Will humanity ever explore the stars?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2013, 08:38 PM
RE: Will humanity ever explore the stars?
(05-03-2013 01:33 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 01:07 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Warp drive requires exploiting a loophole in our current understanding of physics.

So far there is no evidence that such a loophole exists. If it does it certainly wont be easy to exploit.
"No evidence", in this case, meaning that its still theoretical. Like how the Higgs was theoretical, until it wasn't anymore? Do you think this "loophole" just means the current math is a slightly broken, closest approximation of reality? Or is it that the exotic matter required seems unobtainable?

Not trying to be a smart ass. The way I see it, if its possible, we will know soon. There is still good research being done on the subject, and it seems more promising each year. It also seems like IF its possible, it should be an easier to use form of travel than worm-holes, which by comparison, seem no closer to reality than they did decades ago.

Either way, I really hope we are able to work around or break the speed limit. But, even if we can't, I'm certain (if we don't destroy ourselves or see another dark age) we will be able to advance our technology enough to eventually become machine. Then the travel time wont matter.
I was saying it might be possible but the current methods require exotic particles or special conditions that might make them impractical for a long time.

In the end there are many ways to get to other stars. Like you said. If there is a technological singularity then FTL will not be necessary.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2013, 02:26 AM
Birth control and family planning is the number one reason why we will not colonize outside our solar system. While the population of the earth is rising right now, soon it will begin to level out and then fall. It has in countries like Japan. In the United States the birth rate is insufficient to maintain the current population(immigration keeps the pop growing). As a species we simply won't need to colonize new worlds so there won't be a big push for it.

Insults From Thinkingatheists forgiven 151
06-03-2013, 09:02 AM
We won't need to colonize? And then when a massive object hits earth and kills everyone? Well, so much for the human race...
06-03-2013, 03:42 PM
There could be a remote possibility. Humanity could build a giant spaceship with lots of passengers and send it toward distant stars. The journey could take thousands of years but at the end the descendants of the first passengers could colonize some exotic planet. The spaceship should be able to acquire energy from the surrounding space (maybe light?) and use it to support life inside it (its little but perfect biosphere, with plants, animals etc.). Even more efficient (but less romantic) if passengers are in some way "freezed", so no need of nurturing them, only the energy to mantain them freezed and to revive them at the arrival (all computer driven, the program decides when he have found a suitable planet according to its programming). For now it's still sci-fi but maybe in the future there will be the tecnology... God only knows

We walk by faith, not by sight. Angel
06-03-2013, 05:54 PM
(06-03-2013 02:26 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Birth control and family planning is the number one reason why we will not colonize outside our solar system. While the population of the earth is rising right now, soon it will begin to level out and then fall. It has in countries like Japan. In the United States the birth rate is insufficient to maintain the current population(immigration keeps the pop growing). As a species we simply won't need to colonize new worlds so there won't be a big push for it.

If population were the ONLY factor in making a colony on another celestial body, we'd be fine. We could send about 10,000 people to the Moon (a dent in the Earth's population) and it would be a thriving colony. Then after the Moon, mabye Mars, and then Mercury, and then mabye Ganymede and Callisto...who knows? I don't call BS on intersolar travel. Just extrasolar. Most likely scenario, all we'll do is send unmanned probes to our nearby star systems, but that's it. Sending humans to our neighbors is extremely unlikely. Possible, but extremely unlikely. And colonizing half the galaxy is complete fucking nonsense.

Kreuzfel> Cryogenic freezing is impossible. You see, the problem with it is, water expands as it's frozen. When you freeze someone, the water in their cells expands, and bursts their cell walls, which causes them to die. That's why frostbite kills limbs. The cells in said limbs have burst.

Also, building a giant spaceship designed for a 1,000 year journey...I'll beleive it when I see it. The prospect is extremely unlikely.

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
07-03-2013, 01:58 AM
(06-03-2013 05:54 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  If population were the ONLY factor in making a colony on another celestial body, we'd be fine. We could send about 10,000 people to the Moon (a dent in the Earth's population) and it would be a thriving colony. Then after the Moon, mabye Mars, and then Mercury, and then mabye Ganymede and Callisto...who knows? I don't call BS on intersolar travel. Just extrasolar. Most likely scenario, all we'll do is send unmanned probes to our nearby star systems, but that's it. Sending humans to our neighbors is extremely unlikely. Possible, but extremely unlikely. And colonizing half the galaxy is complete fucking nonsense.

Also, building a giant spaceship designed for a 1,000 year journey...I'll beleive it when I see it. The prospect is extremely unlikely.

I believe we will establish colonies in the solar system...for study and the mining of resources. But I don't see us actually having an incentive to colonize other solar systems except for an unlikely event as the one depicted in this video.

07-03-2013, 02:05 AM
(06-03-2013 05:54 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Kreuzfel> Cryogenic freezing is impossible. You see, the problem with it is, water expands as it's frozen. When you freeze someone, the water in their cells expands, and bursts their cell walls, which causes them to die. That's why frostbite kills limbs. The cells in said limbs have burst.

Yeah, very unlikely indeed, but not impossible to me. I used the word "freeze" quoted just to give the idea, maybe they will find a way to stop cellular aging with some kind of wierd futuristic tecnique. Same thing with the spaceship, if you think that pyramids are still here after 2000 years (exposed to all weather conditions) it's not crazy to imagine a distant future where a big sturdy spaceship will be reality.

We walk by faith, not by sight. Angel
08-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Heywood> Population is not a factor in this. You could start a successful colony anywhere with just 10,000 people. The factor is just the huge distances involved. Communication and supply shipping would take too long. The only way I can think this might succeed is if we find planets in these systems with the right amount of atmosphere. It's a delicate balance though. To find another planet with the right amount of nitrogen and oxygen for us nearby is unlikely. Even if we do find such a planet, the people living there would not belong to any nationality on Earth. They would become their own "country" because, like I said earlier, they are pretty much isolated.

Cosmos> You still didn't answer my question. How in the hell would us being machines help us break the laws of physics?

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
08-03-2013, 10:01 PM
(08-03-2013 08:02 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Heywood> Population is not a factor in this. You could start a successful colony anywhere with just 10,000 people. The factor is just the huge distances involved. Communication and supply shipping would take too long. The only way I can think this might succeed is if we find planets in these systems with the right amount of atmosphere. It's a delicate balance though. To find another planet with the right amount of nitrogen and oxygen for us nearby is unlikely. Even if we do find such a planet, the people living there would not belong to any nationality on Earth. They would become their own "country" because, like I said earlier, they are pretty much isolated.
If the earth was over populated with little or no hope of the growth leveling off then there would be pressure to establish off world colonies. I think population growth is going to level off and then begin to decline so I don't see this happening.
There is another reason why I could see people wanting to organize to go live off world and that is because they find their current government/society not to thier liking.

I agree with your point that any such off world colonies would be soverign.

09-03-2013, 12:23 AM
(08-03-2013 08:02 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Cosmos> You still didn't answer my question. How in the hell would us being machines help us break the laws of physics?
Wouldn't need to break physics if you can "live" for thousands of years? I thought that would be the obvious conclusion...