Winning Pascal's Wager

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2013, 07:21 AM
RE: Winning Pascal's Wager
(14-12-2013 07:02 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  It....it actually is.

Pascal concocted the wager under the assumption that Christianity is the only religion, and that the Abrahamic god would send nonbelievers to hell & believers to heaven.

Objectively, the wager *is* faulty because it fails to take anything else into consideration.

Those are things he already believed to be true. The wager is about rejecting those beliefs. It is not about adopting a new belief.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Ok, it seems like maybe there's some sort of miscommunication going on here. Everyone is on completely different wavelengths.

Are you saying that Pascal's wager was subjectively true *to him?* Because then I might understand the sides being confused. Nobody is saying anything about adopting new beliefs (or whatever that is up there.)

Objectively the wager does not hold true for anybody who is not Christian. Again, it is somewhat like a vegetarian or vegan not understanding why a lion wants to eat them. Pascal's wager only has relevance to Pascal and others like him.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
14-12-2013, 07:49 AM
(14-12-2013 07:43 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Pascal's wager only has relevance to Pascal and others like him.

This.
14-12-2013, 07:56 AM
(14-12-2013 07:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  No, that's not how the burden of proof works. Pascal never supported his premises with any evidence; that alone is enough to dismiss the argument as unsound.

Pascal never presented this argument. It was published after he died by other people. These were his personal thoughts relevant to him. He had no burden of proof to satisfy except to himself.
14-12-2013, 08:09 AM
(14-12-2013 07:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Pascal never presented this argument. It was published after he died by other people. These were his personal thoughts relevant to him. He had no burden of proof to satisfy except to himself.
And that is why theists should not be using it in debates. It's a flawed argument that has been debunked a thousand times by now.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
14-12-2013, 08:21 AM
(14-12-2013 08:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 07:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Pascal never presented this argument. It was published after he died by other people. These were his personal thoughts relevant to him. He had no burden of proof to satisfy except to himself.
And that is why theists should not be using it in debates. It's a flawed argument that has been debunked a thousand times by now.

Re-read the first post in this thread. Its purpose was to make Pascal "spin in his grave". It had nothing to do with theists using it in a debate.
14-12-2013, 08:25 AM
(14-12-2013 08:21 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Re-read the first post in this thread. Its purpose was to make Pascal "spin in his grave". It had nothing to do with theists using it in a debate.
What is it with you and your inability to address what people actually say?

At no point did I claim that the purpose of this thread is to demonstrate that theists shouldn't be using Pascal's Wager in debates.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
14-12-2013, 08:29 AM
(14-12-2013 07:02 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  It....it actually is.

Pascal concocted the wager under the assumption that Christianity is the only religion, and that the Abrahamic god would send nonbelievers to hell & believers to heaven.

Objectively, the wager *is* faulty because it fails to take anything else into consideration.

Dammit, Ceph! I leave for one hour to go pick up some italian liquour in town, and you proceed to come in here and do all the arguing for me!

*shakes fist*

I feel superfluous now...
[+] 1 user Likes Elcarch's post
14-12-2013, 08:36 AM
(14-12-2013 08:25 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 08:21 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Re-read the first post in this thread. Its purpose was to make Pascal "spin in his grave". It had nothing to do with theists using it in a debate.
What is it with you and your inability to address what people actually say?

At no point did I claim that the purpose of this thread is to demonstrate that theists shouldn't be using Pascal's Wager in debates.

I'm sorry if I took your statement the wrong way.

What do you think the purpose(s) of the thread to be? I see one purpose was to express amusement in Pascal's demise....I'm a little saddened that you actually "liked" that sick post.
14-12-2013, 08:47 AM
[Image: 43857560.jpg]

[Image: 43857672.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop