RE: Wind farm reduces hurricanes?
new turbine design- twice as efficient?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2014, 12:14 PM
(05-03-2014 11:43 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 11:25 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I think one of the articles I read today...the SA?? article?? .....mentioned the work one of these guys is working on that has a plan to power everyone with renewables. I guess he has it all mapped out Smile I think its something to do with mapping the jet stream, etc and putting the turbines there, and a variety of other things. I will dig around to see if I can find it later, I have some other things I need to do at the moment.

Can it be done? Sure. We could expand the national grid capacity so that power from Nevada could be diverted to North Dakota, to deal with long lasting weather events. Numerous storage mechanisms could be used, including hydrolysis of sea water to produce and compress hydrogen for night time use, which then also produces fresh water as a byproduct - killing two environmental birds with one stone.

Does all this make economic sense? ...hard to say. Presently, the environmental costs of oil and coal are heavily socialized, which makes it difficult to make a fair economic comparison.

Bows: Thanks. I'd be very interested in reading about that. I get a bit giddy every time someone figures out a workable solution to a shortcoming of renewables.

Toad: Again, we're dealing with engineering/logistics nightmares that have no good solutions currently. In order to transfer power from Nevada to North Dakota, you'd need directly connected high voltage lines from point to point. Most of the lines that connect vast distances are neither direct nor high voltage. I.E. If you wanted to transmit from NV to ND right now, you might be able to find a path, but it would be through several smaller grids and would be anything but direct. By the time you got the energy to ND, you'd lose so much of it it wouldn't be worth doing. And that's assuming it didn't overload any of the local grids along the way.

That said. We NEED to upgrade our grid nationwide. Even if we were to continue using conventional power stations, the grid vulnerable and flaky. Several years back, a single substation blew up near where I live. It took down most of the northeastern USA with it in a cascade failure. This should never happen. We should focus a lot of money and time into a more robust "smart grid" that has the capability to handle the variability that comes with wind and solar. Even with local storage technologies, our current grid would implode.

When I worked for an environmental NGO, we lobbied like hell to get more funding pushed into upgrading the grid to no avail. It's very difficult to convince scientifically illiterate people of things that are not flagrantly obvious. They look around and think "well my power is always on and my lights don't flicker, so you must be mistaken"

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
05-03-2014, 12:29 PM
This is the guy quoted in the SA article I posted earlier.

11 minutes

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
05-03-2014, 12:32 PM
(05-03-2014 11:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  new turbine design- twice as efficient?

mmmm, I dunno about that one.

I am HIGHLY skeptical that they have overcome Bet'z Law. It is a very well understood principle of all newtonian fluids. So unless they redesigned air, I'm calling shenanigans. (as have several other people)

"extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." and they have been mum on all but the most generic details. I'll believe it when I see one producing energy commercially.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post