Will cosmos solve America's Creationism problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 12:17 PM
RE: Will cosmos solve America's Creationism problem
(14-03-2014 07:26 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  That was rhetorical, right? Creationists have no interest being proved wrong or learning the truth. Courts keep shooting down ID, and despite the precedences, these cases keep popping up, even after the Flying Spaghetti Monster touched everyone of importance in Kansas with his Noodly Appendage. No, Cosmos will help with young minds and fence-sitters, but Creationists will be around as long as religion is alive.

Given that Intelligent Design is almost certainly a fact, I highly doubt it's going away anytime soon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2014, 12:18 PM
(14-03-2014 07:18 PM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Title says all.

The answer is no. In fact, their episode on evolution was so full of dishonesty and outdated concepts that I'd be shocked if it didn't do more harm than good for Darwinists.
22-03-2014, 12:48 PM
See above poster for your answer!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 1 user Likes Crulax's post
22-03-2014, 12:49 PM
(22-03-2014 12:18 PM)Atheist Destroyer Wrote:  

The answer is no. In fact, their episode on evolution was so full of dishonesty and outdated concepts that I'd be shocked if it didn't do more harm than good for Darwinists.

Ahh another idiot. Please cite only peer reviewed items from real science journals to prove your point AiG is not credible and will get points deducted from your score.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
22-03-2014, 01:52 PM
(22-03-2014 12:18 PM)Atheist Destroyer Wrote:  

Are you going to give an example, or just blindly assert? Not to mention the fact that you used the word "Darwinist".

Atheist Destroyer, or Theist Dunce? The choice is yours!

Drinking Beverage

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
22-03-2014, 02:03 PM
[Image: KoSH833.jpg]

This goes to dumbass motherfucker number 2(also known as Atheist Destroyer.)

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 4 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
22-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Considering that Fox cut to commercial during the section on evolution... I doubt it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2014, 03:43 PM
(22-03-2014 12:17 PM)Atheist Destroyer Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 07:26 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  That was rhetorical, right? Creationists have no interest being proved wrong or learning the truth. Courts keep shooting down ID, and despite the precedences, these cases keep popping up, even after the Flying Spaghetti Monster touched everyone of importance in Kansas with his Noodly Appendage. No, Cosmos will help with young minds and fence-sitters, but Creationists will be around as long as religion is alive.

Given that Intelligent Design is almost certainly a fact, I highly doubt it's going away anytime soon.

It is almost certainly not a fact. There is no evidence for it, and there are mountains of evidence against. It will go away with education.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-03-2014, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 03:55 PM by Logisch.)
(17-03-2014 05:59 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(16-03-2014 08:57 PM)Logisch Wrote:  The point of the show is not to convert people to becoming atheists, but to educate and inspire people about the world around them, science, culture, history, etc. That does not inherently require one to disbelieve in a god or gods. However, it does require being open minded and understanding critical thinking and freedom of curiosity Thumbsup

I think that is far more important than someone's stance on a god, since that is only one stance on one subject in a sea of information and other subjects.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy talking to my fellow atheists as much as others. But education, curiosity and inspiration are important too.

I never said that the point of it was to convert people to atheism, so please don't go putting words in my mouth. I'm saying that the knowledge that it offers will help to give people more knowledge of the universe and life on Earth, which leads to more people understanding the logic of science as opposed to the magic explanations involved in religion. Tyson's explanation of evolution should certainly help clear up the misconceptions for some people and make them say "Oh, so that's how it works."

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where I put words in your mouth when you said:

(16-03-2014 08:27 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Solve the problem? No. Help with the increasing number of atheists in the U.S. to grow? Yes.

I will reiterate that I clarified the show is not about creating atheists, but educating people. Your initial post seemed to be about not educating people, but creating atheists. If perhaps in the future you mean something different, you should clarify yourself in order to ensure that people get the correct impression. I'm not trying to be an ass here, just straight and to the point.

No doubt, I'm sure that the number of nonbelievers will rise, but again, the point of the show is educating people, not trying to get them to drop their beliefs. Educate the uneducated. Your initial post talked nothing of that in which I quoted. Stop being so offended. No words were put in your mouth. Sometimes it's as simple as taking a step back and going, "If that is how they took it, is it perhaps the way I worded it?" No beef intended.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
22-03-2014, 04:07 PM
(22-03-2014 01:52 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Not to mention the fact that you used the word "Darwinist".

The term Darwinist exists in every major dictionary and encyclopedia in the world. It's a very real term with a very real meaning, and it's crucial to the debate over origins. If you believe otherwise, then I must regrettably inform you that you've been lied to, and you, not being an actual skeptic, have accepted it without a single critical thought taking place.