Will the next world war be over water?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2015, 04:51 PM
RE: Will the next world war be over water?
(28-05-2015 03:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  New England is a little dry so far - about 4 to 6 inches below normal precipitation.

I've got a well 307 ft. deep. The water is unbelievably cold and tasty. Smile

That is deep.....

I drove one a couple years ago -- hit solid flow at 52 feet......

Rusty, but decent --- a Britta filter and you've got great drinking water.....

Too bad about the rust in the toilet though....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2015, 05:21 PM
No water worries here in Ireland, we have more than our fair share of rain. The worst case scenario would be if the barley crop failed. We'd have plenty of water, but without barley we would be unable to brew Guinness! Gasp

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
28-05-2015, 05:26 PM
(28-05-2015 05:21 PM)Marozz Wrote:  No water worries here in Ireland, we have more than our fair share of rain. The worst case scenario would be if the barley crop failed. We'd have plenty of water, but without barley we would be unable to brew Guinness! Gasp

Now that would be a sign of the apocalypse.
Gasp

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
28-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Ground zero in this war is going to be the Southwest. Many decades ago, the feds forced the "Colorado River Compact" on us. It tells us that California, Arizona, and Nevada are entitled to "X" amount of water from the Colorado River. There is not enough water in the entire Colorado River to satisfy California's entitlement alone. California, Nevada, and Arizona are desert states that have been converted into agricultural states, golf courses, and private swimming pools by the Colorado River. Now that river is drying up and it's making those downstream water wasters surly.

The west, and particularly the desert southwest, does not have the water to support the lifestyles of the people. Things are going to have to go and I suspect it will be swimming pools and golf courses first, and then green lawns and gardens, and agriculture will be down the list. Nevertheless, water shortages will cut into agriculture eventually. California can help itself by building desalinization plants for seawater but right now, it costs about $2K to desalinate an acre foot of sea water and it is only going to get more expensive. We really need to waive goodbye to the southwest and let it go back to the immense desert nature intended it to be.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
28-05-2015, 05:28 PM
(28-05-2015 05:21 PM)Marozz Wrote:  without barley we would be unable to brew Guinness! Gasp

No Guiness!?

"Find a happy place...find a happy place...find a happy place..." Sadcryface

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
28-05-2015, 06:42 PM
(28-05-2015 01:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  With many people facing drought - is it possible the next big war will be over the rights to water??

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2...terror-war

If so -- here in Michigan we're sitting on ground zero for the big war......

And I've got my own well.......

How's the water situation where you live???

I don't believe the next world war will be over water, but make no mistake, our future holds a great number of coming Water Wars if we can't somehow manage to get a handle on shit.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-05-2015, 06:46 PM
I can scoop some out of the yard as a peace offering.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
28-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Nah.
IF (key word) it was to happen IMO it would most likely happen as China rises and America falls further. China will expand its influence and America will get pissed off because it no longer has free reign to do what it wants.
American will make stupid claims such as China wanting to expand its influence (which while true is nothing the Yanks haven't been doing since the end of WW2) and that'll probably be what the war would be over. "containment" which is just a fancy word for "we can't do what we want now".

A perfect example of this is exactly what is happening in the South China Sea right now. China is expanding its influence, even building a strategic island, and the Americans are throwing out all sorts of hypocritical statements.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
28-05-2015, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2015 05:44 AM by yakherder.)
Hell some places are already fighting for anticipated strategic locations. Controlling the water coming down from the Himalayas is a significant factor in China's interest in Tibet. India has been complaining about the way they're damming up rivers that is affecting their water supply.

And drinking water is transportable. This is going to be more about useable farmland. We (the U.S.) have been taking measures to control the global grain market for years, again in anticipation for what is to come.

It's hard to predict exactly how everything will play out, but this thing is already underway. We can't necessarily predict that there will be a "World War *," but there will definitely be wars. Blood is already being spilled over the watersheds.

Nothing new. Civilization is defined by its dependence on scarce resources. Those who control the resources call the shots. Those who don't pick an ally beg for scraps while complaining in vain about how greedy the governments and the corporations are.

'Murican Canadian
29-05-2015, 05:30 AM
I have a well and a lake in my backyard. No shortages for me.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost