

04-05-2016, 09:49 AM
I have to wonder if it would be worth 4 years of a Trump presidency if the end result is the death and ultimate splintering of the Republican Party into several other parties. I think we'd benefit from having more than 2 major parties, primarily because I know that's not what the billionaire class wants. Don't get me wrong, I think the Democrats deserve to fall apart too; I would love to see something more like what they have in the UK: Conservative, Labor, Liberal Democrats, etc.
04-05-2016, 09:50 AM
My question now is, if Kasich drops out, do the remaining states still vote? Or does Trump get the nomination even without the 1237? Or do these remaining states still have the opportunity to vote for candidates that have dropped out? Confusing.

04-05-2016, 09:56 AM
(04-05-2016 09:45 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I've also heard that. I've read there is a group that wants to run some former General as an independent. Forget his name. They're trying to get money together now.

It makes me wonder if there's any benefit to them piggy backing on Gary Johnson's candidacy. There might not be enough overlap for it to work...

(04-05-2016 09:50 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  My question now is, if Kasich drops out, do the remaining states still vote? Or does Trump get the nomination even without the 1237? Or do these remaining states still have the opportunity to vote for candidates that have dropped out? Confusing.

I don't know. What happened in 2008 when Clinton conceded to Obama? I thought she dropped out before the end, but I could be wrong. Also, didn't Santorum drop out before the end in 2012?

Theoretically, you still have to have an election, because those delegates need to get appointed, but maybe not. Maybe they just call a vote with the current delegates at the convention. I've never really understood the ins and outs of primaries.
04-05-2016, 10:00 AM
(04-05-2016 09:50 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  My question now is, if Kasich drops out, do the remaining states still vote? Or does Trump get the nomination even without the 1237? Or do these remaining states still have the opportunity to vote for candidates that have dropped out? Confusing.

Huh? Obviously must be a joking bit. Because of course there's a mass of other races on the Republican tickets. Do you vote or just exist in a quick vote state. Yes candidate names last on the ballot despite dropping out.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-05-2016, 10:01 AM
(04-05-2016 09:56 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Theoretically, you still have to have an election, because those delegates need to get appointed, but maybe not. Maybe they just call a vote with the current delegates at the convention. I've never really understood the ins and outs of primaries.

My hope would be they don't bother holding any more primaries if Trump's the only candidate still running; just hold the down-ballot elections, but that all the candidates from states that didn't vote are free to do whatever they like at the convention.

But I think this is probably not what will happen. I can't imagine there's any way around Trump getting the nomination at this point. Unless my suspicion is correct and he never thought he'd get this far and has no actual intention of being the President, in which case he makes some excuse and also drops out and then it's anybody's guess who gets the nod.
04-05-2016, 10:11 AM
(04-05-2016 10:00 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

Huh? Obviously must be a joking bit. Because of course there's a mass of other races on the Republican tickets. Do you vote or just exist in a quick vote state. Yes candidate names last on the ballot despite dropping out.

I voted in Florida so I wasn't sure how it works. I meant specifically for the GOP nomination. There are no other candidates. My question was do the remaining states vote if their are no other candidates on the ballot except Trump?

04-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Safe bet -- he's sniffing around Trumps butt, looking for a VP gig.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.