Windows 7 help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Windows 7 help
FUCK

Ok that's out there.

I'm a moderate when it comes to tech. Some things in pretty good with and others not so much, but on the whole I can usually get by ok.
I have never had so many issues with an operating system as I've ha with windows 7. I'm on the last straw now and am tempted to just wipe my hard drive and go with a clean unbuntu. There are thugs holding me back though, and I'm not looking for a debate on what's Better because that won't get me anywhere. Let's just say unbuntu or Linux if you will, is not as compatible with some of my software as I'd like.

Here's my issue an it's a big one.

I recently updated my windows but it crashed mid update forcing me to hard reset. Since then I've been having many windows crashes.
I've uninstalled all updates to see if they were causing the problems but it still happened. So I tried a clean install of the new updates to see if maybe there was just an jncomplete file somewhere, but that didn't do it either.
I can't do a system restore because for some reason my computer is telling me I don't have any restore points, which is bullshit because I'm really careful about that.
I thought it might have to do with my recent chrome install (Firefox user, just needed chrome for something) so I uninstalled that too. Didn't work.
The only thing else that has changed recently has been my avast as it updated at the same time.
I wonder if that's it but nothing shows in my system logs.

I'm on the verge of smashy smashy. I fucking hate windows.
You ever try to get in contact with these people? Or use their help section that always says the same thing no matter what the problem is?
Oh and Microsoft doesn't offer any live assistance to Canadian users.
Then why sell the product in Canada?

If it weren't for my 360 I would 100% despise Microsoft.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 01:28 PM
RE: Windows 7 help
I've uninstalled avast.

Since then I've opened like five threads. Still going. Hopefully the problem lies with avast update compatibility. Somehow I doubt it though. My luck ain't that good.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
29-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Yikes man, good luck. Not sure what to suggest other than maybe going to Major Geeks and seeing if someone can help you. You'll probably need to post logs or dump files and stuff because troubleshooting something like that requires knowledge of what processes are running at the time of the crash.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
29-02-2012, 01:40 PM
It's possible another Antivirus program is clashing with avast. We had that problem years ago with Windows XP. My dad installed norton, and mcafee hadn't been uninstalled correctly, the two clashed, the computer wouldn't work right. I'm sure it had trouble installing updates.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
29-02-2012, 01:49 PM
So far it does seem like it was Avast. I've been doing all sorts of complex computery things trying to get it to crash and so far it hasn't.

I wish Ubuntu was more widely used so that more companies would make their programs compatible. But then it might not be so crash free lol. Damn you technology.

Hey anyone remember when dial up was fast?

[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
29-02-2012, 02:00 PM
So fast you could download a midi version of your favorite Nirvana song in minutes!

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
01-03-2012, 03:54 AM
Oh, the happy times of dial-up, newsgroups and BBS... Smile

Lucradis, if this was a problem with Avast, then it is sorted out, just use some other anti-virus. I use AVG, but there is plenty of others. If the problem remains, then you should reinstall the whole OS, because there could be serious problems if your comp crashes in the middle of update process. Good thing is that Win7 is pretty stable and can endure all sorts of punishment before dieing on you.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
01-03-2012, 04:05 AM
Did you discover the AV software was the culprit? Those things and video drivers can be pretty nasty when they have bugs.
01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
It was either just Avast or a combo of things. Either way the problem is gone.
I can't let my suspicions of chrome go either. It is a fast browser an all but when I used to use it as my primary it would have browser meltdowns frequently after a certain update. Looking online it was rather common and google offered no answer to the problem. Which if youre wondering ha to do with Java incompatibility.
But I also wonder since two of the updates for windows were security based, if maybe they conflicted with the update that Avast had made at the same time.
Anyways it definitely had something if not everything to do with Avast and that shit is gone, too bad too because it was fairly effective.