William Lane Craig

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2010, 06:28 PM

William Lane Craig
I don't know much about this guy, so I turn to you for help. Is this guy another insane Christian, and if so, how so?
Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2010, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2010 07:51 AM by TheSixthGlass.)
RE: William Lane Craig
William Lane Craig is a "respected" (within the Christian community, at least) Christian apologist, supposed philosopher, and theologian.

He is well spoken (though I hate his voice and delivery), fairly intelligent and uses lots of science-y type stuff in his apologetics and debates. But he is a Christian apologist, and therefore often (if not always) commits logical fallacies left and right, often taking certain things for granted (like the existence of God), and is either misleading or dishonest in many of his writings and speeches. He apparently accepts an old Earth, but cites the Big Bang as scientific proof that the universe had a beginning, and the cause of that beginning must therefore be a timeless, non-physical, intelligent, and personal God. He also apparently accepts the scientific theory of evolution, but cites it as so improbable that it must be a miracle from God.

He is a very good debater and has lots of practice in formal debates. You can find many of them on youtube. You'll find he uses many of the same arguments over and over, particularly the Kalam cosmological argument. What's funny to me though is that in almost all of his debates, he actually only seems to be arguing for the deist's case for a god.

I don't think he's insane - he's very good at what he does, which is giving believers plausible reasons to keep their belief. His arguments are quite old and often refuted, but he's good enough at debate and sounds intelligent enough to just keep on going through them with the appearance of victory.

edit: Also, just to clarify - I think he's a moron. But I wouldn't want to debate him. Ha!

Coincidentally, one of my subscribed channels on youtube recently did a video on Craig and it's quite interesting. http://www.youtube.com/user/ProfMTH#p/u/0/FcjcVF_8s8Y

Another one of the users I follow has a series he's doing on Craig that you might also find interesting. It's called "William Lane Craig Is Not..." Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/user/theowarner#g...C0D8606D74

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2010, 08:42 PM
RE: William Lane Craig
He's a moron. He's just very, very good at bullshitting convincingly.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply