Window Insulation Products

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Window Insulation Products
So it gets fucking cold here and this house has no insulation whatsoever. The landlord controls the heating, which will be on at certain hours in the morning and evening and off most of the day. So usually the inside of the house is as cold as the outside in winter unless you spend a horrendous amount of money by using the electrical heating.
So this year I thought about those insulating things that you put on your window. This film. But you know you cannot trust the reviews on Amazon. Most of them are bought so I don't even read them at all.

I was looking at the Tesa Insulating film, which looks promising but flimsy... kinda.
Not sure.
Does anybody here have some experience with this kind of stuff?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2016, 05:45 PM
RE: Window Insulation Products
thermal blankets. Roman shades. those are the kind of things we have used.
09-10-2016, 05:54 PM
I think the film mostly helps if you have drafts coming in. It really doesn't insulate.
09-10-2016, 06:28 PM
(09-10-2016 05:54 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think the film mostly helps if you have drafts coming in. It really doesn't insulate.

It stops drafts and provides something of an air pocket, poor man's double-pane window. It may not help if your windows are tight, but it won't hurt. Get help when you're installing it, two people can get it on the double-stick tape better than one. And you'll need a hair dryer to shrink it, borrow one for a while if you don't want to buy one.

If' you're going to be there more than one winter, consider using Plexiglas instead of film. You can tape it in place and remove it in the Spring. Get the folks at Home Depot or Lowes to cut it to size. Inside the frame is best.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user