Will this be the first end of religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2012, 07:17 PM
RE: Will this be the first end of religion?
The beginnings were long ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_atheism
A few :free thinkers in Ancient Greece denied the gods.
In the Medieval period there were a few "free thinkers" who challenged the church.
I see the Enlightenment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment ) , as the beginning of a broader shift, and with the origins of the scientific method, (which may have come up from Islam from Africa into Spain ??) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_in_...amic_world , was the real beginnings of the end.
It's all about science, and a shift to the Scientific Paradigm, and basing what is seen as "what is true", on evidence.
With the parabolic, (geometric) increase in human knowledge, (it doubles every 10 years), we see it as advancing faster and faster. I see evidence for this in the fact that in Europe, (in better educated cultures), the business of religion is a thing of the past. Living in the US we don't "get" how shockingly ignorant we are seen by Europeans, especially the Northern Europeans.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-11-2012, 07:21 PM
The masses are sheep.

Hence allow me to introduce you to my friend exponential graph.

[Image: exp1.gif]

This is how I think it will take off, very very very slowly at first and then like a tiny snow ball rolling down a hill it will very quickly get much much bigger.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Religion will be with humanity until the end of our days I'm afraid. If people beleive in things that have been disproven, then something that cannot be disproven will always have at least some adherents. I just hope that one day being irreligion will not be taboo....that and religious dogma will NOT affect our laws.

08-11-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm with Dom. Islam is the one that will take centuries...
08-11-2012, 07:42 PM
(08-11-2012 07:31 PM)Tigu Wrote:  I'm with Dom. Islam is the one that will take centuries...

or a nuke or two... Angel

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
08-11-2012, 07:54 PM
To some degree, I don't really give a shit whether or not religion dies out. Quite frankly, I don't think it ever will entirely die out, and I'm all for diversification of beliefs, as long as people act logically outside those beliefs. What I do care about though, is for the fundamentalists to be rightfully marginalized out of mainstream politics in ALL countries. This is already happening in Europe and other Western countries, and this will probably be the road to it in the US (the rest of the world is in various stages, some further ahead than others). It depends on how fast the Republican party either collapses on its unstable basis, or an unrepairable split occurs between the moderates who will retake the party and the marginalized, increasingly radical conservatives will start up their own, rightfully fringe, party. Likewise, I would also like to see religious fanaticism in general to start inhabiting the extreme edges of minority fringe in all societies.

[Image: giphy.gif]
08-11-2012, 07:59 PM
If T.S. doesn't mind me taking the liberty to revise his words a tad:

This is the way religion endsThis is the way religion endsThis is the way religion endsNot with a bang but a whimper.

And then there is also this:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christianity is a Secularist religion. Deltabravo 21 337 Yesterday 07:27 AM
Last Post: Ace
  The "need" for religion. john2 18 269 12-07-2014 11:33 AM
Last Post: childeye
  Is it wrong to hate religion? CleverUsername 66 1,144 07-07-2014 02:29 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Is Christianity really a monotheistic religion according to the Bible? Lunda 8 148 06-07-2014 06:34 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Religion flowchart? smileXsmileXsmile 7 255 04-07-2014 12:48 AM
Last Post: elraymonds
  The Worst Religion is Islam? Dark Light 54 880 28-06-2014 11:57 AM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  Religion without supernatural phenomena flim-flam 43 551 25-06-2014 11:56 AM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird