Will all music, movies, and video games become redundant?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Will all music, movies, and video games become redundant?
I'm noticing that more and more music, movies, and games are rip-offs of others. I hear new music and go "oh they stole that riff from so and so" or watching a new movie I'll go "yeah that plot has been abused, guy meets girl, they have conflict, they end up together."

It seems that with each new classic that gets stapled in the history books, there's less room for new entertainment to emerge. Every time a First Person Shooter comes out now, its every feature is compared to the Call of Duty series. And every time a lyric is accepted as a classic, it denies any future musicians from including similar lyrics in their songs. No musician can make a song called Free Bird without immediate rejection and reference to how Skynyrd did it better.

There are a finite amount of words, plot lines, and combinations of notes in the world. And while video games may be spared due to the insane pace of gaming technology (you can release the same game as 5 years ago if it's got 20x the graphics and realism), I feel that within the next decade or so, movies and music will become stale due to the mass amounts the industry is pumping out daily.

I mean there's like 5 new movies every weekend with cookie cutter plot lines. And I feel that we are at the perfect point in our time line to witness it. Invention of television, new shows, new stories, gets a little old then bam! color tv, then HD tv, more and more shows, movies, and plots. But where can we go from here? This is why 3D is being pushed on us so hard, because it's a new spin on the same old crap they keep throwing our way.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2011, 02:50 PM
RE: Will all music, movies, and video games become redundant?
A friend of mine holds a degree in media science he tells his students the following:

Make yourself no illusions boys and girls! 99.9% of the ideas are already thought up by now. The only difference is: Not yet by you.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
19-05-2011, 04:06 PM

I've noticed the trend as well. I'm not a gamer, but I have noticed the music and movie genres. Lady Gaga being one of the most prolific examples of Madonna worship, the artist not the virgin, while suffering a deplorable deficit in originality.

I think it's not that people have thought up every bit of music that can be imagined, or every movie plot that could play to an audience. I think it's a deliberate programming to keep us entrenched into a finite box of conscious awareness who's repetitive nature reinforces the subconscious that's stimulated by everything we encounter. Be it media, that we all know is fiction, or real life. Because the subconscious doesn't discriminate. It takes it all in, the body's emotional centers, flight or fight, etc... react in rapid fire and all that stimulus is stored in the body, mind and emotions so as to know how the stimulus feels, once encountered. So that if it's encountered again, a person has a data base of memory as to what to do, what it means, how to react.

I'm trained in massage therapy. I've had clients on my table who I'll be working on a specific part of their body and suddenly they'll react emotionally. Thus far it's been sadness, even tears. It's not that I hurt them, it's that the relaxing deep strokes of massage opening those tissues, where those emotions from past experiences were stored, releases them so that they come to the fore once again at just the touch that lets them out of where they deposited in the body.

There's even a discipline called, Somatic Massage Therapy, that addresses the matter. And a Somatic Center, that studies the relationship between body and psychology." Soma " from the Greek meaning, "Of the body".

So I think media content is limited so as to keep us locked in our little familiar boxes. Or, in the world of Neo, plugged in to the Matrix.
It's not that we're limited, it's that we're programmed that way.
Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2011, 04:13 AM
(19-05-2011 04:06 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  So I think media content is limited so as to keep us locked in our little familiar boxes. Or, in the world of Neo, plugged in to the Matrix.
It's not that we're limited, it's that we're programmed that way.
Hmm...

I think your mixing he map with he landscape Kitten... (do hey say that in English?)

I think the media customers are limiting themselves by choosing the same warmed over stuff again and again...

In Belgium we have a lame comedy-show running almost 20 years now. 5 years ago they started with reruns of the first season and STILL people are watching the same old jokes, from witch they already know the punchline.

I think media uses the same concepts over and over because it keeps selling. Not that the people have to watch the same shit over and over because the media keeps rerunning. It is some kind of feedback-loop.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
25-05-2011, 12:02 AM
The biggest reason for ripping off ideas is to copy someone famous so you can use their formula. Big companies exploit this idea all the time for big profits. Taking risks means a certain percentage of failures, each one losing money, so going with sure things or tat which has a proven record is where the $$$ is, often. The first warrior that sticks his head in the door gets it chopped off.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Kind of late but i couldn't resist...
[Image: 1306080915_3220_bigdetail.jpg]

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
13-07-2011, 08:56 PM

The saying goes "No idea is original, there's nothing new under the sun". Even though the main stream is cookie cutter, there are some areas where new developments are being made. Another thing is we've taken for granted how far we've come, I believe we're becoming very desensitized. 10 years ago Flat screens where the thing, then flat panel 5 years ago, now 3D TV. Yet it took 30 years from Black and white to color.

People complain about Apple releasing a new iPhone or iPad every year. How can they not with the way technology advance and with increasing market demands. Not to mention all the other companies they are up against.

Looking for "new great music"....try a different genre. I use to listen only to hip hop (cultural). Started listening to Rock 10 years ago...like discovering a new world. In the world of Rock/metal and everything in between there are thousands of bands. Currently my favorite genre is Progressive instrumental Rock/Metal (Animals As Leaders).

I'm a gamer: FPS (First person shooter) are all the rave now. Call of Duty, every other game just adds to the formula. But I'm playing Vanquish now and it brings back something from the last generation of shooters (bullet time) Slow things down. With new technology we will see increase realism which will enhance the experience. Getting a Tritton Headset instantly added to the experience.

Movies...when DVD's first came out they had a concept of movies where you as the viewer could direct the direction of the character: i.e. Click the left button on your dvd remote to make the character to go through the left door. Didn't really catch on. If viewership was to decrease I think there is much room for innovation.

Ok enough of me babbling
Quote this message in a reply