Will humanity ever explore the stars?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 11:42 AM
RE: Will humanity ever explore the stars?
(09-04-2013 10:47 AM)UnholyWarrior Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 07:01 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Colonizing other planets: Not 100% likely, but definatly possible.
Colonizing nearby star systems: Extremely unlikely, but still possible
Colonizing half the galaxy: A complete load of BS

Colonizing half the galaxy: Not imaginable in the foreseeable future; the technology to travel to our neighboring stars will eventually enable us to expand further out - but the key consideration is that the time required for interspace travel is likely to remain very significant - so the interactions of all these human colonies (outside our solar system) will be very limited. Once established, colonies in other solar systems will need to be self-sufficient and will develop (or fail) on their own - the lifeboat ain't coming! No

That's the exact situation that most early explorers had. There would be no communication between their new group and their home. If we are ever to colonize beyond our solar system (We can communicate from Neptune to Earth in a matter of about 4 hours one-way, so while it's kind of a pain at that time, it's not all that hard to achieve), it's going to take people with some pretty massive balls.

Semper requiremus veritatis.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 07:26 AM
I think Deep is right (in another thread) that if we can get out there and colonize, we will eventually span all corners of the galaxy.
I think humans are a bit of a plague like that.

The problem is, I am in no way convinced that we will ever colonize another planet outside of our solar system, so I just can't see it happening.
Man kind is too fragile, and the earth is too fragile. I think we (man kind) will be whipped out in some way or another (nuclear war, giant ass asteroid (what my money is on), irreversible global warming, sun running out of juice etc..) before we ever colonize outside of our solar system to a degree that that colonization is able to expand and grow a civilization that can then go colonize somewhere else.

It's just that initial step because once you've done it once, you've got all the know-how to do it again and don't have to waste like 150,000 years evolving...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
12-04-2013, 01:13 PM
(12-04-2013 07:26 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think Deep is right (in another thread) that if we can get out there and colonize, we will eventually span all corners of the galaxy.

The problem is, I am in no way convinced that we will ever colonize another planet outside of our solar system, so I just can't see it happening.
Man kind is too fragile, and the earth is too fragile. I think we (man kind) will be whipped out in some way or another (nuclear war, giant ass asteroid (what my money is on), irreversible global warming, sun running out of juice etc..) before we ever colonize outside of our solar system to a degree that that colonization is able to expand and grow a civilization that can then go colonize somewhere else.

It's just that initial step because once you've done it once, you've got all the know-how to do it again and don't have to waste like 150,000 years evolving...

If mankind last another 100 years without some major calamity, we will build machines that will eventually colonize the galaxy.
12-04-2013, 03:21 PM
(04-03-2013 08:59 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I would say that if we dont destroy ourselves:

we will PROBABLY colonize the solar system, moon, mars.
Its unlikely that we will colonize nearby solar systems while still homosapiens.
Its somewhat likely that we will colonize nearby solar systems as machine, or as highly modified cyborg.
Beyond that, no idea.
I believe that we will send cyborgs to "hatch" first generation of humans in a laboratory on a hospitable planet with a social plan generated by Earthling.

But, I agree, that we have a social self-destruction possibility. I am trying all I can - I am working on the scientific social plan to avoid the doom of atheists and blacks constantly accusing "oppression!"

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
12-04-2013, 07:48 PM
If we can make it to a Type-1 civilization, there's almost nothing that can stop us from becoming a Type-3. We just have to make it to about 2070 without killing everything.

Semper requiremus veritatis.
12-04-2013, 08:23 PM
(12-04-2013 01:13 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 07:26 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think Deep is right (in another thread) that if we can get out there and colonize, we will eventually span all corners of the galaxy.

If mankind last another 100 years without some major calamity, we will build machines that will eventually colonize the galaxy.

Oh, I had no idea you could see into the future.
Tell me, what are tonight's lotto numbers?

12-04-2013, 09:20 PM
(12-04-2013 08:23 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 01:13 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If mankind last another 100 years without some major calamity, we will build machines that will eventually colonize the galaxy.

Oh, I had no idea you could see into the future.

1-10-13-19-21 and the mega ball is 28
12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
(12-04-2013 09:20 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 08:23 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh, I had no idea you could see into the future.

1-10-13-19-21 and the mega ball is 28

Nope.
The lotto numbers are 6 numbers and a bonus ball.
You sir, are a fake prophet.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-04-2013, 03:59 AM
(12-04-2013 11:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 09:20 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  1-10-13-19-21 and the mega ball is 28

Nope.
The lotto numbers are 6 numbers and a bonus ball.
You sir, are a fake prophet.

I thought you wanted the mega million numbers.
13-04-2013, 04:24 AM
(04-03-2013 07:01 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Oftentimes Sci-fi shows humanity expanding throughout the galaxy, oftentimes with other aliens races who have done the same. Some people beleive, that one day, hummanity will rule half the galaxy. I call BS on this.

Will humans colonize other planets? Mabye. Possibly. No way to tell at this point. A colony on the moon, Mars, Mercury, Ganymede, or other celestial bodies isn't impossible. They're not that far away on an astronomical scale. However, after a few generations on there, the lower gravity would screw up the people living there, to where they'd have to go through intensive strength training to visit a celestial body of greater mass. And there's also the problem of supplies. These colonies would be dependant on supplies from Earth. If something were to happen at home, the people living there would be screwed. However, it's not an impossibility, and mabye in the next 100-200 years we might colonize other celestial bodies.

However, I think that the human race will probably never send people out to other star systems. It's not impossible that we might send people to colonize some of our neighbors, such as Alpha Centari, and St. Bernards star. The problem with that though is, according to Einstien's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster then the speed of light. Humans will never have light speed, because according to that same theory, to travel at light speed, you'd either need infinite mass, or infinite energy. Realistically, we'd probably, at most, get to 1/2 the speed of light. Even so, it'd take about 8 years for supplies to reach Alpha Centari, 12 for St. Bernard's star. Wait, even longer, because time warps space, and if you were to travel at 1/2 the speed of light your time would be slower then the rest of the universe. It'd be 8 years for you, if you were delivering supplies, but it would be about 12 or so years for the people on Alpha Centari.

In conclusion

Colonizing other planets: Not 100% likely, but definatly possible.

Colonizing nearby star systems: Extremely unlikely, but still possible

Colonizing half the galaxy: A complete load of BS

What are your thoughts on this?

It seems you are making the assumption that all colonization of the galaxy would start from earth.

Rather, just as colonization of Mars would start from either the moon or an orbital platform, colonization of a moon of Jupiter would start from Mars, not earth, from Jupiter to Saturn's moons, and so on. In the same way, a hypothetical "Generation" ship could travel from, say, Saturn, for instance, to Alpha Centauri, if that's possible. The next star system is colonized not from earth, but from Alpha Centauri, and so on. There is no reason to think that earth needs to be the source of supplies. Food can be grown hydroponically. Water from comets or ice moons, metals from asteroids, gasses harvested perhaps from gas giants. If a colony cannot be self-sustaining, it doesn't get started. No reason to think far colonies rely on earth. Whatever colony made it to another spiral arm might not even know much about earth because their connections would have come from another direct line of colonization from previous stars. Since this process would take centuries to millennia, assuming no warp drive or FTL were ever discovered, then evolution would also lend a hand. Who knows what a space-faring race would evolve, but it would have to adapt to survive, and adapt it would. None of this will ever happen by means of government sponsorship. A moon or Mars colony could only happen if a corporation thinks it is financially beneficial.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I think it's more plausible then your initial thoughts would suggest.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel