Windows 10; thoughts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2015, 07:57 PM
RE: Windows 10; thoughts?
(21-01-2015 07:51 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  This is the same company that did all that crap with the Xbox and backtracked. Their marketing research department needs to be gutted. I wonder where they are going to hide the start button this time? It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to shut the computer down when I got Win 8 for my work laptop. Pure garbage.

The same thing happened to me the first time I used my Windows 8 laptop. I actually had to Google "how to shut down windows 8" like a complete jackass. Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
21-01-2015, 08:04 PM
(21-01-2015 07:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 07:51 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  This is the same company that did all that crap with the Xbox and backtracked. Their marketing research department needs to be gutted. I wonder where they are going to hide the start button this time? It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to shut the computer down when I got Win 8 for my work laptop. Pure garbage.

Actually, they have reintegrated the Start menu, back into the good-ol' bottom left position, so there's that....

They did. FOR NOW!!!!!!! Evil_monster

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
21-01-2015, 09:19 PM
(21-01-2015 07:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What happened to Windows 9? ... Just asking.

7 ate it, allegedly. Facepalm

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 7 users Like daylightisabadthing's post
22-01-2015, 05:08 AM
Been reading this. http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-wh...d-to-know/

Looks like you can decide whether you want the old desktop or the touch friendly windows 8 type. And, if you use it on different devices, it will automatically adjust. Sounds like an improvement to me overall, but we'll see. I will be getting it soon.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-01-2015, 06:00 AM
The only difference I find between todays Windows and the Windows I was brought up with, 98, 2000, xp, vista, is that todays windows doesn't have a start menu. I mean it does but it takes you to a new window and it's shit so I never use it. Instead I have a pinned icon of a folder on my taskbar that takes me to 'This PC' where I can navigate from their.
22-01-2015, 06:50 AM
I have 8.1 on my laptop. I've installed an aftermarket app that mimics the old "Start" menu and boot directly to the Win 7 desktop lookalike. I'm going to wait for a bit before I install Win 10. That whole Cortana thing sounds a lot like "Clippy" for those old enough to remember the late, unlamented "assistant."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Assistant
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-01-2015, 07:24 AM
(21-01-2015 07:57 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  

The same thing happened to me the first time I used my Windows 8 laptop. I actually had to Google "how to shut down windows 8" like a complete jackass. Dodgy

The first time I saw a "Windows 8 preview" video I was sure that it had to be a joke. Nobody could really be that stupid. I was wrong.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
22-01-2015, 07:29 AM
(22-01-2015 06:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The only difference I find between todays Windows and the Windows I was brought up with, 98, 2000, xp, vista, is that todays windows doesn't have a start menu. I mean it does but it takes you to a new window and it's shit so I never use it. Instead I have a pinned icon of a folder on my taskbar that takes me to 'This PC' where I can navigate from their.

If you unlock the taskbar and right-click you can add a new toolbar by selecting a folder. I add the start menu/programs folder and, with a little manipulation to drag the new toolbar to the left and resize it to just show the "programs >>" header I end up with most of the old start menu functionality. Add a few shortcuts for things like 'control panel' to the programs folder and it becomes almost usable.

22-01-2015, 04:50 PM
(22-01-2015 06:50 AM)dcobranchi Wrote:  That whole Cortana thing sounds a lot like "Clippy" for those old enough to remember the late, unlamented "assistant."

(link mutilated and pissed on)

No! No! No! Go to the corner. You think about what you did. And that party you were going to? Not happening.
[+] 4 users Like Clockwork's post
22-01-2015, 05:14 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873557/h...-menu.html

Quote:“We are building services everywhere, but when it comes to Windows we are not building apps, we are harmonizing experiences,”

I really wish they'd stop with all the "harmonizing experiences" and "desktop experience" and "mobile experience" and just give me some fucking apps that work and do what I need them to do. I hope most of this Cortana and Continuum and other crap can be turned off or, better yet, uninstalled.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post