Windows 10; thoughts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Windows 10; thoughts?
With the revelation that Windows 10 will be released as a permanent free upgrade to 7 and 8-iteration users during its first year, I thought it might be a good time to broach the subject here on the forum:

Windows 10; what do you think?

Personally, I'm not too excited. While I'm sure it's technically superior to my beloved and old companion 7, 10 still looks like it retains a lot of the shitty aesthetic that 8 had, which frankly is my biggest turn-off here; I don't want to spend my time looking at a fugly-ass OS all day. I know, it's a minor, bitchy and worthless complaint, but a visual downgrade like that is... Just no.

Step right up and swing your bats, people.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2015, 06:13 PM
RE: Windows 10; thoughts?
They are all trying to look like tablets now, and tablets try and act like PCs, and everybody fails. Tongue

I have windows 8 and after eons of fiddling I have it running like windows seven, with the old desktop and all. So I shall move up to 10 I suppose. I don't anticipate more than a week of cursing...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Every other version seems to be crap, so.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-01-2015, 06:40 PM
(21-01-2015 06:09 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  With the revelation that Windows 10 will be released as a permanent free upgrade to 7 and 8-iteration users during its first year, I thought it might be a good time to broach the subject here on the forum:

My reaction to it was that if they'd build a UI that people wanted to use they could charge for it. This whole "make it look like an iphone" crap is ridiculous.
Drinking Beverage

By the way, how can a permanent free upgrade be good for only a year?
Consider

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
21-01-2015, 06:53 PM
(21-01-2015 06:40 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 06:09 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  With the revelation that Windows 10 will be released as a permanent free upgrade to 7 and 8-iteration users during its first year, I thought it might be a good time to broach the subject here on the forum:

My reaction to it was that if they'd build a UI that people wanted to use they could charge for it. This whole "make it look like an iphone" crap is ridiculous.
Drinking Beverage

By the way, how can a permanent free upgrade be good for only a year?
Consider

I agree the look they are going for is a dumb idea.

It's a common mistake that it'll only be good for a year, so I'll try to explain a bit better: Within the period of one year of 10's release, it will be offered as a free upgrade to all 7 and 8.x users; those who take to upgrade will have the full Win 10 permanently, whereas those who take the upgrade after the first year will have to pay, like a standard OS. Basically, in the first year; they are giving it away free.

Is that a bit better? If I'm still not getting it quite right, PC Gamer has an article addressing the concern.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-01-2015, 07:39 PM
(21-01-2015 06:09 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Step right up and swing your bats, people.

What happened to Windows 9? ... Just asking.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-01-2015, 07:42 PM
(21-01-2015 07:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What happened to Windows 9? ... Just asking.

My family likes to claim that 8.1 is 9. Of course, they are objectively wrong, but that don't stop them.

I read one article which said that the move to ignore the number 9 was a result of the 'big changes' between 8 to 10. Of course, I don't remember the article so I can't check it...

21-01-2015, 07:51 PM
(21-01-2015 07:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 06:09 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Step right up and swing your bats, people.

What happened to Windows 9? ... Just asking.

They probably foresaw all the Windows? Nein! jokes. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
21-01-2015, 07:51 PM
This is the same company that did all that crap with the Xbox and backtracked. Their marketing research department needs to be gutted. I wonder where they are going to hide the start button this time? It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to shut the computer down when I got Win 8 for my work laptop. Pure garbage.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
21-01-2015, 07:56 PM
(21-01-2015 07:51 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  This is the same company that did all that crap with the Xbox and backtracked. Their marketing research department needs to be gutted. I wonder where they are going to hide the start button this time? It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to shut the computer down when I got Win 8 for my work laptop. Pure garbage.

Actually, they have reintegrated the Start menu, back into the good-ol' bottom left position, so there's that....