Will humanity ever explore the stars?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Will humanity ever explore the stars?
Oftentimes Sci-fi shows humanity expanding throughout the galaxy, oftentimes with other aliens races who have done the same. Some people beleive, that one day, hummanity will rule half the galaxy. I call BS on this.

Will humans colonize other planets? Mabye. Possibly. No way to tell at this point. A colony on the moon, Mars, Mercury, Ganymede, or other celestial bodies isn't impossible. They're not that far away on an astronomical scale. However, after a few generations on there, the lower gravity would screw up the people living there, to where they'd have to go through intensive strength training to visit a celestial body of greater mass. And there's also the problem of supplies. These colonies would be dependant on supplies from Earth. If something were to happen at home, the people living there would be screwed. However, it's not an impossibility, and mabye in the next 100-200 years we might colonize other celestial bodies.

However, I think that the human race will probably never send people out to other star systems. It's not impossible that we might send people to colonize some of our neighbors, such as Alpha Centari, and St. Bernards star. The problem with that though is, according to Einstien's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster then the speed of light. Humans will never have light speed, because according to that same theory, to travel at light speed, you'd either need infinite mass, or infinite energy. Realistically, we'd probably, at most, get to 1/2 the speed of light. Even so, it'd take about 8 years for supplies to reach Alpha Centari, 12 for St. Bernard's star. Wait, even longer, because time warps space, and if you were to travel at 1/2 the speed of light your time would be slower then the rest of the universe. It'd be 8 years for you, if you were delivering supplies, but it would be about 12 or so years for the people on Alpha Centari.

In conclusion

Colonizing other planets: Not 100% likely, but definatly possible.

Colonizing nearby star systems: Extremely unlikely, but still possible

Colonizing half the galaxy: A complete load of BS

What are your thoughts on this?

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes My proboscis sucks's post
04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
RE: Will humanity ever explore the stars?
is it possible we could develope tech to counteract the gravity problem? could maybe changing people on a genitic level help?
is it nessasary to get supplies from earth? isnt energy really the only thing we need?
once we colonize the "close" star systems couldnt we continue to spread? is 8 or 12 years really that long of a time period?
i think the problem here is that your thinking is 20th/21st century. if you were to ask an ancient person if it were possible to go to the moon he would likely say it was impossible. we dont know what might be possible in the future.
04-03-2013, 08:59 PM
I would say that if we dont destroy ourselves:

we will PROBABLY colonize the solar system, moon, mars.
Its unlikely that we will colonize nearby solar systems while still homosapiens.
Its somewhat likely that we will colonize nearby solar systems as machine, or as highly modified cyborg.
Beyond that, no idea.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
04-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Oh, and also, for the speed limit problem... Warp drive homie! I think it maybe be a reality in 200-300 years.
05-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Given enough time (and assuming we don't destroy ourselves). But I think the main problem that is standing between us and interstellar travel is our priorities. If we ("we" as in the entire world) put aside our differences and understood that the only way we can truly succeed as a people not just belonging to a single planet, but the entirety of the cosmos. And if we made it our life goal to improve humanity and push the boundaries just a little further. Then I think it would be inevitable.
05-03-2013, 01:07 AM
(04-03-2013 09:02 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Oh, and also, for the speed limit problem... Warp drive homie! I think it maybe be a reality in 200-300 years.
Warp drive requires exploiting a loophole in our current understanding of physics.

So far there is no evidence that such a loophole exists. If it does it certainly wont be easy to exploit.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
05-03-2013, 01:17 AM
(05-03-2013 01:07 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 09:02 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Oh, and also, for the speed limit problem... Warp drive homie! I think it maybe be a reality in 200-300 years.
Warp drive requires exploiting a loophole in our current understanding of physics.

So far there is no evidence that such a loophole exists. If it does it certainly wont be easy to exploit.
You might find this interesting: http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will-bui...warp-drive
05-03-2013, 01:33 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 01:43 AM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
(05-03-2013 01:07 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  

"No evidence", in this case, meaning that its still theoretical. Like how the Higgs was theoretical, until it wasn't anymore? Do you think this "loophole" just means the current math is a slightly broken, closest approximation of reality? Or is it that the exotic matter required seems unobtainable?

Not trying to be a smart ass. The way I see it, if its possible, we will know soon. There is still good research being done on the subject, and it seems more promising each year. It also seems like IF its possible, it should be an easier to use form of travel than worm-holes, which by comparison, seem no closer to reality than they did decades ago.

Either way, I really hope we are able to work around or break the speed limit. But, even if we can't, I'm certain (if we don't destroy ourselves or see another dark age) we will be able to advance our technology enough to eventually become machine. Then the travel time wont matter.
05-03-2013, 06:16 PM
(05-03-2013 01:33 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 01:07 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Warp drive requires exploiting a loophole in our current understanding of physics.

"No evidence", in this case, meaning that its still theoretical. Like how the Higgs was theoretical, until it wasn't anymore? Do you think this "loophole" just means the current math is a slightly broken, closest approximation of reality? Or is it that the exotic matter required seems unobtainable?

Not trying to be a smart ass. The way I see it, if its possible, we will know soon. There is still good research being done on the subject, and it seems more promising each year. It also seems like IF its possible, it should be an easier to use form of travel than worm-holes, which by comparison, seem no closer to reality than they did decades ago.

Either way, I really hope we are able to work around or break the speed limit. But, even if we can't, I'm certain (if we don't destroy ourselves or see another dark age) we will be able to advance our technology enough to eventually become machine. Then the travel time wont matter.
I'm skeptical on warp drive, I'll believe it once we invent it.Warp drive appears in Star Trek, but it's Science Fiction, not reality. The only Science Fiction I take serious is Arthur C. Clarke's and his books are pretty realistic.Also, how would us being machines help any?

And the speed limit is a problem. Below is a list of all the nearby star systems within 5 parsecs (16.3 light-years) from our sun, and how long it would take to ship supplies to them traveling at 1/2 the speed of light WITHOUT the warping of time taken into consideration (can someone with the brains and math skills improve my chart please to include the warping of time?)

Alpha Centauri:8.6 years
St. Barnard's Star:12 years
Wolf 359:15.6 years
Lalande 21185:16.6 years
Sirius:17.2 years
Luyten 726-8:17.2 years
Ross 154:19.4 years
Ross 248:20.6 years
WISE 1506+7027:21 years
Epsilon Eridani:21 years
Lacaille 9352:21.4 years
Ross 128:21.8 years
WISE 0350-5658:22.4 years
EZ Aquarii:22.6 years
Procyon:22.8 years
61 Cygni:22.8 years
Struve 2398:23 years
Groombridge 34:23.2 years
Epsilon Indi:23.6 years
DX Cancri:23.6 years
Tau Ceti:23.8 years
GJ 1061:24 years
YZ Ceti:24.2 years
Luyten's Star:24.8 years
Teegarden's Star:25 years
SCR 1845-6357:25.2 years
Kapteyen's Star:25.6 years
Lacaille 8760:25.8 years
Kruger 60:26 years
DEN 1048-3956:26.2 years
UGPS 0722-05:26.6 years
Ross 614:26.6 years
Wolf 1061:27.6 years
WISE 0410+1502:28 years
Van Maanen's Star:28.2 years
Gliese 1:28.4 years
Wolf 424:28.6 years
TZ Arietis:29 years
Gliese 687:29.6 years
LHS 292:29.6 years
Gliese 674:29.6 years
GJ 1245:29.6 years
Gliese 440:30.2 years
GJ 1002:30.6 years
Gliese 876:30.6 years
LHS 288:31.2 years
WISE 1405+5534:31.6 years
Gliese 412:31.6 years
Groombridge 1618:31.6 years
AD Leonis:31.8 years
DENIS J081730.0-615520:32.2 years
Gliese 832:32.2 years
LP 944-020:32.4 years
DEN 0255-4700:32.4 years

That's a long time isn't it. And these are just our next-door neighbors! If you were to put a colony a sizable distance from Earth on a galactic scale, it would take 1,000s of years for supplies to get to their destination!

Also, there's the problem of communication. Radio waves are the fastest way of communication we have, but they only go at the speed of light. Let's say the colony on Tau Ceti needs a certain supply. Badly. Like, if they don't get it within the next decade, the colony will DIE. It would need to transmit a signal to Earth, but it would take 11.9 years for the signal to get there, and then Earth loads up a transport and sends it on it's way. Only problem, it'd take 23.8 years to get to it's destination WITHOUT the bending of time taken into consideration. It'd be 23.8 years for the crew on the freighter, longer for the people in the colonies. By the time the freighter gets to it's destination, it's been 35.7 years since Tau Ceti sent the transmission, and the whole colony has died out.

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
05-03-2013, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 06:52 PM by Adenosis.)
(05-03-2013 06:16 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  And the speed limit is a problem. Below is a list of all the nearby star systems within 5 parsecs (16.3 light-years) from our sun, and how long it would take to ship supplies to them traveling at 1/2 the speed of light WITHOUT the warping of time taken into consideration (can someone with the brains and math skills improve my chart please to include the warping of time?)

I do not think time dilation would have an effect on the time it takes a ship to get to a specific position in space. It would only effect the time of the members on board relative to the earth as well as to the destination planet(depending on their relative velocities). If you travel towards something that is a light year away, at half the speed of light, it will take two years (in earth time or in the destination planets time assuming they are in the same galaxy and do not have a massive different in velocity through space). I think the people on the ship would experience the trip to be much shorter though.

However I could be wrong, someone more familiar with time dilation may step in.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious