Will humanity ever explore the stars?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2013, 05:22 AM
RE: Will humanity ever explore the stars?
(13-04-2013 04:24 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 07:01 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Oftentimes Sci-fi shows humanity expanding throughout the galaxy, oftentimes with other aliens races who have done the same. Some people beleive, that one day, hummanity will rule half the galaxy. I call BS on this.

Will humans colonize other planets? Mabye. Possibly. No way to tell at this point. A colony on the moon, Mars, Mercury, Ganymede, or other celestial bodies isn't impossible. They're not that far away on an astronomical scale. However, after a few generations on there, the lower gravity would screw up the people living there, to where they'd have to go through intensive strength training to visit a celestial body of greater mass. And there's also the problem of supplies. These colonies would be dependant on supplies from Earth. If something were to happen at home, the people living there would be screwed. However, it's not an impossibility, and mabye in the next 100-200 years we might colonize other celestial bodies.

However, I think that the human race will probably never send people out to other star systems. It's not impossible that we might send people to colonize some of our neighbors, such as Alpha Centari, and St. Bernards star. The problem with that though is, according to Einstien's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster then the speed of light. Humans will never have light speed, because according to that same theory, to travel at light speed, you'd either need infinite mass, or infinite energy. Realistically, we'd probably, at most, get to 1/2 the speed of light. Even so, it'd take about 8 years for supplies to reach Alpha Centari, 12 for St. Bernard's star. Wait, even longer, because time warps space, and if you were to travel at 1/2 the speed of light your time would be slower then the rest of the universe. It'd be 8 years for you, if you were delivering supplies, but it would be about 12 or so years for the people on Alpha Centari.

In conclusion

Colonizing other planets: Not 100% likely, but definatly possible.

Colonizing nearby star systems: Extremely unlikely, but still possible

Colonizing half the galaxy: A complete load of BS

What are your thoughts on this?

It seems you are making the assumption that all colonization of the galaxy would start from earth.

Rather, just as colonization of Mars would start from either the moon or an orbital platform, colonization of a moon of Jupiter would start from Mars, not earth, from Jupiter to Saturn's moons, and so on. In the same way, a hypothetical "Generation" ship could travel from, say, Saturn, for instance, to Alpha Centauri, if that's possible. The next star system is colonized not from earth, but from Alpha Centauri, and so on. There is no reason to think that earth needs to be the source of supplies. Food can be grown hydroponically. Water from comets or ice moons, metals from asteroids, gasses harvested perhaps from gas giants. If a colony cannot be self-sustaining, it doesn't get started. No reason to think far colonies rely on earth. Whatever colony made it to another spiral arm might not even know much about earth because their connections would have come from another direct line of colonization from previous stars. Since this process would take centuries to millennia, assuming no warp drive or FTL were ever discovered, then evolution would also lend a hand. Who knows what a space-faring race would evolve, but it would have to adapt to survive, and adapt it would. None of this will ever happen by means of government sponsorship. A moon or Mars colony could only happen if a corporation thinks it is financially beneficial.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I think it's more plausible then your initial thoughts would suggest.

Mars would be shitty place to live. A corporation would have to pay colonists quite a bit to get them to move there.

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 05:38 AM
(13-04-2013 05:22 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 04:24 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  It seems you are making the assumption that all colonization of the galaxy would start from earth.

Rather, just as colonization of Mars would start from either the moon or an orbital platform, colonization of a moon of Jupiter would start from Mars, not earth, from Jupiter to Saturn's moons, and so on. In the same way, a hypothetical "Generation" ship could travel from, say, Saturn, for instance, to Alpha Centauri, if that's possible. The next star system is colonized not from earth, but from Alpha Centauri, and so on. There is no reason to think that earth needs to be the source of supplies. Food can be grown hydroponically. Water from comets or ice moons, metals from asteroids, gasses harvested perhaps from gas giants. If a colony cannot be self-sustaining, it doesn't get started. No reason to think far colonies rely on earth. Whatever colony made it to another spiral arm might not even know much about earth because their connections would have come from another direct line of colonization from previous stars. Since this process would take centuries to millennia, assuming no warp drive or FTL were ever discovered, then evolution would also lend a hand. Who knows what a space-faring race would evolve, but it would have to adapt to survive, and adapt it would. None of this will ever happen by means of government sponsorship. A moon or Mars colony could only happen if a corporation thinks it is financially beneficial.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I think it's more plausible then your initial thoughts would suggest.

Mars would be shitty place to live. A corporation would have to pay colonists quite a bit to get them to move there.

I didn't realize you'd been there.

And...

I wouldn't need to be paid much more than room and board to live on another planet.

Coffeedrinker

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
13-04-2013, 12:16 PM
(13-04-2013 05:38 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 05:22 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Mars would be shitty place to live. A corporation would have to pay colonists quite a bit to get them to move there.

I didn't realize you'd been there.

And...

I wouldn't need to be paid much more than room and board to live on another planet.

Coffeedrinker

Maybe if you were the first, but what if your were the 5000th and there wasn't anything special about living on another planet....that it was as special as say living in antartica is now. Would you still be so willing to leave comfy earth for ice cold mars for little more than room and board?

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
13-04-2013, 05:51 PM
(13-04-2013 12:16 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 05:38 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I didn't realize you'd been there.

And...

Coffeedrinker

Maybe if you were the first, but what if your were the 5000th and there wasn't anything special about living on another planet....that it was as special as say living in antartica is now. Would you still be so willing to leave comfy earth for ice cold mars for little more than room and board?

Depends who's there, family and friends could definitely play a role. Also, having 1/3rd the gravity would be very interesting. Can you imagine playing basketball on Mars? fuck that would be sweet.

Plus you could see the Earth through a telescope (or just in the sky as a dot), that would be a big plus. Next biggest part would be the job opportunities.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

13-04-2013, 10:32 PM
The planet is pounded by solar radiation. It has very little magnetic field and that magnetic field it does have is very patchy.
This could cause unforeseen side effects. It certainly would not be good for human life especially over periods of time.
Low gravity also caused negative side effects, it messes with your bones and blood and shit.
Plus, Mar's atmosphere is 95% CO2, it has very little oxygen and it's whole atmosphere is pretty thin anyway which poses another threat of increased risk from asteroids. So where are you going to get oxygen from? And water. Humans use a shit ton of water, so you need a shit ton of it.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
Yea! KC is a lying douche! he promised me choc-chip cookies and all I got was raisin.. RAISIN!!