Will cosmos solve America's Creationism problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 04:20 PM
RE: Will cosmos solve America's Creationism problem
(22-03-2014 04:07 PM)Atheist Destroyer Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 01:52 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Not to mention the fact that you used the word "Darwinist".

The term Darwinist exists in every major dictionary and encyclopedia in the world. It's a very real term with a very real meaning, and it's crucial to the debate over origins. If you believe otherwise, then I must regrettably inform you that you've been lied to, and you, not being an actual skeptic, have accepted it without a single critical thought taking place.

No, it is not crucial - it is an outdated term. If you wish to argue about evolution, the theory you are arguing about is the modern evolutionary synthesis, also referred to as Neo-Darwinism.

Your argument is confusing if you use the wrong terms. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-03-2014, 04:21 PM
(22-03-2014 04:16 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 04:07 PM)Atheist Destroyer Wrote:  The term Darwinist exists in every major dictionary and encyclopedia in the world. It's a very real term with a very real meaning, and it's crucial to the debate over origins. If you believe otherwise, then I must regrettably inform you that you've been lied to, and you, not being an actual skeptic, have accepted it without a single critical thought taking place.

Yes, it's all a great big Scientific conspiracy, and no one can think critically unless their thoughts come directly from sermons, the bible, or AiG.

Please, tell us more about critical thinking.

Well obviously it's a conspiracy, rampant.a.i. Obviously.

How else can one account for the consistent beliefs of the vast majority of the world's scientists and educated people, theist and atheist alike, in "Darwinism" evolutionary biology?

It certainly couldn't be attributed to an ever-expanding body of wholly self-consistent and thoroughly explicable data and analysis.

That's just crazy talk.

No, "lol conspiracy" is the only sane answer here. And if you disagree you're one of them.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
22-03-2014, 04:23 PM
(22-03-2014 04:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 04:18 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  God made me ugly, and that is unintelligent design. That means intelligent design is false.

You wanna talk about things made ugly; what about the poor old Blobfish? That poor bastard was never meant to reach the light of day, in more ways than one.

I think its cuteTongue

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
22-03-2014, 04:24 PM
(22-03-2014 01:52 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Not to mention the fact that you used the word "Darwinist".

The term Darwinist exists in every major dictionary and encyclopedia in the world. It's a very real term with a very real meaning, and it's crucial to the debate over origins. If you believe otherwise, then I must regrettably inform you that you've been lied to, and you, not being an actual skeptic, have accepted it without a single critical thought taking place.

Oxford accepted the words 'twerk', 'srsly', and 'derp'. Your argument is invalid.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
22-03-2014, 04:24 PM

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK Darwin!

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
22-03-2014, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 04:39 PM by Crulax.)
(22-03-2014 04:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 04:18 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  God made me ugly, and that is unintelligent design. That means intelligent design is false.

You wanna talk about things made ugly; what about the poor old Blobfish? That poor bastard was never meant to reach the light of day, in more ways than one.

[Image: 9377dfcc-e6dd-4260-a5d9-eab8bee65259_zps...1395527945]

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 4 users Like Crulax's post
22-03-2014, 04:35 PM
(22-03-2014 04:33 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 04:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You wanna talk about things made ugly; what about the poor old Blobfish? That poor bastard was never meant to reach the light of day, in more ways than one.

[Image: blobfish122way_custom-dd3fcd75ff56be0187...1395441143]

22-03-2014, 09:36 PM
(22-03-2014 03:50 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(17-03-2014 05:59 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I never said that the point of it was to convert people to atheism, so please don't go putting words in my mouth. I'm saying that the knowledge that it offers will help to give people more knowledge of the universe and life on Earth, which leads to more people understanding the logic of science as opposed to the magic explanations involved in religion. Tyson's explanation of evolution should certainly help clear up the misconceptions for some people and make them say "Oh, so that's how it works."

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where I put words in your mouth when you said:

(16-03-2014 08:27 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Solve the problem? No. Help with the increasing number of atheists in the U.S. to grow? Yes.

I will reiterate that I clarified the show is not about creating atheists, but educating people. Your initial post seemed to be about not educating people, but creating atheists. If perhaps in the future you mean something different, you should clarify yourself in order to ensure that people get the correct impression. I'm not trying to be an ass here, just straight and to the point.

No doubt, I'm sure that the number of nonbelievers will rise, but again, the point of the show is educating people, not trying to get them to drop their beliefs. Educate the uneducated. Your initial post talked nothing of that in which I quoted. Stop being so offended. No words were put in your mouth. Sometimes it's as simple as taking a step back and going, "If that is how they took it, is it perhaps the way I worded it?" No beef intended.

And I never claimed the show was about creating atheists. That's what you turned it into. It's like somebody saying "The internet has helped with the growth of atheism", then somebody turning and saying "The internet wasn't created for the purpose of spreading atheism". Well, obviously it wasn't. That is what you did. You twisted my words into something else. I said that it can have an effect of clarifying misconceptions. I never claimed that the purpose of the show was to create more atheists.

I'm not accusing you of purposely trying to cause a problem. If you simply ask for clarification of what I said, then I will gladly do that for you.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
22-03-2014, 09:42 PM
(22-03-2014 04:08 PM)Atheist Destroyer Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 03:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is almost certainly not a fact. There is no evidence for it, and there are mountains of evidence against. It will go away with education.

Every line of evidence supports it.

I don't see this guy destroying any atheists yet.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
22-03-2014, 09:46 PM
(22-03-2014 04:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 04:07 PM)Atheist Destroyer Wrote:  The term Darwinist exists in every major dictionary and encyclopedia in the world. It's a very real term with a very real meaning, and it's crucial to the debate over origins. If you believe otherwise, then I must regrettably inform you that you've been lied to, and you, not being an actual skeptic, have accepted it without a single critical thought taking place.

No, it is not crucial - it is an outdated term. If you wish to argue about evolution, the theory you are arguing about is the modern evolutionary synthesis, also referred to as Neo-Darwinism.

Your argument is confusing if you use the wrong terms. Drinking Beverage
Just don't answer him. I think he's one of the spiteful theists, Who, if they can't win an argument or have lost one, just nitpick and point out typos, or something that doesn't help their case.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post