Will cosmos solve America's Creationism problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2014, 04:44 PM
RE: Will cosmos solve America's Creationism problem
no, but it's a step in the right direction.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like asimmz's post
16-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Re: Will cosmos solve America's Creationism problem
Yes, Neil and his fire stick will banish the creationists

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Solve the problem? No. Help with the increasing number of atheists in the U.S. to grow? Yes.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
16-03-2014, 08:57 PM
(16-03-2014 08:27 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Solve the problem? No. Help with the increasing number of atheists people who might become more interested in science and the world around them? Maybe teach people to be capable of critically thinking in the U.S. to grow? Yes.

The point of the show is not to convert people to becoming atheists, but to educate and inspire people about the world around them, science, culture, history, etc. That does not inherently require one to disbelieve in a god or gods. However, it does require being open minded and understanding critical thinking and freedom of curiosity Thumbsup

I think that is far more important than someone's stance on a god, since that is only one stance on one subject in a sea of information and other subjects.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy talking to my fellow atheists as much as others. But education, curiosity and inspiration are important too.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
16-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Not likely.
Jebus no likey Evolution.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
16-03-2014, 11:48 PM
(14-03-2014 07:18 PM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Title says all.

Not on your life!

It'll take years of constant science barraging for that shit to die off.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-03-2014, 12:09 AM
Clever use of religious animated persecution scenes that would not be overtly anti-religious to the theists, any Creationist struggling with CogDis, could well be moved by this.
Both NDT and McFarlane are not polite Atheists, I'm sure they would view the whole endeavour a failure if it only preached to the choir.

McFarlane :
"“Cosmos” is the first thing that I’ve done in my career that you can sit down with your entire family. It’s for young people and old people. … I think that there is a hunger for science and knowing about science and understanding of science that hasn’t really been fed in the past two decades. We’ve had a resurgence of creationism and intelligent design “theory.” There’s been a real vacuum when it comes to science education."

Must see : http://new.livestream.com/accounts/73367...ts/2797795

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
17-03-2014, 05:59 AM
(16-03-2014 08:57 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(16-03-2014 08:27 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Solve the problem? No. Help with the increasing number of atheists people who might become more interested in science and the world around them? Maybe teach people to be capable of critically thinking in the U.S. to grow? Yes.

The point of the show is not to convert people to becoming atheists, but to educate and inspire people about the world around them, science, culture, history, etc. That does not inherently require one to disbelieve in a god or gods. However, it does require being open minded and understanding critical thinking and freedom of curiosity Thumbsup

I think that is far more important than someone's stance on a god, since that is only one stance on one subject in a sea of information and other subjects.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy talking to my fellow atheists as much as others. But education, curiosity and inspiration are important too.

I never said that the point of it was to convert people to atheism, so please don't go putting words in my mouth. I'm saying that the knowledge that it offers will help to give people more knowledge of the universe and life on Earth, which leads to more people understanding the logic of science as opposed to the magic explanations involved in religion. Tyson's explanation of evolution should certainly help clear up the misconceptions for some people and make them say "Oh, so that's how it works."

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
17-03-2014, 08:49 AM
(14-03-2014 07:26 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  No, Cosmos will help with young minds and fence-sitters, but Creationists will be around as long as religion is alive.

This makes me sad. I have only been reading up on the latest scientific theories in the last couple of years and it amazes me that anyone would want to stick their fingers in the their ears and la la la while believing in talking snakes, noahs ark etc instead of finding out what is actually what and what we have discovered up to now. However I live in the UK so creationist are not that large in number. But I've encountered the odd one here and there and I never know how to respond to them so I just tend to smile and back away slowly Laugh out load

I now have NoFX playing in my head:
NoFX - Best God In Show

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
17-03-2014, 08:52 AM
One's cognitive dissonance has a way of making one avoid that which one does not adamantly believe as truth. Besides, the silly theists will most likely find some mind-numbing reality show to watch while the satanic science show is airing.