Will religion ever be a non issue?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Will religion ever be a non issue?
Do you think religion will ever be something that just isn't spoken about anymore? Or will we always have to have this conversation?

Much like the idea of homosexuality. That was seen as a bad thing but then they started speaking out and are slowly being treated more as equals in more countries. And hopefully in the future we won't need LGBT groups or anything of the sort because its not something to be scrutinized because its just seen as stupid to do so. Much like black people being the victims of racism but now a days, although its less common but still there to all races, it's more of a non issue.

Do you think that will happen to atheism? Eventually we'll stop having to promote free thinking because its just the natural thing to do. Or we won't have to emphasise the value of critical thinking because it's already seen as a good thing.

I bring this up partly because I feel like I'm becoming really apathetic towards the issue of god. I've had enough of people still re using the same horrible arguments then refusing to listen when a response is made. or insulting other people just because it's seen as the good thing to do. Even apologetics is getting annoying. Even though it requires a bit more thinking to get to the bottom of it, it's tedious. I still can't see any proof for it.

If you do think it might, how do you think it'll happen? Everyone atheist? Conclusive proof of god? or just complete separation of church and state?

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2012, 06:26 PM
RE: Will religion ever be a non issue?
Religion still exists 20,000 years from now according to Dune. Smile

I remember reading Dune when I was in high school and I remember thinking that if Jesus didn't return before another 20,000 years went by, how many people would still believe?
Of course, at that time, I thought that I would still believe, no matter how long it took for his return. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
28-04-2012, 06:48 PM
It really seems impossible to see any issue ever becoming a non-issue. Is the horoscope still in the newspaper? Do people still live their lives revolving around astrology, despite how far we've come in the age of enlightenment?

But I think you're right... even though we never reach the point of being "right", we're always moving towards being "less wrong", and I don't see why religion will be an exception.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Religion will continue to be a problem as long as humans exist. I can guarantee this.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
28-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I vote that it will no longer be a problem due to God revealing himself beginning sometime in the next year.

Gary
28-04-2012, 07:30 PM
(28-04-2012 07:28 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  I vote that it will no longer be a problem due to God revealing himself beginning sometime in the next year.

Gary
I tried that awhile ago....I didn't really work.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
28-04-2012, 07:58 PM
(28-04-2012 06:22 PM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  Do you think religion will ever be something that just isn't spoken about anymore? Or will we always have to have this conversation?

Much like the idea of homosexuality. That was seen as a bad thing but then they started speaking out and are slowly being treated more as equals in more countries. And hopefully in the future we won't need LGBT groups or anything of the sort because its not something to be scrutinized because its just seen as stupid to do so. Much like black people being the victims of racism but now a days, although its less common but still there to all races, it's more of a non issue.

Do you think that will happen to atheism? Eventually we'll stop having to promote free thinking because its just the natural thing to do. Or we won't have to emphasise the value of critical thinking because it's already seen as a good thing.

I bring this up partly because I feel like I'm becoming really apathetic towards the issue of god. I've had enough of people still re using the same horrible arguments then refusing to listen when a response is made. or insulting other people just because it's seen as the good thing to do. Even apologetics is getting annoying. Even though it requires a bit more thinking to get to the bottom of it, it's tedious. I still can't see any proof for it.

If you do think it might, how do you think it'll happen? Everyone atheist? Conclusive proof of god? or just complete separation of church and state?
According to the secularity hypothesis , the tide will turn around 2038, just seven years before artificial intelligence takes its place at the top of the consciousness tree.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
28-04-2012, 08:02 PM
(28-04-2012 07:30 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  
(28-04-2012 07:28 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  I vote that it will no longer be a problem due to God revealing himself beginning sometime in the next year.

Gary
I tried that awhile ago....I didn't really work.
tried what?
28-04-2012, 08:03 PM
One can only pray religion will be a non-issue.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
28-04-2012, 08:08 PM
(28-04-2012 08:03 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  One can only pray religion will be a non-issue.
Thank you, that one made me laugh and I needed it.

Gary