Will we need laws on reproduction in the future?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Will we need laws on reproduction in the future?
We've approached a point in humanity's timeline where our our ability to preserve has surpassed our tendency to destroy. Our instinctual method of reducing our numbers (war), has been outmatched by our scientific and medical technology. We can now keep people alive and healthy for longer than ever before (unless you count the multiple century ages of the inhabitants of the Bible).

Our world population grows daily, and barring a global plague or catastrophe of some kind, it seems likely that at some point we will be on the verge of global overpopulation, in which case, will we have to enforce laws on the number of children you can have? Similar to China's One Child Policy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy

And if so, won't this directly contradict God's order to "be fruitful and multiply" and his stance on contraceptives? Will Christians have to choose between God's laws and the laws of the government?

I got this idea after listening to a piece on new "Transhumanism" technology. A Christian radio show was saying that we are born with sin and natural flaws and shouldn't try to play god and fix these things. Supposedly, we will eventually be able to capture the essence of a brain; thoughts, memories, behaviors... onto a computer of sorts, and then transfer that essence into another body so that you would still be the same person in a new cloned body. (Similar to the movie The 6th Day... with Arnold Schwarzenegger) If this could actually happen, we would essentially become immortal and the world's population would overflow.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2011, 11:13 PM
RE: Will we need laws on reproduction in the future?
I think that the time to have reproduction laws has been here for a while. The problems in putting them into practice may be insurmountable. First, who decides who gets to reproduce and who doesn't? Second, how do you deal with those who reproduce without consent? Third, is it possible to make a system that is fair? Forth, you would need to ban reprodution without banning sex, which would be extremely contraversial in many areas. This is just what I can come up with in a couple of minutes. so I know that there are a lot more issues to deal with.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
09-05-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm not sure if I remember this correctly but I think there was a Reuters article with a Chinese official who said that by 2015-2020 or something like that , the policy would be useless and would have to be abandoned.
But yeah , putting such a policy in practice may be disastrous. I think eugenics proved this beyond a doubt. I'm not sure what the solution might be.

As for that Christian radio host , I'm curios , if he had a bad heart , would he replace it or die ? We can grow new organs in a lab (at prototype level).
If he had a disease from childhood and the cure suddenly became available , would he take it ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
09-05-2011, 05:01 AM
I believe China has already abandoned and it has had a lot of unintended (but not unpredicted) consequences. One of the results of the China policy was that they have an over abundance of boys. Girls are not valued in Chinese society and in a lot of rural areas parents who gave birth to a girl would kill the baby and try again. Or, they gave them up for adoption to western countries. The result is that there are far more boys than girls in China and a lot of these guys are never going to get married, or have dates, or even get laid.

I read an article not that long ago that talked about the rise of China and while the article mostly focused on their rise as an economic power, the point was made that when you have a nation of a couple of billion of people where a lot of them are hard-up males with no women around, that's a pretty good formula for some serious militarism. We already had another thread on this effect and, if this theory is true, then our over population problem may somewhat solve itself, at least in the short term, because we could have one doozy of a war brewing in the next decade or so.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-05-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm glad you've brought this up, since this is something i've been thinking about a lot.

Overpopulation is probably one of the biggest, yet ignored (in the western society), problems there is at the moment. I think China should be praised for the one child policy since they were apparently the only ones that saw overpopulation as a threat. Before you know it human rights activists scream at China for being unethical, while China's population was stagnated and they actually succeeded (i'm not saying the law's all that good, but they did achieve their goal for a moment).

I think every possible solution against overpopulation is unethical. Personally i've thought about making every mother infertile after each first born (i don't want to sound like a total jerk with this, it's only an idea).

Also if we find a cure against these terrible diseases like: AIDS, cancer,... they will no longer keep our numbers down.

When overpopulation is globally acknowledged as a problem, it will probably be too late. And when it's too late the quickest and most efficient ways to deal with it will be simply by lowering our numbers through genocide and euthanasia.

This concept fits with the story of this movie: "How to get rid of the others", I wonder if anyone else has seen it? It's a dystopian political satire that describes how a new law has been enforced that people who never contributed to society will be eliminated. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478365/

Anyway we should either find a decent way to stagnate our numbers or we should be prepared to decrease them when it's too late.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Education and equal rights brotha, there's a pretty big tie between the amount of children a woman has and her level of education and work. Here in Canada our population is dwindling because women are working and going to post-secondary education, we are relying on immigration to keep our population from dipping too low. Meanwhile, in India, women aren't doing much of anything and have multiple children.

Russia's population is sinking too, last I read about it. In Canada and the US the people with the biggest families are often the poor, there is a fairly direct correlation between a woman's level of education and the amount of children she has (also how old she'd be when she had them). Besides, once the baby boomers die off the west will experience a massive drop in population, they are the biggest surviving generation right now after all.

09-05-2011, 09:30 AM
The human race is experiencing a period of reverse Darwinism right now. The people least equipped to have children and raise them to be educated and productive members of society are having the most children whereas the people who value education are having fewer and fewer kids.

Like I said above: the over population problem is going to sole itself at some point, hopefully not in my lifetime, though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-05-2011, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2011 03:08 PM by Buddy Christ.)
We are but a few short years away from the prophecy being fulfilled:

[Image: idiocracy_foodpyramid_big.jpg]

[Image: camacho-for-president-idiocracy-t-shirt-...-3.jpg.gif]

[Image: president-camancho-idiocracy.jpg]

[Image: Idiocracy.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
09-05-2011, 09:07 PM
LOL - yeah , Idiocaracy is a prophecy being fulfilled.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
10-05-2011, 03:11 PM
At some point in the future, I foresee having to put your name on a wait list to have kids, and when someone dies, then the next person can give birth. And as with any law, a black market will emerge, offering to birth your child for you and make up all the official documents that says he was born legally. I feel like this should be a movie.