Windows 10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Windows 10
Anyone using windows 10 yet?

Couldn't find a thread on this yet, so if this is the first I will start this here.

For those still unaware of windows 10, Microsoft has decided for the first year that it is released, that anyone with windows 7, 8, or 8.1 or anything else that came after 7 can upgrade to windows 10 for free. Windows 10 has many of the best features from both 7 and 8. Such as a hybrid between a much more well designed start button and my personal favorite from windows 8 that everyone else hated- the metro page thing which is now integrated with the start menu for really super fast and easy one click applications for all my favorite PC games and most frequently used programs. Another neat feature it has is the Snap feature which is extremely useful and a button on the task bar that snaps everything you have open in plain view on your task bar. Basically it removes everything from your desktop and shrinks everything you have open and shows you all the folders and stuff you have open so you can look over everything and when you make a selection, everything goes back to normal but with you now looking at the item you selected. Quite handy if you have multiple folders or certain things open or need to look at multiple things at once.

Of course one of the most fun features IMO is CORTANA! Now windows users and any windows phone users has their own Siri! Oh...and apparently Siri and Cortana know each other and are friends or something. We have a really fun digital assistant that can open files, music by genre, song title, artist or identify songs for us. I have had two songs I have had for since Kazaa and WinMx was still around and not super illegal and being cracked down on. One is a piano song that claimed it was the dragonball AF theme which is an extremely impressive piano song I have never been able to identify, another was a partial song which I only had 6 seconds of that I have kept for some odd reason. Cortana identified the short one but still the DBAF track alludes me to this day to who the artist and name of the song is. Anyway, the assistant can set reminders for important stuff and search the web for you etc.

GIF'S now work on windows 10. Windows 8 couldn't play them at all.

There is a new edge browser which I have yet to use but I hear it is suppose to be a lot better then explorer ever was....even though explorer is still in the system for legacy reasons.

There is a neat looking action center. I never used it before but some people may like it.

I never use apps, but they are making a fuss about them being "revamped"....whatever that word means exactly.

They have an Xbox app which has something to do with seeing your xbox friends activity and other stuff. I guess your computer can somehow become another xbox one.....whatever that means.

There are also options for the windows system to revert to a more touch screen based option as well for those who use it with certain devices or get a touch monitor or something.

It also comes with much more unified settings, also connecting your T.V and the computer is much easier to figure out now. So that is a good bonus.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2015, 03:26 PM
RE: Windows 10
The Xbox app is great. If my son is playing Xbox on the TV and I want to watch something I can just click a button on the Xbox app and he can carry on playing it on the PC Monitor while I watch TV
10-08-2015, 03:35 PM
There was one here

Ill repeat the post I made there here.

I personally love Windows 10. Its a bit slow but seeing how my laptop has been around since 2007 it does not surprise me. Recently updated my graphics card driver to a Windows 10 version and it helped a lot. Cortana is so fun to use, if you ever need an alarm or reminded of something or need to convert measurements, or look up the weather on the fly you can. Since my Skype account is linked to my Microsoft Account, it automatically added birthdays of all my skype contacts into my calendar. Built in virtual desktops is amazing, if I want to listen to a playlist of music on youtube I can open it up start playing and throw it onto a different desktop so the window will not get in the way of what I am doing. I have mail set up to my Gmail account and notifications set so a notification will pop up if I get a new email. Same with the Facebook app, will get a notification instantly if someone messages me, posts to my wall etc.

A cool feature, at least in my opinion, is the ability to set a PIN as your password instead of an actual password. Easy to remember while keeping you secure. Obviously it is not perfect yet because it's new but I am not regretting doing the upgrade.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
10-08-2015, 03:46 PM
(10-08-2015 03:35 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Built in virtual desktops is amazing, if I want to listen to a playlist of music on youtube I can open it up start playing and throw it onto a different desktop so the window will not get in the way of what I am doing.

But... Why not just minimise the window or tab?

As for myself... I'm not going to get it until I have an extra harddrive I can dump it into first, so i can play around with it and not risk my 7, in case it turns out to be as shite as it looks.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
10-08-2015, 03:49 PM
(10-08-2015 03:35 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  A cool feature, at least in my opinion, is the ability to set a PIN as your password instead of an actual password.

What is the distinction between a PIN and a password (particularly one that is all numbers)?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-08-2015, 04:10 PM
(10-08-2015 03:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 03:35 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Built in virtual desktops is amazing, if I want to listen to a playlist of music on youtube I can open it up start playing and throw it onto a different desktop so the window will not get in the way of what I am doing.

But... Why not just minimise the window or tab?

As for myself... I'm not going to get it until I have an extra harddrive I can dump it into first, so i can play around with it and not risk my 7, in case it turns out to be as shite as it looks.

It can be used for more than that. I actually had a game freeze on me, opened task manager but could not get task manager to work because it was freezing too, was able to open a new desktop and because the game was not running on that desktop it was not frozen so I could open task manager again and actually use it to close the game.

(10-08-2015 03:49 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 03:35 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  A cool feature, at least in my opinion, is the ability to set a PIN as your password instead of an actual password.

What is the distinction between a PIN and a password (particularly one that is all numbers)?

A PIN is usually confined to like 4 numbers whereas a password, you could use as many as you want. As I said in my post its just in my opinion easier to remember than a password, you do not have to use a pin, you can use a password, you can use an image password which allows you to use certain finger swipes on an image or with the right equipment you could use Windows Hello for fingerprint, face, or eye recognition.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
11-08-2015, 01:49 AM
Never mind Windows 10... This is the operating system you should be using. I cannot promote this enough.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0907/jesOS.html
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
11-08-2015, 04:17 AM
(11-08-2015 01:49 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Never mind Windows 10... This is the operating system you should be using. I cannot promote this enough.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0907/jesOS.html

Seems not, as soon as I clicked your link my power went out for about 2 hours lol no joke.

11-08-2015, 05:03 AM
Your not worthy to use the software lol
11-08-2015, 05:04 AM
(11-08-2015 05:03 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Your not worthy to use the software lol

Lol seems so.