Will Trump get rid of separation of church and state?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2016, 04:19 PM
RE: Will Trump get rid of separation of church and state?
(09-11-2016 01:39 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I think the very first things on their agenda:
- end Obamacare
- overturn Roe v. Wade (or make it damn near impossible to get a safe abortion)
- more tax breaks for corporations and BIG earners
- fund the fuck out of the military
Halt international trade.
Hamper immigration.
Give lip service to diplomatic relations.
Ignore global warming
Ignore globalisation.
Allow businesses and insurance companies to refuse family planning care and care for pre-conditions.
Allow states to enforce control over a woman's body.
Allow states to discriminate against gays.

Become a commune (the size of a collection of 52 states)
Piss off Islamic countries, create enemies, lose jobs, make Trump rich and build up his ego even more.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2016, 04:38 PM
He can't get rig of the separation of church and state - it's unconstitutional.

If that happens, I'll be passing out pitchforks and torches just outside of DC. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
11-11-2016, 01:58 AM
(10-11-2016 04:38 PM)kim Wrote:  He can't get rig of the separation of church and state - it's unconstitutional.
Email from the Richard Dawkins Foundation
Quote:During the campaign, Trump circulated a list of jurists he might choose from, each an outspoken opponent of church-state separation and other causes important to us. During his last debate with Hillary Clinton, Trump confirmed that all the justices he would appoint to the Supreme Court would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, thus nullifying the nationwide constitutional protection for abortion rights that women have possessed in this country since January of 1973. President Trump will be able to make one nomination the day he is inaugurated: the replacement for the late Justice Antonin Scalia. In some ways this nomination will be a “wash” – no matter how conservative the appointee may be, he or she will continue the arch-conservative direction that Scalia had embodied on the High Court. More frightening is what comes next: During his four-year term, it is overwhelmingly likely that President Trump will have the opportunity to nominate at least two more Supreme Court Justices. Many observers expect he will replace Justice Anthony Kennedy, now age 80, and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, now 83. In each case, by appointing very conservative Justices, President Trump will radically alter the direction of the Court for decades to come. Why? Kennedy, a perennial “swing vote” on the Roberts Court, often took laudable positions in church-state decisions, and in fact authored the trilogy of decisions that moved lesbians and gays from facing imprisonment for expressing their love to being able to marry in every state of the nation. For her part, Ginsburg has been one of the Court’s leading civil libertarian voices.

A U.S. Supreme Court remolded by President Trump would likely hand down highly adverse rulings that might include:

•Declaring that the First Amendment’s religion clauses forbid only discrimination among religions and denominations, but allow such discrimination between the religious and the non-religious – establishing explicitly that atheists, secular humanists, and other nonreligious Americans are second-class citizens. (The late Justice Scalia once held that "The principle that government cannot favor religion over irreligion is demonstrably false." Imagine a Supreme Court packed with Justices who share this intolerant – and wrong! – view of what the Constitution provides.)
Eddie Tabash
Chair, the Center for Inquiry

Sapere aude
11-11-2016, 02:06 AM
End of separation of church and state?

This is likely to be the end of church and state in any form.
11-11-2016, 02:16 AM
(10-11-2016 01:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 09:05 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Pompey never imagined Caesar would March on Rome.

Kinda different. I mean, Rome had dictators. They created them, had a system in place to implement them. Throughout Roman history they had dozens of dictators, and up until Caesar, they all gave up their power after one year once the crisis that demanded their use had been subverted. Dozens and dozens of dictators, and each and every one of them stepped down and relinquished their power when their time was up. Then again, Caesar wasn't a normal dictator, and wasn't bound in the same ways.

Marius and Sulla
Obama and Trump

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
11-11-2016, 02:36 AM
(11-11-2016 02:16 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 01:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Kinda different. I mean, Rome had dictators. They created them, had a system in place to implement them. Throughout Roman history they had dozens of dictators, and up until Caesar, they all gave up their power after one year once the crisis that demanded their use had been subverted. Dozens and dozens of dictators, and each and every one of them stepped down and relinquished their power when their time was up. Then again, Caesar wasn't a normal dictator, and wasn't bound in the same ways.

Marius and Sulla
Obama and Trump

Hey hey now, I think comparing Obama to Marius isn't really fair. And Sulla was a competent guy - unlike Trump. Also IIRC Sulla explicitly tried to strengthen state institutions so that anyone who took power after him would have a difficult time doing what he did. In the end it turned out to be all for naught, but either of them were a totally different caliber of man to Trump.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-11-2016, 02:50 AM
(11-11-2016 02:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 02:16 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Marius and Sulla
Obama and Trump

Hey hey now, I think comparing Obama to Marius isn't really fair. And Sulla was a competent guy - unlike Trump. Also IIRC Sulla explicitly tried to strengthen state institutions so that anyone who took power after him would have a difficult time doing what he did. In the end it turned out to be all for naught, but either of them were a totally different caliber of man to Trump.

The comparison may not be entirely far, but what comparison is?

1) Trup promises to eradicate Obamas legacy, much like Sulla (ok, including Marius body itself)
2) Sulla stepped back as dictator after he was finished...with removing everybody from society who wasnt supporting him. We will see what Trump will do
3) Sulla was no pansy, and did everything he deemed necessary to get.things.done...his way of course. We will see with trump
4) Obama was the big hope of one part of the populace, Trump the opposite, he represents the "restoration" forces.

What may be the most striking resmblance (but only future will tell us), is that not Sulla ended the roman republic but a guy he spared form the prescriptions on behalf of his advisors requests, saying "Are you sure? He will be worth a hundred Mariuses".

We will see, i just thought it was a interesting historic perspective to look at things. Maybe i should have used a question mark in the first place in my statement. I apologize.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
11-11-2016, 03:56 AM
(11-11-2016 02:50 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 02:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hey hey now, I think comparing Obama to Marius isn't really fair. And Sulla was a competent guy - unlike Trump. Also IIRC Sulla explicitly tried to strengthen state institutions so that anyone who took power after him would have a difficult time doing what he did. In the end it turned out to be all for naught, but either of them were a totally different caliber of man to Trump.

The comparison may not be entirely far, but what comparison is?

1) Trup promises to eradicate Obamas legacy, much like Sulla (ok, including Marius body itself)
2) Sulla stepped back as dictator after he was finished...with removing everybody from society who wasnt supporting him. We will see what Trump will do
3) Sulla was no pansy, and did everything he deemed necessary to get.things.done...his way of course. We will see with trump
4) Obama was the big hope of one part of the populace, Trump the opposite, he represents the "restoration" forces.

What may be the most striking resmblance (but only future will tell us), is that not Sulla ended the roman republic but a guy he spared form the prescriptions on behalf of his advisors requests, saying "Are you sure? He will be worth a hundred Mariuses".

We will see, i just thought it was a interesting historic perspective to look at things. Maybe i should have used a question mark in the first place in my statement. I apologize.

No need to apologise at all! You've backed your statement up very well Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-11-2016, 09:26 AM
(10-11-2016 04:38 PM)kim Wrote:  He can't get rig of the separation of church and state - it's unconstitutional.

If that happens, I'll be passing out pitchforks and torches just outside of DC. Drinking Beverage

It's all apart of that pesky 1st amendment Trump already has complained about not liking how it affects his ability to file lawsuits and punish people against saying things against him. He already bemoaned other parts of it, it doesn't hurt to consider how many of his crew and party in charge of congress have a disdain for that element of the 1st amendment too. If they thought to literally unite in some altering way they'd find the motivation.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson