Will this be the first end of religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2012, 04:52 PM
OK, I have perhaps attempted to hook with a mildly sensationalist title. Apologies.

I'm curious to find everyone's opinion here on a couple ideas.

1) Do you believe we may be witnessing the beginning of the end of religion. Granted, the end itself may not be seen by any of us within our lifetimes. I find that unlikely. I also assume the religion will likely linger in many forms for many generations to come. I am referring to its current level of influence and relevance waning the level that, say, Roman Paganism has reached today.

2) If you agree that this may be the beginning of the end, will it be the first time mankind has seen religion give way largely to atheism? Or has this happened at some time in the past?

I'm no academic, historian or anthropologist. And I am unaware of the details of the "death" of prior belief systems. But it seems to me that most in the past, rather than die off completely, have simply either merged with another culture's belief system, or been replaced by one. Or am I completely mistaken here?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2012, 05:00 PM
RE: Will this be the first end of religion?
I think atheism will get bigger, but I also think people want to believe in both religion and woo, and people will continue to do so. Many people build their worldview on emotions and fantasy, not reality, and that probably won't change much. And people will continue to bend reality to fit their preconceived notions, rather than building their worldview from observations of reality.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2012, 05:04 PM
I think the louder the crazies shout and the more Moral Molesting that happens it will be greatly marginalized.
It will never go away, too much money in woo and it makes the weak minded feel special.
D
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
08-11-2012, 05:26 PM
I, being the optimist that I am, would like to think so, but I just don't know. People aren't too readily jumping off of the bandwagon of religion. I feel like the end of religion is somewhat inevitable, but in my country....I just don't see it happening in the near future.

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
08-11-2012, 05:28 PM
In the USA, probably. In Europe, it has already started.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
08-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Science took gigantic strides forward in the fields of biology, anthropology and astronomy in the last 20 years alone, and will only continue to increase in influence. Religion on the other hand, languished in perpetual ignorance, as it has for the past several millenia. I believe there will come a time - maybe not soon, but eventually - when organized religion is a thing of the past.
[+] 1 user Likes thirdangletheory's post
08-11-2012, 05:54 PM
At what point/event did this beginning occur? I am confused? Did something happen?

Anyways, religion will almost certainly never completely die out.
[+] 1 user Likes Diablo666's post
08-11-2012, 05:57 PM
As long as those with influence and power subscribe to religion, it will remain a part of almost every culture. Scary, given how some are determined to die for theirreligion, and how well funded and powerful some are.
[+] 1 user Likes Tigu's post
08-11-2012, 06:35 PM
(08-11-2012 05:54 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  At what point/event did this beginning occur? I am confused? Did something happen?

Good question. It seems the concept that religion's decline is happening is either more popular today or just more talked about. I guess that would be another point for discussion.

(08-11-2012 05:54 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Anyways, religion will almost certainly never completely die out.

I agree insomuch as Latin has not completely died. But Latin's relevance to modern culture has been marginalized dramatically since the time of The Roman Empire. Hasn't it? I'm suggesting a time when religion has been marginalized to the same degree.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
08-11-2012, 06:44 PM
I think atheism may marginalize christianity in a generation or two.

But I don't think Islam will fall as rapidly...

And no, religion will never die out. It's a drug. That's why I say it will be marginalized and practiced by the minority.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christianity is a Secularist religion. Deltabravo 45 615 26-07-2014 12:56 PM
Last Post: Chas
  This Is How British Atheist Comedians Take-The-Piss Out Of Religion! Ace 2 102 25-07-2014 10:45 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
  The "need" for religion. john2 18 280 12-07-2014 11:33 AM
Last Post: childeye
  Is it wrong to hate religion? CleverUsername 66 1,172 07-07-2014 02:29 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Is Christianity really a monotheistic religion according to the Bible? Lunda 8 159 06-07-2014 06:34 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Religion flowchart? smileXsmileXsmile 7 277 04-07-2014 12:48 AM
Last Post: elraymonds
  The Worst Religion is Islam? Dark Light 54 908 28-06-2014 11:57 AM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid