Will the world in the 21st century resemble the Middle Ages?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:The Coming Middle Ages

The middle of the 21st century will resemble nothing so much as the Middle Ages of the 5th to 15th centuries, from the sacking of Rome by the Visigoths, in 410, to the fall of Constantinople, in 1453. This was a long and uncertain period and thus an ideal metaphor to characterize our times. It was an age of plagues and progress, commercial revolutions, expanding empires, crusades, city-states, merchants, and universities. It was multipolar, with expanding empires on the Eurasian landmass, and apolar, with no one global leader. The new Middle Ages—synonymous with the age of globalization—have already begun.

First let us take the empires. Charlemagne’s efforts to resurrect the Roman Empire have been succeeded, over a millennium later, by the multipronged armadas of Brussels Eurocrats steadily colonizing Europe’s periphery, in the Baltics, the Balkans, and, eventually, Anatolia and the Caucasus. The Eurocrats’ book is not the Bible but rather the acquis communautaire: the 31 chapters of the Lex Europea, which is rebuilding EU member states from the inside out. By 2040, even depopulated Russia, with any luck, will be an EU member and the West’s front line against the far more populous East.

CONTINUES

Very interesting, and if you have the slightest interest in history and modern politics you should read this.

I think it is correct in many ways. Cities are becoming more and more important rather than nation-states (who obviously are still very important), akin to what it was like in the Middle Ages (the Hanseatic League was formed by cities, not kingdoms). It's also true that the modern world is shaped by powers of different natures, like countries and corporations and religious institutions, akin to the Middle Ages. The world is also getting multi-polar.

However, I don't think we will see any equivalent to the Mongols. Until the advent of gunpowder Eurasian nomads were militarily superior to settled peoples but often disunited and squabbling with each other. Under strong leaders like Attila or Genghis Khan they could pose a very serious threat to settled peoples. There is no such situation today. And I don't think a modern version of the Hanseatic League will form by important cities of today. Nation-states are simply not that weak, at least not in the Western world.

Edit: The forum apparently won't let me put the link where I intended, so here it is: http://www.paragkhanna.com/?p=138

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2013, 04:33 PM
RE: Will the world in the 21st century resemble the Middle Ages?
Cities have always been important. Political policies have always been shaped by countries, corporations, and religious institutions. What do you mean by "multi-polar"?

The world is becoming globalized, with different economies become entirely dependent on each other. Globalization has never occurred before, so this is an entirely new scenario.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
20-07-2013, 04:42 PM
(20-07-2013 04:33 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Cities have always been important. Political policies have always been shaped by countries, corporations, and religious institutions. What do you mean by "multi-polar"?

The world is becoming globalized, with different economies become entirely dependent on each other. Globalization has never occurred before, so this is an entirely new scenario.

That's the next step up after Bi-polar.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
20-07-2013, 04:46 PM
(20-07-2013 04:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  That's the next step up after Bi-polar.

I am asking what he means by "polar". Ideologically polarized? Politically polarized? Economically polarized? Socially polarized? If so, how?

Poonjab
20-07-2013, 04:48 PM
(20-07-2013 04:46 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(20-07-2013 04:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  That's the next step up after Bi-polar.

I am asking what he means by "polar". Ideologically polarized? Politically polarized? Economically polarized? Socially polarized? If so, how?

It sounds like you've answered your own question. Chase

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
20-07-2013, 04:50 PM
(20-07-2013 04:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It sounds like you've answered your own question. Chase

No, I simply ran through the possibilities relating to this thread. I have no idea what Loki means.

Poonjab
20-07-2013, 04:51 PM
(20-07-2013 04:50 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(20-07-2013 04:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It sounds like you've answered your own question. Chase

No, I simply ran through the possibilities relating to this thread. I have no idea what Loki means.

It's the name of a Norse god. I'm surprised you didn't know what it meant.

20-07-2013, 04:53 PM
(20-07-2013 04:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It's the name of a Norse god. I'm surprised you didn't know what it meant.

Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
22-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Erxie be trollin'.

[Image: giphy.gif]
23-07-2013, 04:00 AM
I imagine that much of Antarctica will look very much the same as it did in the middle ages, just less of it. I didn't read the full article, but if that wasn't the main focus then they did it wrong. Also, I predict the Pope may be poisoned again. Big Grin

Now, how many concubines should we be allowed in the 21st century?